PDA

View Full Version : Boat Ramp Crazyness!

Salyers
06-26-2013, 09:57 PM
So I finally got my FAE installed and wanted to go try it out. We get to the ramp and I see a pontoon boat with a bunch of late teens/early twenty something's working on the motor. I asked if I could help and they said no so I hopped on the boat and we went off.

After about 20min of trolling around we started surfing. 20min into surfing I stopped the boat to see how the FAE was doing. I noticed that the connection to the exhaust ports were loose and on side was about to come off( my fault as I hadn't tightened it properly). Tryed to fix it in the water and couldn't do it so we decided to pull it out and I'd fix it on the trailer and We would just put back in.

We came back to the ramp and the same pontoon was sitting in the water blocking the end of the ramp. Dropped my wife off to get the trailer. Waited a 5 min then politely asked them to move their pontoon out of the way if they weren't going to pull out. Got a nasty look but they did move.

We got the boat out and I quickly fixed the issue I had over looked. In the short time it took to tighten up a couple bolts the people with the pontoon had backed their trailer down the ramp and after struggling for about 10min and finally got it loaded..... And then their Truck wouldn't start😞

But it dosent end there. They get another truck down there to tow them out and I swear that the truck that broke down wasn't in neutral because the rear wheels wouldn't turn but the dumb rednecks couldn't figure that out. They ended up unloading the trailer and then the KICKER! They unhooked the trailer which rolled into the water and disappeared off the ramp!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!

This is Only a single ramp, and we are 2nd boat inline in a line of 6 boats to put in!
After about 40min the truck is off the ramp, and trailer has been fished out and they are finally out of the water. It's the craziest thing I have ever seen. And then the Cops showed up because a couple people smelled alcohol on a couple rednecks.

Absolutely the biggest mess I have ever seen. And they didn't seem in a hurry to do anything and were ugly to everyone that asked if they could help. Some people are A-HOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salyers
06-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Needless to say I didn't get to retest my FAE and will have to wait for this weekend:(

E4NASH
06-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Sorry for your luck at the ramp but THAT was THE funniest ramp story I have EVER heard! My kids heard me laughing and ran in here to ask what was so funny. CLASSIC!

Salyers
06-26-2013, 10:21 PM
It's starting to become funnier the more think about it. Only thing that would have made it better was if the pontoon had sunk.....except they would have probably left it sunk at the end of the ramp! They were the most inconsiderate people I've meet at the lake so far, but the boat gods had there justice the more I think about it.

Cigars n scotch
06-26-2013, 10:26 PM
everyone has had a bad ramp story, yours is like any others I imagine. Stupid people exist in all walks of life, not just "rednecks". (and no I'm not a redneck, but I get that a focal point of your story was the people were "rednecks"). Boat ramps can be extremely hectic places where chaos just happens. I probably could share a story about every weekend at my boat ramp.

jester
06-26-2013, 11:07 PM
That is a great story. You have to enjoy watching people at the boat ramps. I use to grab a chair on a busy weekend and just sit at the boat ramp watching the show. This would have been good to watch. Sorry to hear you were in that mess.

KG's Supra24
06-26-2013, 11:20 PM
then the KICKER! They unhooked the trailer which rolled into the water and disappeared off the ramp!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!

LMAO. This is great!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tnbrooks01
06-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Lmao! Where are you from? This sounds like just about every lake in Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salyers
06-27-2013, 07:13 AM
Cleveland, TN just above Chattanooga. We go to Ocoee/Parksville lake. The Ocoee river that feeds the lake was used in the 1996 Olympics for the White Water Events.

Salyers
06-27-2013, 07:30 AM
I don't mean to bash rednecks as I have turned into a moderate form of one(Truck, Boat, Guns, Camo, Hunting, Country Music :). The people that had the pontoon where the stereotypical version that you see on TV talking about a tornado. Think Deliverence without the banjos.....but not too far removed.

