setup:
2008 lsv
stock kenwood HU
stock cabin kicker cabin speakers
stock kicker amp 400.4?
exile XM-9 1 pr on tower
exile ZLD
exile 800 for tower

while out the other day, noticed the sound was gone, thought my iphone had died, changed zld off aux to listen to radio on HU, no sound.

looked at HU and display says protect mode looked at iphone, still battery, plays when disconnected from zld

HU manual says that protect mode means speaker wires have crossed.

i have not been around to do much trouble shooting, but any ideas on what to look for? what would have caused this? anything?

thanks!

kaneboats
07-12-2013, 10:17 AM
First check all your av cable connections. Pull them off and put them back on. Check your power supply all the way through. Pros?

EarmarkMarine
07-12-2013, 11:18 AM
setup:
2008 lsv
stock kenwood HU
stock cabin kicker cabin speakers
stock kicker amp 400.4?
exile XM-9 1 pr on tower
exile ZLD
exile 800 for tower

while out the other day, noticed the sound was gone, thought my iphone had died, changed zld off aux to listen to radio on HU, no sound.

looked at HU and display says protect mode looked at iphone, still battery, plays when disconnected from zld

HU manual says that protect mode means speaker wires have crossed.

i have not been around to do much trouble shooting, but any ideas on what to look for? what would have caused this? anything?

thanks!

It doesn't appear that your HU is directly driving any speakers.
It's doubtful that the HU could read crossed wires at the amplifier terminals.
It's doubtful that one amplifier problem would impact the other amplifier.
If it was the HU creating the issue, then you could still use the ZLD Aux direct.
So what audio components in the signal path are common to the problem? Start by checking if the amplifiers are powering up. If not then they likely share a common breaker or fuse at the power source.
CHECK THE VOLTAGE. You may have a loose ground or supply terminal as vibration in boats can take a toll.
A hard reset on the HU won't hurt. Unplug the power, let it sit for 10 minutes and reconnect, or it may have a reset provision. This is a concern after a low voltage event.
Never unplug and re-attach any audio connections without powering down everything first.

David

kaneboats
07-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Never unplug and re-attach any audio connections without powering down everything first.

There's some great advice there. That should go in the Tip of the Week thread.

yearround
07-13-2013, 08:30 PM
David, you called it right on. I finally got some time to look last night. The HU is only connected to the ZLD. looked at the amps and no power to either. Could not find anything wrong at first. While hanging out at tie up today another guy crawled in and found a screw loose on the main power block. Tighten it up and boom. We were enjoying music via XM9.

moombadaze
07-13-2013, 09:01 PM
good call from David, thanks for helping out, heck this could help me out some day