PDA

View Full Version : Trailer riding low

jester
07-02-2013, 12:43 AM
On one side of my trailer my tire has a lot of clearance. On the other side not so much. We are talking about being able to fit my hand in between without an issue to hitting my hand on both top and bottom. It is a 2008 boat mate trailer. Below are two photo's so you can see. Any help on what it is and how to fix it would be great.

Correct.
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m429/j3stert/20130701_203441.jpg (http://s334.photobucket.com/user/j3stert/media/20130701_203441.jpg.html)

a little low.
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m429/j3stert/20130701_203521.jpg (http://s334.photobucket.com/user/j3stert/media/20130701_203521.jpg.html)

brain_rinse
07-02-2013, 12:51 AM
You almost definitely need to have your torsion axle replaced... sorry dude. Contact your dealer or boatmate directly to see if they can help you out.

04OUTBACK
07-02-2013, 01:17 AM
The dreaded torsion axle. Right on the 5 year mark!
Call jerry at boat mate

rdlangston13
07-02-2013, 03:43 AM
Maybe you left the bag full on one side hahaha.

The torsion axle thing scares me so much that I don't want that to be your problem

Sent from my iPhone

newty
07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Has it always been that way?
There is an adjustment that can be made if the torsion is good.

jester
07-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Guys thank you for the responses. I do not know how long it has been that way. I have never noticed it until it was pointed out. My guess it has been this way for years if not since i purchased the boat in 2008.

newty
07-02-2013, 12:02 PM
If thats the case, take your wheel off and look at that big nut where the hub assembly attaches to the torsion housing. You can loosen the assembly and rotate it to match the other side. Guys will do this to fit bigger tire/wheels, or to lower the trailer for garage issues.

jester
07-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Thank you for the help. You do not happen to know the size of the "big nut" and how much to re torque it?

bergermaister
07-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Did he just ask you how big your nuts are???

mnpracing
07-02-2013, 01:11 PM
UNIQUE FUNCTIONAL PRODUCTS
SERVICE BULLETIN

Subject: Replacement of torsion axle.
Application: Torsion axle trailers.
Condition: Rubber suspension element failure allowing trailer tire to contact
fender.

Tools Required: Air wrench; torque wrench; ¾” socket (for lug nuts); 15/16”
socket and wrench (for axle trailing arm and axle mounting bolts); 3/8” flair
wrench (for brake lines); floor jack; jack stands.
If any trailer tire has significantly less fender clearance when compared to the
other trailer tire(s), axle will have to be replaced.

To Remove Axle:
Step 1: Jack up trailer and set on jack stands such that the tires and wheels and
the defective trailer axle can be removed.
Step 2: Remove tires and wheels, setting aside the lug nuts, which will be reused.
Step 3: Remove 5/8” bolt and nut from each axle trailing arm using the 15/16”
socket and wrench. The bolt must be completely removed. Slide the trailing arm
off of the splined axle shaft. (Note: If the trailing arm is hard to remove, insert a
wedge, such as a screwdriver, into the slot of the trailing arm to spread it open
for easier removal).
Step 4: Carefully hang the trailing arm from the trailer frame using a wire tie or
rope. Be careful to not stress the brake line or brake hose.
Step 5: Remove the (4) 5/8” bolts and nuts that attach the axle to the trailer frame
using the 15/16” socket and wrench. Slide axle down to clear trailer frame
brackets and remove.

To Replace Axle:
Step 1: Install axle and bolt into the trailer frame brackets. (Note: The axle
mounting bracket is not centered over the square axle tube. The long part of the
mounting bracket should be facing toward the rear of the trailer). Torque the (4)
5/8” bolts and nuts to 150 ft.-lbs.
Step 2: On BoatMate ski boat trailers, there are only two trailing arm positions
used. The only axle that is set to 24 (+/- 2) degrees below horizontal will be a
single axle that has a 15” wheel and five lugs. All other single axles (14” 5-lug
and 15” 6-lug) and all tandem axles are set to 18 (+/-2) degrees below horizontal.
Each spline on the shaft moves the trailing arm angle by 6 degrees. If an angle
finder is available, make certain the top of the axle tube is level and position the
trailing arm to the correct angle as shown in photo.
On BoatMate runabout trailers, there is only one trailing arm position regardless
of axle. This angle is 30 (+/-2) degrees below horizontal. Again, each spline on
the shaft moves the trailing arm angle by 6 degrees.
If angle finder is not available, position trailing arm horizontally then move down
the correct number of splines. Move three splines for the 18 degree setting, four
splines for the 24 degree setting and 5 splines for the 30 degree setting..
Slide the trailing arm onto the shaft. . (Note: If you are having trouble installing
the trailing arm, insert a wedge, such as a screwdriver, into the slot of the trailing
arm to spread it open for easier installation). Bolt the trailing arms to the splined
shafts using the 5/8”x 3-1/2” long bolt, washer and nylock nut. Torque bolts and
nuts to 150 ft.-lbs.
Step 3: (For brake axle only) Re-attach brake lines and bleed trailer brakes. This
may not be necessary if the instructions from step for in the Removal section
have been followed.
Step 4: Re-install wheels and tires. (Note: If equipped, care should be taken not
to damage the wheel plastic hub insert). Hand torque lug nuts to 95 ft.-lbs. using
the every other bolt method.

