PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Review

01-27-2006, 10:41 PM
I sent this equipment review to a friend that just bought a Supra (why does everyone I know insist on buying the bling). I thought there might be some interest out there.

I just bought two sets of CWB torqu hinge bindings, one pair for me and one pair for my son who is 10. I bought him a hyperlite ERA 124 board off eBay for about $170. Several message boards have recommended that particular board even though it's no longer made.

I have not ridden the Torqu’s yet but I'm pretty sure I'll like them. I bought myself a CWB science Board but the graphics are ugly.

We have several pairs of cheap wakeboard boots scattered around the garage. I strongly recommend you get good ones the first time.

For knee boards (and don't laugh my wife loves them since she has a bad back and will not wakeboard). For knee boards the best learning board I have found to get up out of the water on is O’Brien Black Magic Board but it's a heavy slow board and it's no fun to ride once you get up on it. It's tough on the arms. By far the most fun Kneeboard to ride is O'Brien airageous. If you can get the 1999 airageous, it is much better than the current version. The 2005 is still a good board and my 5 year old’s favorite.

I love to wakeskate but my wakeskate is a used custom demo that I just replaced with a new hyperlite. I got a 141 so that my son could ride as well.

I bought a CWB wake surfboard that is okay (we cannot yet drop the rope) but I wish I had gotten one of these:

http://www.trickboardz.com/

With a little more practice I may change my mind.

I did buy one of these this winter. I’ll let you know what I think.

http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

For tubing (and we tube a lot). The best bang for the buck is a monster tube. Mine is four years old. I do not like the speed zone tubes. You have to go very fast when you start out or the front end digs in and you submarine everyone.

I have a tomcat tube that is ok but hard on the neck if you ride it lying down. Single person tubes are ok but we play tube wars. The kids (6 or so) jump from one tube to the other until someone falls or is pushed off.

Get all your ropes at once so they are the same length if you want to pull multiple tubes or boards. When they say 60’, 65’, 75’ etc. that is more of a guideline.

Spend the money, get good neoprene vests that fit! The off season deals are going away. Get them now or they will gouge your eyes out in a month or two. $39 is a steal, $44 is a deal. Retail is $80 and up.

Same with rash guard shirts.

The best goggles in my opinion are Spex. $10 cheaper from Bart’s than Overton’s.

My equipment review in a nutshell before basketball practice – worth what you paid for it.

Jeff

smokedog2
01-28-2006, 12:47 AM
I sent this equipment review to a friend that just bought a Supra (why does everyone I know insist on buying the bling). I thought there might be some interest out there.

I just bought two sets of CWB torqu hinge bindings, one pair for me and one pair for my son who is 10. I bought him a hyperlite ERA 124 board off eBay for about $170. Several message boards have recommended that particular board even though it's no longer made.

I have not ridden the Torqu’s yet but I'm pretty sure I'll like them. I bought myself a CWB science Board but the graphics are ugly.

We have several pairs of cheap wakeboard boots scattered around the garage. I strongly recommend you get good ones the first time.

For knee boards (and don't laugh my wife loves them since she has a bad back and will not wakeboard). For knee boards the best learning board I have found to get up out of the water on is O’Brien Black Magic Board but it's a heavy slow board and it's no fun to ride once you get up on it. It's tough on the arms. By far the most fun Kneeboard to ride is O'Brien airageous. If you can get the 1999 airageous, it is much better than the current version. The 2005 is still a good board and my 5 year old’s favorite.

I love to wakeskate but my wakeskate is a used custom demo that I just replaced with a new hyperlite. I got a 141 so that my son could ride as well.

I bought a CWB wake surfboard that is okay (we cannot yet drop the rope) but I wish I had gotten one of these:

http://www.trickboardz.com/

With a little more practice I may change my mind.

I did buy one of these this winter. I’ll let you know what I think.

http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

For tubing (and we tube a lot). The best bang for the buck is a monster tube. Mine is four years old. I do not like the speed zone tubes. You have to go very fast when you start out or the front end digs in and you submarine everyone.

I have a tomcat tube that is ok but hard on the neck if you ride it lying down. Single person tubes are ok but we play tube wars. The kids (6 or so) jump from one tube to the other until someone falls or is pushed off.

Get all your ropes at once so they are the same length if you want to pull multiple tubes or boards. When they say 60’, 65’, 75’ etc. that is more of a guideline.

Spend the money, get good neoprene vests that fit! The off season deals are going away. Get them now or they will gouge your eyes out in a month or two. $39 is a steal, $44 is a deal. Retail is $80 and up.

Same with rash guard shirts.

The best goggles in my opinion are Spex. $10 cheaper from Bart’s than Overton’s.

My equipment review in a nutshell – worth what you paid for it.

SD2