PDA

View Full Version : Hot water on footwell carpet

csm
06-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Cruised accross the lake for dinner last night, and pulling back in, noticed that there was water around the edges of the driver's footwell. It was pretty warm. Took a look around, and the ski locker was filled almost halfway up, so i'm guessing it was sloshing through my speaker wire holes in the locker. I regularly have water in the ski locker and bilge, but not this much in one trip.

I won't be able to hit the water for another week or so, so hoping to get some ideas of where to look. I have a test plug in my ski locker, so that is usually pretty good about stopping bilge water, but the fact that it's warm makes me think it has to be coming from the bilge, and not under the ski locker where I've installed a deck plate.

I just replaced my prop, and had to take it to a shop to get the old prop off because it was totally stuck... took some force, so my first guess is maybe my prop shaft seal, but that sure seems like a lot of water for one trip accross the lake. My other thought was an exhaust leak, which would explain the temp of the water, but I looked around and couldn't see anything wrong there.

Any other thoughts?

mmandley
06-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Do you have a heater? The heater core is normally on the other side of that foot well and has hot water from the engine running to it.

csm
06-29-2013, 11:51 AM
I do. Never used it, but I know it has one. Is there an easy way to get to or inspect the core?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

moombahighrider
06-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Go in under the stbd side bow seat. It's tight but you can get at the heater core and hoses. Could be a frozen/ busted core, if it was not winterized properly.

zabooda
06-29-2013, 01:16 PM
You are an owner of a failed heater core. They also fail over time like mine did. You can get replacement cores.

csm
06-29-2013, 02:06 PM
It definitely didn't freeze. Not even sure we've had freezing temps in the last year. Definitely sound like it has failed though. Can I bypass it if I never care to use it? Maybe install a shutoff valve?

zabooda
06-29-2013, 02:21 PM
I would recommend by passing it by capping it at the engine

mmandley
06-29-2013, 02:26 PM
It definitely didn't freeze. Not even sure we've had freezing temps in the last year. Definitely sound like it has failed though. Can I bypass it if I never care to use it? Maybe install a shutoff valve?

You can by pass it, by the above way or just get a double male connector and hook the two hoses together at the heater core.

csm
06-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Cool thanks guys.

jmvotto
06-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Should be two shutoffs in the engine compartment to close the loop.

moombahighrider
06-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Should be two shutoffs in the engine compartment to close the loop.

Not in my boat. Just two hoses plumbed straight to the engine. I bought a 4' section of hose to bypass the heater core for if I ever need to bypass it.

zabooda
06-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Without the shutoffs and the hoses connected together at the heater end, you will need to winterize that hose section as if the heater was operational. That is why I would recommend capping at the engine.

DOCDRS
06-30-2013, 06:59 PM
No shut offs on my 2009 supra.....have thinking of doing this for safety

jmvotto
06-30-2013, 09:52 PM
No shut offs on my 2009 supra.....have thinking of doing this for safety

Better check my xlv for shutoffs if not its on the fall list.