I also think must of had a bug up my bottom yesterday because I would normally be laughing about it just like I am while I am writing this!

wolfeman131
06-27-2013, 07:48 AM
It was nice of you to offer to help. In my old age, I've learned it's better to ask and accept help from others. Pride can be an expense vice.

Salyers
06-27-2013, 08:24 AM
I try to keep my Karma bank as full as I can. I had just towed someone in last weekend. They said they had been trying to flag people down for 30-40min but no one would stop. That really bugged me too.

I have needed the kindness of strangers before, both on and off the water. I know I will need it again in the future!

As for pride being expensive, I think the truck that broke down will need a new transmission because it was making a horrible metallic sound and the rear wheels where very resistive to turning!

jstenger
06-27-2013, 08:27 AM
We have a great view of a boat ramp from our cottage porch. As we were eating lunch, the following happened. A woman backed a boat and trailer down the ramp and into water. A man got out of the passenger side to unhook the boat. As he was behind the truck, the truck and trailer started to roll. He jumped out of the way and the woman jumped out of the truck. We all watched the truck and trailer dissappear into 8' of water. Luckily no one was hurt, and the best I have seen so far.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk 2

maxpower220
06-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Classic.

I had a guy and woman who couldn't get there boat out of the water. So be honest, the ramp was slick. They asked if I would tow them up. I had a F250 diesel truck at the time, no problem. First, they asked if they should unhitch the trailer. I told them that was a "bad idea". So, I let them hook up their truck and pull them and their boat/trailer up the ramp. Back tires were locked up solid. Seems they never released the parking brake and that was their problem the whole time.

I did enjoy pulling a boat/trailer and a truck with parking brake set up a ramp with just a little more than idle.

mmandley
06-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Pretty funny,

On another note, definitely check your FAE for the first couple outings, to make sure it is staying tight.

kaneboats
06-27-2013, 09:35 AM
We have six new ramps (new meaning only about 3 yrs old) at our park. There is a one lane access road for "boat & trailer only" traffic to access the ramp. (You would not believe how many idiots drive their cars through there anyway and stop across the top of the ramps to look at the water, load and unload people, coolers, etc. but I digresss) At the top of each ramp is what looks like a long parking space. So you can swing into it, unstrap and then launch. Beyond the ramps is a sort of strap down area. So you are supposed to swing into the space above the ramp, back down, load your boat, pull out and turn right to go over to the strap down area. Well, last week on a busy Sat. a guy pulled out and instead of turning right, he pulled in to the space above the ramp and started unloading garbage, wiping things off, etc. Meanwhile a bunch of us were in line to load up our boats.

So I said to him, "Hey $hit for brains!" and I punched him in the throat. Just kidding. I told him he was supposed to pull over to the other area and not block access to the ramp for others waiting to pull out. The guy took a look and apologized and said he was from out of town and had never been there before. About 10 min. later I had pulled all the way around to the parking lot where I do my wipe down and strap down. He walked over and said he wanted to apologize again. I was in shock. That's not the typical response you get at the ramp.

ian ashton
06-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Did someone say redneck? My dad sent me this the thee day from his lake;

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/27/jadyjuvy.jpg

tarheelskier
06-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Ian, hard to see on the phone, is that a U-haul trailer with a jet ski inside??? That is a classic!!

wolfeman131
06-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Ian, hard to see on the phone, is that a U-haul trailer with a jet ski inside??? That is a classic!!

it certainly looks like it is and there is a dude in the trailer with it. Wow.

