PDA

View Full Version : center bag drain problem... i'm stumped

timmer62
07-02-2013, 06:34 PM
i have an '08 gravity games xlv with gravity 3 stock system. center bag fills fine, but won't drain. pump is definitely energized when i hit the empty toggle. i disconnected the drain hose at the exhaust port of the drain pump and hit the empty toggle and demonstrated that pump is impeller is fine (shot water into the storage locker).

I figured the drain hose might be kinked between the pump and the drain port on the front starboard side just below the rub rail. Attempted to trace the hose from the pump and found that it was routed under the floor toward the aft end beyond my reach. attempted to trace the hose from the drain and found it went under the floor in front of the dash, again out of my reach. So I could not ascertain if there is a kink.

Connected a garden hose to the drain line to see if I could push any debris/clog from the line. tried this from both ends/directions with no luck.

I'm thinking of simply installing a new drain hose from the pump to the drain port with more direct routing I believe the hose connected to this port is dedicated to the center ballast bag drain, but I'm not sure.

Before I disconnect the existing hose and install a new one between the pump and drain port, I want to be sure this hose is not part of a shared circuit or other subsystem.

Appreciate any help/guidance.

bergermaister
07-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Connected a garden hose to the drain line to see if I could push any debris/clog from the line. tried this from both ends/directions with no luck.

Got a mouse in there over the winter??

Try the garden hose from the thru hull fitting on the boat pushing backwards down the tube into the boat maybe. Or perhaps an air compressor.

moombadaze
07-03-2013, 03:01 PM
could also try wet/dry vacum held up to the side thru hull

timmer62
07-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Got a mouse in there over the winter??

Try the garden hose from the thru hull fitting on the boat pushing backwards down the tube into the boat maybe. Or perhaps an air compressor.

tried with a water hose, but no luck. do you know if the forward starboard thru hull fitting is dedicated to the center ballast drain? If so, I think i'll just install a new drain line between the thru hull and the pump and not worry about it. i have two other thru hulls just below the rub rail, both aft starboard. one is connected to the bilge pump, the other to the two aft ballast bags, so I'm pretty sure the forward starboard thru hull is dedicated to the center ballast drain. Hoping to get confirmation. thanks

bergermaister
07-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Can't give you a positive on that but there's nothing else that would be draining that far up so I'd say yes. New hose is cheap. However before going through the effort to route a new hose I'd buy a hunk and hook it to the drain port first. Route it over the side and turn the pump on. Make sure the pump has the pushing power to get the water out and truly eliminate a pump or impeller problem from the equation.

moombadaze
07-03-2013, 04:20 PM
I'd say yes--my 03,08,13 LSV's all vented the ski locker overboard on the drivers side in front of the driver

squeeg333
07-09-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm actually really curious how hard it would be to pull a new line here. I have ended up with a slight kink in my hose right near the ski-locker pump, and the space is so tight I can't repair it. I don't think it'll have any impact on performance, but I am curious how tight of a turn that hose makes from the ski locker up thru the hump in the floor and out the drivers side. Seems like a hell of a routing.

jmvotto
07-09-2013, 10:04 PM
With the obv the drain went out the opening under the hump, which was mid way up the ski locker. Should not be any really tight turns and easy to replace if necessary.

squeeg333
07-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Hmm, that's interesting. On my LSV is goes out the rear of the ski locker, where the inlet comes in from the back of the boat. I do like that idea of re-routing it thru that opening under the hump. Could be less tight corners that way.

cab13367
07-10-2013, 02:58 PM
On my 2006 LSV, the drain hose for the center bag is definitely a dedicated line so yours should be the same. The easy way to tell is to take note of where the water comes out when you drain each of your rear bags - they should drain via their own drain hole, both are towards the back of the boat, one to port, one to starboard. Then you know the one in front is a dedicated drain line for the front bag.

cab13367
07-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. On my LSV is goes out the rear of the ski locker, where the inlet comes in from the back of the boat. I do like that idea of re-routing it thru that opening under the hump. Could be less tight corners that way.

Squeeg, see the picture below of my boat when I pulled the floor while installing the heater. You can see the fill line and the drain line to the front bag. You would just have to remove the front section of the floor to gain access to the drain hose.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_6349.jpg

blackout_58
07-10-2013, 06:37 PM
I must say, I have a 2011 21V and just this past weekend out I experienced the same problem. I am not sure what could be causing the block, but I also ohad no luck when trying to empty. I tried the water hose idea, but not the shop vac(probably next), but I was thinking of running a borescope down the hose to check for a blockage. I'm curious to see what I find as the pumps all seemed to work fine and there were no tripped circuits.

jmvotto
07-10-2013, 08:09 PM
I thought all boats pre 09 drained the center bag near the driver.
My obv had only gi so I added the rear ballast and drained them on the rear

squeeg333
07-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Squeeg, see the picture below of my boat when I pulled the floor while installing the heater. You can see the fill line and the drain line to the front bag. You would just have to remove the front section of the floor to gain access to the drain hose.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_6349.jpg

Al, awesome, thanks man! That's a perfect shot of how that's routed. I assumed it was exactly like this, but a picture is worth at least 5 words!!!

Real stupid question, but when you put the floor panels back, could you see the screw heads? Right now, mine are mostly covered with the carpet, and I'd like to keep it that way....

Thanks man

kaneboats
07-11-2013, 12:40 PM
You just comb the carpet back over them. Part the carpet when you start the screws and then comb it back over when you have them tight. (Leave Dusty's Mom out of that one.)

cab13367
07-11-2013, 06:21 PM
^^ What kane said :)