tnbrooks01
07-02-2013, 01:24 PM

That's the way I read it.... I'm exiting this thread now!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newty
07-02-2013, 01:40 PM

No he asked how big my nut (singular) was...Sheesh!

moombadaze
07-02-2013, 01:56 PM
gota be the right one, as the left one is the one every guys is willing to give up

jester
07-02-2013, 02:04 PM
It is always about dropping or pulling the left one. Wait I should stop now before this gets really bad.

Jerry got back to me on when it fails it really fails and how to adjust it. I guess I will try this tonight and see if I drop a trailer on myself or how much more of a problem I create.

bergermaister
07-02-2013, 02:14 PM
No he asked how big my nut (singular) was...Sheesh!

So you only have one? Dude what happened!

newty
07-02-2013, 03:33 PM
So you only have one? Dude what happened!

So there I was... chicken in one hand, tennis racket in the other... maybe another time.

jester
07-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Wait I know this story. It really gets good when you say "Hold my beer well i try this"

jester
07-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Ok I went out and took some more photos since I now know what I am looking at. First pic is of the side with clearance. it is sitting at about 5* with a loaded trailer. Second photo is of the side without clearance. it is sitting at 28*. My issue right now is if I pull it off and there is damage to the splines since it has moved this much. Should this be an issue?

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m429/j3stert/20130702_195240.jpg (http://s334.photobucket.com/user/j3stert/media/20130702_195240.jpg.html)

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m429/j3stert/20130702_195135.jpg (http://s334.photobucket.com/user/j3stert/media/20130702_195135.jpg.html)

mnpracing
07-03-2013, 08:10 AM
It's easy to pull off...I would doubt there's damage to the splines unless the bolt didn't get torqued correctly at the factory. My guess is either the torsion internals settled, or they installed the hub at the wrong angle to begin with. Not harm in pulling it to see what you got. 150lbs torque based on my post above with the UFP service bulletin.

jyj1189
07-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Same thing just happened to me on the 4th, but the tire on mine went all the way to the fender leaving a trail of smoke and melted rubber. I've been trying to get in touch with Boatmate but they're closed til Monday. Anyone have any ideas on the repair cost?

Jr.
2008 Outback V

jmb
07-07-2013, 07:51 AM
It cost me $450.00 two years ago. That is axle, brake lines and painted. Did the work myself. Call Jerry at Boatmate.

jyj1189
07-07-2013, 06:05 PM
That's actually less than i was thinking. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Easy to change or do I need to be mechanically talented to do it?

moombahighrider
07-07-2013, 06:38 PM
I'd say moderate mechanical knowledge and tools required...

UNIQUE FUNCTIONAL PRODUCTS
SERVICE BULLETIN

Subject: Replacement of torsion axle.
Application: Torsion axle trailers.
Condition: Rubber suspension element failure allowing trailer tire to contact
fender.

Tools Required: Air wrench; torque wrench; ¾” socket (for lug nuts); 15/16”
socket and wrench (for axle trailing arm and axle mounting bolts); 3/8” flair
wrench (for brake lines); floor jack; jack stands.
If any trailer tire has significantly less fender clearance when compared to the
other trailer tire(s), axle will have to be replaced.

To Remove Axle:
Step 1: Jack up trailer and set on jack stands such that the tires and wheels and
the defective trailer axle can be removed.
Step 2: Remove tires and wheels, setting aside the lug nuts, which will be reused.
Step 3: Remove 5/8” bolt and nut from each axle trailing arm using the 15/16”
socket and wrench. The bolt must be completely removed. Slide the trailing arm
off of the splined axle shaft. (Note: If the trailing arm is hard to remove, insert a
wedge, such as a screwdriver, into the slot of the trailing arm to spread it open
for easier removal).
Step 4: Carefully hang the trailing arm from the trailer frame using a wire tie or
rope. Be careful to not stress the brake line or brake hose.
Step 5: Remove the (4) 5/8” bolts and nuts that attach the axle to the trailer frame
using the 15/16” socket and wrench. Slide axle down to clear trailer frame
brackets and remove.