Salyers
06-27-2013, 03:07 PM
I challenge someone to beat that pic! awesome!!!

jpetty3023
06-27-2013, 03:30 PM
seen some craiziness myself. best one in a while was one certain holiday there was a BU filled with a bunch of young punks and about 6 boats waiting in water to load up their boats. A lady with her small child was tied up to the dock while her husband was getting his truck/trailer. the young punks in the BU passed the 6 of us in line, bumped the ladies boat at the dock, as one of the kids jumped onto her boat and onto the dock. Then while we are still waiting her comes the truck and malibu trailer down the ramp, cutting off 2 other boats and backs in the ramp so the bu can load. long story short, the kids were hanging out drinking beer in the parking lot at the top of the launch site and when the police arrived, (saving the punks from an arse whooping from the husband of the lady whose boat got boarded) they conducted FST's on the boat occupants and made two arrests and towed the truck/BU

wolfeman131
06-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Alright, I'm coming clean. I was nearly one of these idiots and almost had my own story to tell.

Our first boat was a 1988 Chaparral 187XL. Great little boat that I paid a whopping $3,500 for. The guy who I bought it from had totally redone the boat and the mechanics that I took it to always said how great it looked. Sure, she had some bumps and bruises, but the girls named that boat Marygold and we look at pics of her with fond memories.

So, as the wife and I get ready to pull the old gal out for the first winter, we're nervous. Neither of us had been around boats much, didn't really know what we were doing with backing the trailer, etc. Heck, we had let the trailer roll into the back of her SUV earlier that summer b/c we forgot to block the wheels. :)

The big moment arrives and we stay at the lake late on Sunday so nobody is around to see our foolishness. She drives her SUV w/ trailer to the ramp, while I motor over in Marygold on a beautiful fall day in Central GA. The water is glass, the leaves have turned wonderful colors of red, yellow and auburn. It's majestic out. I tie the boat to the courtesy dock and hop in the SUV and a short 43 minutes later, I believe that I have the trailer properly positioned in the water.

A quick jump back into Marygold, she fires right up and I deftly, almost expertly, navigate her on to the trailer. Using my cat-like moves, I crawl from the bow of the boat to the trailer, hook and winch her up tight and scale along the side of the SUV to triumphantly retrieve my prize from the water and get her preserved for the winter. As I begin to extract boat and trailer from the water, the SUV tires seem to lose their steely grip on the ramp. I panic - slightly - and punch the accelerator. SUV, trailer and boat explode from the water. My wife, my daughters and I leap from the SUV and begin to give high 5's as a huge cheer shatters the silence in recognition of our victory.

A second glance and I notice the oddity. The trailer isn't sitting quite right. No, it's the boat that isn't sitting quite right. What is it, I ponder. Then, I recognize what the issue is. The boat is no longer resting its bow on the front roller and the winch strap is stretched some 4 ft from the bow hook to the crank! The winch lock didn't engage when I cranked her up and Marygold is now teetering on the end of the trailer bunks and visions of the strap snapping and Marygold plunging to the concrete below explode in my head. How will I ever lift my precious back onto the trailer if this is her fate?!?!?

I allowed the panic to consume me for just moments, but it seemed like hours. I then devise a plan to rescue Marygold. I throw my wife and kids into the bow of the boat and begin to crank on that winch with every fiber of my body. It's a painful process and the exertion causes beads of sweat and blood vessels to pop on my forehead. My plan is working and then it's not. I have not the strength to get Marygold where she needs to be and resting safe.

Another dunk in the lake is what will cure this, I decide. Again, after a short few dozen minutes, I have Marygold back into the water. She floats right up to where she needs to be with some easy cranks, I ensure that the crank lock is set this time and then we celebrated again, with a little less vigor, on the ramp again.

Wonderful family memories are priceless!

moombadaze
06-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Awesome last two storys

Salyers
06-27-2013, 05:04 PM
I think there are only 3 reasons I don't have a story like that...at least not yet anyway!

1. Devine intervention!

2. My father and grandfather, who have a ton of boating experience between them, came out with us the first half dozen times. Nothing like learning from wisdom rather than experiences.

3. The knowledge learned from this site. I really appreciate that everyone shares their knowledge/experiences good and bad. It has helped from making serious errors many times.

