PDA

View Full Version : Swivel board rack malfunction

LopinLH
06-30-2013, 10:47 PM
I've had a few dangerous moments with our swivel board racks while the boat has been in motion. The locking pin mechanism works itself free with the boats vibrations and swings the boards into the cabin area of the boat. Luckily this has yet to take anybody's head off, but I'm a bit concerned about it. I'm assuming someone else has had the same issue because this has happened to the board racks on each side of our boat. Has anybody found a remedy/solution to this problem? Thanks

-Luke

wolfeman131
06-30-2013, 11:17 PM
I found one of my pins that is at the other end of the knob you pull was stuck. I took the swivel assembly apart and sanded some of the chrome plating to ensure the pin was getting fully set.

Boatdrinks797
06-30-2013, 11:30 PM
I made the mistake earlier today of fastening the bungee cord around the pin and it pulled the pin up while under way and swung the boards around. Lesson learned and no one got hurt.

C.Hern5972
07-01-2013, 07:29 AM
I've had a few dangerous moments with our swivel board racks while the boat has been in motion. The locking pin mechanism works itself free with the boats vibrations and swings the boards into the cabin area of the boat. Luckily this has yet to take anybody's head off, but I'm a bit concerned about it. I'm assuming someone else has had the same issue because this has happened to the board racks on each side of our boat. Has anybody found a remedy/solution to this problem? Thanks

-Luke

Be carefull,

We had this happen 3 weeks ago and it busted a girlfriend in the head pretty dang hard. I had my ddealer look at them and SC is replacing them. They both do it. Id say have the dealer warranty them if they are still under warranty. They will definately bust your melon if not carefull.

tgoody14
07-01-2013, 09:48 AM
When I had to reposition my racks after installing my XM9s I had an eye opening experience!

I unloaded all the boards and installed the speakers. Got done, put the boards back on on one side and realized I couldn't swivel them in anymore without lowering them under the xm9s. Swung that rack back out with the boards still on and left the other rack unloaded and said Id move the racks the next day. Next day I went out and the unloaded rack was still attached but at the base of the tower. My first thought was, that would have knocked somebody completely out if someone was sitting there under a loaded rack. Then I realized the loaded rack was still right where I left it, so I figure the weight of the boards puts just enough angled weight to not allow the mount to slide. I remounted both racks lower and used lock-tite on the main Allen bolt that connects the swivel bar to the mount. No issues since, but I cranked down hard enough that I could almost do a pull-up on the wrench using all my body weight to seal the bolt...

My worst nightmare now is the swivel busting free because they are low enough on the tower that if anybody is sitting under the tower their head will get SMOKED!!!!

I now never drive over 25 and I put the wake plate all the way up and cruise with the nose up to absorb most of the rough water! Less vibration, less chance of having a nightmare come reality...

hitboost
07-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Same thing has happened to my 2013! I had a passenger get pegged in the head so I took it back to the dealership. They said they "tightened some bolts" but it happened again. I'm debating on swapping them out for the fixed racks now. It's a little embarrassing when I have to apologize for a crappy design

ian ashton
07-01-2013, 06:30 PM
That's the 2nd reason I didn't get those racks on my 2013, the first being that the sharp edges don't at all match the swoops rounded edges of the tower.

Chases LSV racks have the ghost swivel option too.

ajqajq
07-01-2013, 09:11 PM
The same thing has happened to me several times. My wife got hit pretty hard by the boards once. Currently, one is worse than the other and we just don't use that rack at all because it's too risky.

My dealer is replacing them under warranty. But, after reading here, I'm beginning to think it's a design flaw--a pretty serious one.

If it continues to happen, I may switch them out for something different. Are aftermarket racks better? Anyone have experience with good swivel racks?