PDA

View Full Version : Safety Question? Just tossing it out there...............

iwaterskihard
07-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Love seeing all the pictures of everyone having fun and enjoying what we love to do.

I have a question and don't want to upset anyone but I see quite a few pictures of kids on this site enjoying wakeboarding and doing very well at it.

My question is this - as a pure slalom skier and barefooter (nothing else) I wonder why some kids aren't wearing helmets when wakeboarding?

My 15 year old daughter slalom ski's, barefoots, and wakeboards amoung all the other silly things she likes to do out on the water. But I ALWAYS make her wear a helmet when she is wakeboarding! Reason is simple. Friends bro is a doctor and said kids heads will hit the water WAY harder falling on a wakeboard than any other instrument or toy we use on the water purely based on simple fact of catching an edge and body positioning when the slam happens.

I wonder why some of you say it's ok or why you're ok without using a lid until they get good?

My daughter fought me once on wearing it and on the very next ride bit it hard and was crying when we came back to pick her up. She has NEVER argued since that day.

Just looking for some response and feedback is all? Please remember I'm NOT pointing fingers here at anyone or saying I'm right! Just looking for response! :)

NateHaskovec
07-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Love seeing all the pictures of everyone having fun and enjoying what we love to do.

I have a question and don't want to upset anyone but I see quite a few pictures of kids on this site enjoying wakeboarding and doing very well at it.

My question is this - as a pure slalom skier and barefooter (nothing else) I wonder why some kids aren't wearing helmets when wakeboarding?

My 15 year old daughter slalom ski's, barefoots, and wakeboards amoung all the other silly things she likes to do out on the water. But I ALWAYS make her wear a helmet when she is wakeboarding! Reason is simple. Friends bro is a doctor and said kids heads will hit the water WAY harder falling on a wakeboard than any other instrument or toy we use on the water purely based on simple fact of catching an edge and body positioning when the slam happens.

I wonder why some of you say it's ok or why you're ok without using a lid until they get good?

My daughter fought me once on wearing it and on the very next ride bit it hard and was crying when we came back to pick her up. She has NEVER argued since that day.

Just looking for some response and feedback is all? Please remember I'm NOT pointing fingers here at anyone or saying I'm right! Just looking for response! :)

My kids don't wear helmets just due to the simple fact that I think that catching an edge followed by catching the edge of the helmet hitting the water will do more harm than good.

I ride a lot faster, harder, and have a lot farther to call than my kids. I have torn the inside of my eyelid, yet never suffered a concussion. Of all the wakeboarders I have ever known, I have yet to meet a concussion victim.

I also have progressively moved my kids up in speed. I started them at 14 and both have worked up to 19.5 and 16.5. They don't go faster until they stop catching edges. For learning new tricks, we slow back down to 16.

A helmet may seem intuitive, but my kids will not wear one unless they go to a cable park. If there were any proof at all that a helmet would prevent injury, I would consider it. As it is all I can see it doing is making face plants worse.

jester
07-12-2013, 01:00 AM
There is a lot of talk about waring a helmet and if it does more good then harm. I have not seen a study about it yet but hope someone is working on it. I always have my helmet on not just to protect my head but the ear flaps do a wonder to keep water out of my ears.

Now for kids waring a helmet. I also keep my speed low when pulling kids. When my nephew starts to ride I will be purchasing him one and it will be required for him to ride. If nothing else it will keep his hair out of his eyes. Sorry I am not much help but if you have a little extra padding it should help if it is put on correct.

cornrickey
07-12-2013, 01:37 AM
Although I dont agree with the doctor regarding the physics, I do agree with the idea of helmets. Helmets dont eliminate injury they lessen them by spreading the force over a larger area.

Gabbyg88
07-12-2013, 07:30 AM
I know someone that hit so hard that it ripped his board off his feet and also ended up in the hospital for a concussion because he was not wearing a helmet. He now wears a helmet every time on the water.

brain_rinse
07-12-2013, 08:01 AM
I had one bad memory loss concussion that landed me in the ER. I wear a helmet now and my kids will too.

sandm
07-12-2013, 08:33 AM
no kids so no horse in this race, but if I was towing someone elses kid, I'd probably ask them if they had one, more from a legal standpoint as it seems in this world there are too many looking for a free ride. one trip to the hospital and some major bills, I don't care what kind of friend they are, that thought will cross them.

what would do wonders to push the issue would be the pro riders wearing them consistently, but seems most of them don't even see the need to wear a "true" uscg approved jacket..

Ian Brantford
07-12-2013, 09:02 AM
I have had a selection of helmets on my boat since 2005 and had lots of feedback from a couple of dozen people. Lots of sizes and shapes with lots of crashes. A couple of concussions and several more regrets. Let me take you straight to the answer about helmets and watersports:

Yes, they offer protection from impact (for skull and ears) that far outweighs any risk of catching an edge. However, they MUST fit properly. If they don't, any play will result in the water slamming the helmet into the head.

I have not had helmets for most kids simply because such sizes were virtually impossible to find until recently. I found one kid-sized helmet, but it turned out to be a poor design (too wide) and we never bring it anymore. My teenage nephew has usually worn a helmet, but lately has been skipping it because he says it blocks him from spotting a landing with some new trick. This isn't around his friends, so I'll believe him.