To Replace Axle:
Step 1: Install axle and bolt into the trailer frame brackets. (Note: The axle
mounting bracket is not centered over the square axle tube. The long part of the
mounting bracket should be facing toward the rear of the trailer). Torque the (4)
5/8” bolts and nuts to 150 ft.-lbs.
Step 2: On BoatMate ski boat trailers, there are only two trailing arm positions
used. The only axle that is set to 24 (+/- 2) degrees below horizontal will be a
single axle that has a 15” wheel and five lugs. All other single axles (14” 5-lug
and 15” 6-lug) and all tandem axles are set to 18 (+/-2) degrees below horizontal.
Each spline on the shaft moves the trailing arm angle by 6 degrees. If an angle
finder is available, make certain the top of the axle tube is level and position the
trailing arm to the correct angle as shown in photo.
On BoatMate runabout trailers, there is only one trailing arm position regardless
of axle. This angle is 30 (+/-2) degrees below horizontal. Again, each spline on
the shaft moves the trailing arm angle by 6 degrees.
If angle finder is not available, position trailing arm horizontally then move down
the correct number of splines. Move three splines for the 18 degree setting, four
splines for the 24 degree setting and 5 splines for the 30 degree setting..
Slide the trailing arm onto the shaft. . (Note: If you are having trouble installing
the trailing arm, insert a wedge, such as a screwdriver, into the slot of the trailing
arm to spread it open for easier installation). Bolt the trailing arms to the splined
shafts using the 5/8”x 3-1/2” long bolt, washer and nylock nut. Torque bolts and
nuts to 150 ft.-lbs.
Step 3: (For brake axle only) Re-attach brake lines and bleed trailer brakes. This
may not be necessary if the instructions from step for in the Removal section
have been followed.
Step 4: Re-install wheels and tires. (Note: If equipped, care should be taken not
to damage the wheel plastic hub insert). Hand torque lug nuts to 95 ft.-lbs. using
the every other bolt method.

jmb
07-07-2013, 08:42 PM
If I can do it, anybody can do it. Do you have air and an impact? Helps a lot. Get an angle finder. They are cheap. I took the angle off the good side but Jerry at Boatmate will tell you the angle in the write-up that he will send you. I think this whole axle deal is a bunch of crap if you ask me. To many folks have had to do this. Took me a couple of evenings by myself. Helps to have one other person to help. It can be hard to get the trailing arm off the splines of the axle but use a pry bar and a hammer with a piece of wood to hit against..

04OUTBACK
07-07-2013, 10:13 PM
One Challenge/note... if you are in a hurry.. you may want it shipped unpainted... As they have to wait to get it in the paint line up..
I had them ship mine unpainted.. had everything ready when it got there on a Friday.. prepped it, primed it and had it ready to install on Saturday.. I primed it 2x.. then painted it a few coats of Rust Oleum..
As far as Angle finder, no kidding.. I used an IPHONE Compass app.. it has an angle finder in it.
let me know if you have any questions when you do it.
A couple of suggested needs:
1 floor jack... 4 jack stands.. or something to support the trailer in four locations..

Hardest part.. to me.. getting the splines off and back on....

jester
07-08-2013, 05:53 PM
One thing I have noticed is everyone keeps saying the bolt on is a 15/16. It is more like an 1inch and 1/2. I tryed an 1in and 3/8 with it being too small.

Also one thing you need to make sure you have is the VIN number and Axle number before you call. The Axle number is on a plate on the Axle almost in the middle facing down so you will have to get under the boat to see it. It starts with an A and mine has 6 digits after the A.

jyj1189
07-10-2013, 10:43 AM
So I got the parts ordered, but I didn't have them painted. Wanted the boat back on the water ASAP. Looking for an opinion. The boat and trailer is at a local dealer on their flatbed. Thinking of doing the work myself to save some $. Is it a dick move to ask the guy to bring my boat back to my house and do the work or should I just let him do it?

phospher
07-15-2013, 06:17 PM
I have the same exact issue. I have a 2008 outback DD on single axle boatmate. Its been about a half inch off the fender for some time but I don't know exactly how long. Damn these trailers.

Ian Brantford
07-15-2013, 08:49 PM
My tandem trailer has had a longitudinal (along its length) shimmy since 2009 and now one side is a least 1/2" lower than the other. I probably have the same issue. Dang it.

jester
07-15-2013, 09:12 PM
When......... I get my Axle in I will post a full how to replace since this sounds like a growing issue. It sounds like 5 years is the mark of replacement.

kaneboats
07-16-2013, 08:35 AM
It does from the limited sample here but you can be sure there have been random failures in less time and in more time than you are seeing here.