My biggest worry is complacency or arrogance my part.

bergermaister
06-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Love the stories. Well told Drew!

A few summers ago we pulled in to a busy dock right at dusk, they dropped me so I could walk up to retrieve the truck and trailer. On my way up the top of the ramp I am about to pass by a really nice new black Chaparral sitting on the trailer behind a really nice new black Escalade all blinged out that just came out. As I get closer I notice the sound of the engine running as the wife is sitting inside the boat apparently waiting for instructions from her husband. Based on the look of every thing they had appearing brand new with tags still hanging off it I figured they were newbs and maybe a little nervous. So I very politely waved to to the woman and told her she should turn off the engine right away. She smiled and did. Said "oh thank you." So clearly - newbie.

When passing the Escalade I mentioned to the guy that he had a nice setup, and a word of advice that you should kill the engine before pulling the boat out of the water, figuring they had no clue they could burn it up otherwise. (I highly doubt it was a closed cooling system)

Sort of expecting a similar friendly response from him, instead he throws down his sunglasses and hat, slams the door so hard I swear I jumped back, and then he belts out "GOD......AMITT! I told her to shut it off! MOTHER BLEEPIN BLEEPIN..." and goes stomping back to the boat and starts yelling at her.

I almost went back to defend her but thought better of it. Couldn't tell if he was drunk or not and didn't take the time to find out.

Still curious how long they had been sitting there out of the water with the engine running.

rdlangston13
06-27-2013, 09:09 PM
This weekend someone parked their truck and trailer diagonally across the area just in front of the ramp that you use to pull up so you can back down.

And I say parked as in engine off, doors locked, no one around. Made backing the boat down a little trickier than usual.

Sent from my iPhone

rca
06-27-2013, 11:33 PM
I was at canyon lake, don't blame me, lol.

kaneboats
06-28-2013, 09:19 AM
This weekend someone parked their truck and trailer diagonally across the area just in front of the ramp that you use to pull up so you can back down.

And I say parked as in engine off, doors locked, no one around. Made backing the boat down a little trickier than usual.

That's when you wish you had a big ole diesel and a piece of heavy chain.

brad460
06-28-2013, 10:21 AM
I literally no longer enjoy boating because I cannot stand the idiots at the boat landing...every time we launch there is an idiot at the landing which ruins my whole f-ing day..I know I need to chill out...before I even get to the landing I am irritated. Seriously I am contemplating selling our boat, I just can't take the stress anymore.

I need help..

zabooda
06-28-2013, 11:12 AM
I literally no longer enjoy boating because I cannot stand the idiots at the boat landing...every time we launch there is an idiot at the landing which ruins my whole f-ing day..I know I need to chill out...before I even get to the landing I am irritated. Seriously I am contemplating selling our boat, I just can't take the stress anymore.

I need help..

I get to the launch before the idiots do. I know they have to have their lunch at noon and their dinner at 6PM so I usually get out on the water at 11:30 AM and come back around 7PM. Pretty quiet and uneventful. I also try to go to the crappiest launch as it is too complicated for idiots to launch from. Without a dock, they are clueless.

moombadaze
06-28-2013, 12:55 PM
, I just can't take the stress anymore.

I need help..

we hit our lake early for this very reason. we try to be on the water by 9am and try to leave by 12., right about then is when the caravan of pwc's in tow show up. and this is on a semi private lake too.

rdlangston13
06-28-2013, 01:36 PM
this just makes me glad that we boat 2 hours from the house. most of the local idiots hit up lake houston or lake conroe, only the people who know what they are doing take the time to go to trinity

tarheelskier
06-28-2013, 02:05 PM
I pass the free launch to go to the one that costs $6. The free one has all kinds of crazy and long waits every weekend. You would be amazed at how much 6 bucks keeps the idiots away! 😀

zabooda
06-28-2013, 03:13 PM
I pass the free launch to go to the one that costs $6. The free one has all kinds of crazy and long waits every weekend. You would be amazed at how much 6 bucks keeps the idiots away! ��

Like the gas stations that can save a few pennies to the gallon.

z28ke
06-28-2013, 03:35 PM
I pass the free launch to go to the one that costs $6. The free one has all kinds of crazy and long waits every weekend. You would be amazed at how much 6 bucks keeps the idiots away! 😀

Same here. Get the season pass every year and launch at hwy 50. A 30 minute wait is not uncommon at the upper Barton creek free ramp. It takes us another 10 minutes to get there but I hate waiting. Do you launch at hwy 50 or rolling view in Durham?

tarheelskier
06-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Hwy 50.........too short

NCSUmoomba
06-29-2013, 09:20 PM
It sounds like you guys are going to Barton's at the wrong times. I hardly ever wait more than 5 minutes, but I try to stay away from the hours of say noonish and 5ish. I was also wondering why I never see any other Moombas. I guess if you guys put in up there, you stay north of 98. I usually stay south of 98.

I used to put in at Hwy 50 ramp when I first got my boat and I was a newbie. We don't use it anymore since we often stay out until dark and I think that ramp closes around sunset, Barton's is 24 hour.

iwaterskihard
06-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Boat launches create waaaay to much humor! I used to get just livid with anger at the IDIOTS! Even my wife gets angry! However now I have learned to just laugh! I have often offered to help people as well.

As someone stated earlier - I can just take a coller full of beer, my lawn chair, and tube of sunscreen to the boat launch for a day of comedy!!!!!

z28ke
06-30-2013, 06:46 PM
I went to Barton's creek today because a buddy and his wife launched there and it's a long boat ride to meet up from hwy 50. Was either of you in the red and white möbius LS?

brad460
06-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Boat launches create waaaay to much humor! I used to get just livid with anger at the IDIOTS! Even my wife gets angry! However now I have learned to just laugh! I have often offered to help people as well.

As someone stated earlier - I can just take a coller full of beer, my lawn chair, and tube of sunscreen to the boat launch for a day of comedy!!!!!

I pray someday I can have your attitude!

Seriously though, I have backed in other people's boats, help load other's boats, moved boats around the pier...literally anything to help things move quicker at the landing.

Today we launched at 1030...no problem..might just be what we need to do for now on.

NCSUmoomba
07-01-2013, 11:20 AM
I went to Barton's creek today because a buddy and his wife launched there and it's a long boat ride to meet up from hwy 50. Was either of you in the red and white möbius LS?

I was in my red and white Outback, but I think I saw the red and white Mobius you are talking about, although the one I saw was an LSV. If it is the same one, I think they just bought that boat from White Lake Marine, it is a 2008. Was that you in the red and black Outback V? If so, you were putting in as we were coming out, about 1pm? We had been there since 8am slaloming, so we were beat and starving.

tarheelskier
07-01-2013, 12:11 PM
We went out Saturday morning, but didn't make it Sunday. We have a yellow and Navy OBV (see the avatar) and also saw the Red LSV on Saturday. Also saw a Yellow and black XLV that I have not seen before. We put in at Hwy 50 and skied that long stretch before the New Light bridge for a couple of hours, then cruised toward the dam and hung out in that last big cove on the left before the dam. That's where we saw the XLV, if that is anyone on here. Don't think I have run into you Brian, but will be on the lookout.

Z28ke, I think I have passed you before, so will have to stop next time we cross paths. Will be a little while before we get back out to Falls, headed to Gaston for 3 weeks on July 13th, so stoked about that!

z28ke
07-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Yep that was me in the red/black OBV. Sorry I didn't say hey, I was somewhat oblivious to any other boats since my wife decided not to come out and my friends were meeting me at the ramp, I was trying to get the boat in the water by myself.

Tarheel: we usually surf between hwy 50 and new light, I'm sure we'll see you out there. Enjoy Gaston!