Most of my helmets have been Pro-Tec Wake helmets. However, last year I got a Bern "hard hat" for a new rider and it's much better. The Pro-Tec have comparatively thin padding with an internal strap for adjustment. The strap's fasteners are very flimsy and slip away far too easily. The Bern has no internal strap, replacing it with two layers of thicker internal foam, graduated in density. This is a MUCH better solution for the full range of impacts from soft to hard.

The Pro-Tec helmets have better venting on the ear cups than the Bern ones. I simply drilled out slightly bigger holes in the Bern ear flaps.

Ian Brantford
07-12-2013, 09:04 AM
I also recommend a Neck Roll and crash goggles for safety.

http://www.cinchmax.com/id3.html

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=4427

yearround
07-12-2013, 09:26 AM
+1 for the helmet.
i took a spill and had a concussion. probably should have gone to Dr. but did not. totally missed a couple riders, but they let me drive.

last fall i was just out for a real quick ride with a plan to just ride and not do anything. caught a strange edge and ruptured my ear drum. it did not heal properly, had timpanoplasty to correct it 5 months later. i have some permanent hearing loss.

i have a helmet since the concussion, i usually wear it, but not always. had i worn the helmet i would not have damaged my ear drum.

i have no issue with helmets. suggest them all the time, but i don't enforce too much.

KG's Supra24
07-12-2013, 10:00 AM
We actually picked up a helmet last week for our daughter. She took a fall last year where she almost hit her head on the board and momma ruled out wakeboarding until she had a helmet.

Having a properly sized helmet is probably the key to how much protection it provides.

We ended up with a Liquid Force model.

smorris7
07-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Check out this link on Braden Johnson. He was a member of the National Championship Team for TX. He was injured in a wakeboarding accident several year ago. Almost killed him.
http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111308aad.html

NateHaskovec
07-12-2013, 11:14 AM
I know someone that hit so hard that it ripped his board off his feet and also ended up in the hospital for a concussion because he was not wearing a helmet. He now wears a helmet every time on the water.

How do you know it was because he was not wearing a helmet?

This is an assumption not a fact.

Concussions are caused by a rapid deceleration of the head, causing the brain to change position inside the skull.

There are too many variables involved to even make an educated guess as to the protection a wakeboarder is provided by a helmet .

It seems like a helmet "should" help, but it also seems like driving a truck with the tailgate down "should" save gas.

brain_rinse
07-12-2013, 11:26 AM
There are too many variables involved to even make an educated guess as to the protection a wakeboarder is provided by a helmet .

Sorry, Nate, but I completely disagree. Helmets have been proven in many other sports and activities to help reduce the risk of concussion due to rapid deceleration (not just impact.) So assuming that wakeboarding is somehow different is the only uneducated guess in my opinion. I'm not saying everyone has to choose to wear one, but suggesting that a helmet won't help protect you?! C'mon man.

NateHaskovec
07-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Sorry, Nate, but I completely disagree. Helmets have been proven in many other sports and activities to help reduce the risk of concussion due to rapid deceleration (not just impact.) So assuming that wakeboarding is somehow different is the only uneducated guess in my opinion. I'm not saying everyone has to choose to wear one, but suggesting that a helmet won't help protect you?! C'mon man.

Helmets are worn in most sports as protection against skull fractures. Helmets provide some protection (not much) against solid objects when it comes to concussions (water is not a solid object).

The NFL is dealing with this problem as we speak. The reason there is no such thing as a concussion proof helmet is because it is nearly impossible to engineer one that is practical for sports.

If I get hurt wearing board shorts, and then ride for 20 years in speedos injury free, it would not be a valid argument for me to claim the speedos protected me from injury.

I am not saying a helmet won't help. I am saying there is no proof and any guess as to a helmets benefits on the water is just a guess.

My belief is the increased profile your head has with a helmet on it will increase your chances of head/neck injury while on the water.

Luckily we are all allowed to believe what want.

kaneboats
07-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Until they legislate on it and you have to comply. Notice the goal of the article was to get a helmet law passed. I don't care if they help or not or if you want to wear one or not. It think it should be up to me if I want to wear one. No more nanny state BS.

wolfeman131
07-12-2013, 12:25 PM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x113/Hrothgar999/democracy.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/Hrothgar999/media/democracy.jpg.html)

tnbrooks01
07-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Speaking from experience an improperly fitted or poorly designed helmet can and will do just as much damage as going without. It is my opinion that while improving the designs and technology of MOST ski,skate, wake style helmets are still subpar in the proper fit area and are only enforced in a park environment to protect the park owner not the rider. IMO the Capix and the Bern are showing the most improvement by going down lower below the base of the skull but still don't really have custom padding options to fit different shapes and head sizes.

My son has the Pro-tec 2face helmet which he wears only it at the cable because its mandatory and we have no expectation that it is providing any sort of "protection" for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabbyg88
07-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Nate, if I can lessen the chance of receiving a concussion by wearing a helmet, I will take the chance and wear a helmet. I wear a helmet while wakeboarding and so will my daughter when she is old enough to ride. I have taken a few nasty falls that knocked teeth loose and folded the eye lids back and feel that the helmet saved me from concussions.

