PDA

View Full Version : Drip from block plug?

Kidder522
06-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Hello Everyone,

Put the boat in last night for it's first time last night and noticed a little drip from the block plug. It was not really fast, but just a drip. I tired to tighten it up, but it seemed to only go so far, and no more. I think I was a little scared of over tightening it as well. I put some teflon tape of the end as well, but it still had a little drip. I am wondering a couple of things:
1. Should I put more teflon tape on since I only put a little on in the first place
2. is a little drip OK? or will it cause real damage over the summer?

Any insight will help me.

Thanks

Kidder

brain_rinse
06-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Are the threads nice and clean on both the plug and block? If so just give it a few more wraps of Teflon tape and you should be good to go.

kaneboats
06-28-2013, 03:02 PM
If not you wanna get a thread cleaner tap to run in there.

Kidder522
06-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks Fellas.

I will be heading out later this week, so I will give it some teflon and cleaning.

Kidder

Mikey
06-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Likely just dirty threads and a bout 5-7 wraps of teflon tape then just snug plug in should work. I'm a plumber and use teflon tape by the ton...

squeeg333
07-09-2013, 07:10 PM
I had a simlar issue on my drain plug (though it's an 08 and located in the back). Teflon tape didn't seem to stop the very slow leak. My drain plug has an o-ring on it, and I just globed some plumbers grease on the oring, tightened the plug up, and it seems to have stopped the leak. Might give that a shot too - that is, if you have the oring...

cab13367
07-10-2013, 03:21 PM
I had a simlar issue on my drain plug (though it's an 08 and located in the back). Teflon tape didn't seem to stop the very slow leak. My drain plug has an o-ring on it, and I just globed some plumbers grease on the oring, tightened the plug up, and it seems to have stopped the leak. Might give that a shot too - that is, if you have the oring...

I think he is talking block plug and you are talking drain plug??

squeeg333
07-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Oops! Good call Al. Sorry about that guys. Disregard my comments, at least as they pertain to the block plug issue!!!