04OUTBACK
07-16-2013, 08:39 AM
I believe if I remember correctly the supplier of the torsion axles had a bad batch for a few years. 06-08?
And 5 years has been pretty common. My '06 was built in April '06 and broke in sept '11.

Jerry at boatmate was very helpful in getting parts, but being as I was second owner and was just over 5 years they couldn't push warranty.

rdlangston13
07-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Y'all are scaring me! So far my 08 has been trouble free! I did talk to someone with boatmate awhile back and he insured me the problem had been resolved when the 08 trailers came out. From reading the forum it sounds like they were blowing smoke up my rear

Sent from my iPhone

moombahighrider
07-16-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm with you, David. My 08 has been completely trouble free to date. I now have my fingers crossed. I tow long distances every trip so I'm really not wanting to deal with this in the middle of nowhere, if it happens...

newty
07-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Y'all are scaring me! So far my 08 has been trouble free! I did talk to someone with boatmate awhile back and he insured me the problem had been resolved when the 08 trailers came out. From reading the forum it sounds like they were blowing smoke up my rear

Sent from my iPhone

I'm with you, David. My 08 has been completely trouble free to date. I now have my fingers crossed. I tow long distances every trip so I'm really not wanting to deal with this in the middle of nowhere, if it happens...

Mine is an 08, ordered it in January and needed one changed in 2010. I custom ordered my trailer so I know its not a 07 leftover. However the axels could have been built in 07.

jester
07-16-2013, 11:49 AM
I hate to scare people but guess that is what we are doing right now. I went back over the years of photos and noticed a small change in mine each year. Could be the reason I did not notice it until just recently.

I think everyone that has been posting has a single axle trailer. So that might make you feel a little better if you have a dual. Also my Axle number is A449138. Could help to see if yours is in the same range as mine so you know if it might have been the same batch.

jyj1189
07-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Check the year on the trailers. While my Outback is an '08, the trailer is listed as an '07. Also I spoke with the mechanic at the local marina. He's told me the problem starts if you try and back the trailer's without the electrical hooked up. There is a safety mechanism to prevent the trailers from rolling. If you try to back the trailer without it plugged in, the brakes lock and the rubber block in the axle breaks, no longer holding everything in place. So just make sure you plug everything in, even for just a short move.

jmb
07-20-2013, 07:51 AM
This has happened on double axle trailers as well.

04OUTBACK
07-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Jyj
I believe that was the death of mine as I backed mine into garage without wires plugged I think right before when mine failed

kaneboats
07-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Well, I've only tried to do it with the lawnmower and it wouldn't move with the brakes locked so I'm not worried . . . yet.

jester
07-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the advice but I have never moved the trailer without everything hooked up. I am kind of a safety person like that.

rdlangston13
07-21-2013, 03:15 AM
we want to do a houseboat trip on ouchita next summer and i know if mine is going to break its going to do on the way there in the worst possible location lol.

if they have known bad batch of axles there should have been a recall to prevent people from being stranded, hell just send me the axle and i will install it but i have a hard time buying news if mine are not yet broken...

jester
07-21-2013, 12:03 PM
David, I agree that this should be a recall. They know the Axle numbers in the bad batch, they know who their were sold too and the VIN so where is the letter to save people weeks of pain in getting a new one.

jyj1189
07-21-2013, 09:40 PM
My axle is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and I hope to have it repaired next weekend. I'll post about time to repair and any hiccups I run into. I wonder if they have thought about some type of bracket that could be installed if the axle fails while in transit. Something to bolt on to hold things in place for short trips to say home or repair shop. Luckily I broke down only two miles from my house, but still had to pay $150 tow fee to get it home. Luckily a friend only charged me two cases of beer to get it back into the lake and another has a free slip. I bought the boat in Georgia then trailered it home to Massachusetts. I would have been royally screwed if this happened on that trip!

jester
07-22-2013, 01:33 PM
I just replaced mine this weekend. This was a 6 hour job. NOTE if you are going to replace yours start with the WD40 right now. Spray it now and often every bolt and fitting. It will save you time in the end. Full install will be coming tonight or tomorrow.

jester
07-24-2013, 01:59 AM
I have posted a how too replace the axle under the How too section.

parrothd
07-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Pb blaster.. Works better..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Johnschmersal
07-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Hello all.

I too have a 2008 LSV. However, my issue is the tires being cambered out and on one side the hub is getting hot. I changed the bearings but saw no wear on the spindle or heat/rust marks on the bearings. Anyone else see this with the lowering problem?

rdlangston13
07-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Hot hub will most likely be a dragging brake rotor

Sent from my iPhone