NateHaskovec
07-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Nate, if I can lessen the chance of receiving a concussion by wearing a helmet, I will take the chance and wear a helmet. I wear a helmet while wakeboarding and so will my daughter when she is old enough to ride. I have taken a few nasty falls that knocked teeth loose and folded the eye lids back and feel that the helmet saved me from concussions.

I'm not telling anyone not to wear a helmet. If it makes you feel safer, then it is worth the peace of mind.

I don't believe they provide any protection from concussions, but that is a personal belief. It is something that can't be proven or dis-proven.

I have also had my clock cleaned and have had some 23mph diggers and faceplants. I have never worn a helmet, and never suffered a concussion.

My 7 year old (just turned 7) decided he was gonna "go big" on Wednesday. He took a monster cut torwards the wake (seated position) popped early and took the worst imaginable faceplant. We heard the slap on the boat. I will post a video later.

When we circled around, we expected him to be crying. He was laughing and asking to see the video. We only tow him at 16.5 mph. Until he is under complete control (stops catching edges and can jump and land HS one wake consistently) I will not pull him faster.

When he starts to go for TS jumps, it will be back to 16mph.

TeamAllen
07-12-2013, 03:21 PM
We started wearing a helmet for the ear protection. I read about a few ear drums being ruptured and bought a Pro-Tech helmet. No one had a problem before wearing the helmet nor since wearing the helmet. I hope it stays that way.

parrothd
07-12-2013, 04:22 PM
We started wearing a helmet for the ear protection. I read about a few ear drums being ruptured and bought a Pro-Tech helmet. No one had a problem before wearing the helmet nor since wearing the helmet. I hope it stays that way.

Yea, that's why I bought one, with the ear flaps...The cushioning or padding in the helmets is only 1/2 of hard foam(maybe less?). There's really no concussion protection in that. I think they're made to protect your head from being cut open, not preventing concussions..

iwaterskihard
07-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Until they legislate on it and you have to comply. Notice the goal of the article was to get a helmet law passed. I don't care if they help or not or if you want to wear one or not. It think it should be up to me if I want to wear one. No more nanny state BS.

Kane - I was not trying to get a helmet law passed at all with this thread! I simply wanted some feedback from others who board? Personally I think the stupid thing is a crutch for people who can't waterski but then again that's MY opinion and mine only! :)

As a Canadian and many year hockey player there is no arguement that anyone on this site can give me that says a helmet doesn't or won't help? Yes I know that concussion is the result of that sudden stop for the brain. But a helmet DOES offer some protection if it fits properly and is worn properly.

I think I seen someone write that water isn't as hard as other mediums and that can't be more wrong! I have suffered MANY an injury while skiing and know that hitting the water coming off the second wake at 65mph is lkike hitting concrete.

My point is with skiing injuries are there too...........just that the head isn't the main point of contact as it is in boarding!

smokedog2
07-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Wow. All I said was skip the map and walk the trail and I got drilled. With heads this hard, who needs a helmet. +1 has to fit, +1 more belly flop than dive, +1 Likely edge to wearing it, but I do not. 360 in the air boys do. +1 helmets def help when wake skate meets head. When working new stuff they are worn, at least we tried.

kaneboats
07-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Not your post -- the TX Longhorn story-- they are now trying to get a law passed. Why not just raise awareness and let people know their options? Not good enough. We have to FORCE people to comply. On every issue. I'm just sick of it. I board about 20 MPH. I jump wake to wake--sometimes. I have no aerials and never will. I'm getting old and have bad knees but love to ride my wakeboard. I don't want to wear a helmet. I'd probably quit wakeboarding if I had to wear one. Let's not legislate me into selling my boat cuz some TX football guy busted his head wakeboarding. Maybe he should have been wearing a helmet maybe not. But, it was his decision and it's mine too. That's all I'm saying.

NateHaskovec
07-12-2013, 11:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_jl_GPrWzc

As promised, my 7 year old (just turned 7) catching the worst edge possible at 16mph.

What would a helmet do except stop his head faster or whip his neck harder.

He was laughing when we picked him up.

kaneboats
07-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Well, in fairness. That's one kind of fall, not the only kind. I'm not arguing that there's no legitimate use for a helmet. My rant is that it's not the be all and end all that's gonna save everybody from all injuries. It should be a choice and folks should be made aware.

NateHaskovec
07-13-2013, 01:27 AM
Well, in fairness. That's one kind of fall, not the only kind. I'm not arguing that there's no legitimate use for a helmet. My rant is that it's not the be all and end all that's gonna save everybody from all injuries. It should be a choice and folks should be made aware.

I fully agree.

My point is that saying someone's kids are unsafe without a helmet is nothing more than an assumption.

There are risks with anything we do. I just don't like someone telling me that I am being irresponsible for not using a piece of safety gear that IMO could worsen an injury.

If my boys were to encounter a log, or a dock I know a helmet would help. Hitting the water... I just don't buy it. I believe it could do more harm than good.