PDA

View Full Version : Rad-A-Cage Tower and Towing

KEH
06-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Howdy

2009 LSV with the Rad-A-Cage tower that folds rearward.
Folded the tower for the first time today.
Wondering if it is ok to trailer the boat with the tower folded at highway speeds?
I can't find anything in my manual that states for or against?
I can see that I would need to protect a few spots with foam and secure the short brace portions.
I usually wrap the tower/board racks and have the speaker socks, but it is still a pain in the ass to clean up after a long road trip.
Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Cheers

tnbrooks01
06-24-2013, 08:17 PM
I would think that it would bounce too much and would cause much more probs than just cleaning the tower after road trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

E4NASH
06-24-2013, 09:10 PM
I was told by the dealer we bought our first boat from to NEVER tow it with the tower down.

brain_rinse
06-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Many get delivered folded down, resting on a brace, so it can be done.

mcdye
06-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Many get delivered folded down, resting on a brace, so it can be done.

I think it can be done with a tower support brace AND someway to keep the tower from bouncing up and down. New boats are shipped with the tower down on a brace BUT the shipping cover is tight and keeps it from bouncing.

brain_rinse
06-25-2013, 08:30 AM
I think it can be done with a tower support brace AND someway to keep the tower from bouncing up and down. New boats are shipped with the tower down on a brace BUT the shipping cover is tight and keeps it from bouncing.

Good point

kaneboats
06-25-2013, 09:27 AM
There's nothing in the boat you can fasten it to in order to tie it down. You'd have to wrap across the tower and around the trailer or parts of it. But, I think if you could keep the whole thing properly tied down it would be OK. I might look into this. My 40 min. tow is right through a swamp that is full of bugs on the way home. Makes a mess to clean off the tower every time. Might start lowering it and looking at where to tie down. If I figure out a good method I'll post it.

moombadaze
06-25-2013, 04:48 PM
supported and tied down and cross tied to keep centered and should be no reason not to.

bergermaister
06-26-2013, 01:53 PM
My 40 min. tow is right through a swamp that is full of bugs on the way home. Makes a mess to clean off the tower every time. Might start lowering it and looking at where to tie down. If I figure out a good method I'll post it.

I seem to recall a tip posted about wiping the tower with pledge or something like that prior to a road trip and the bugs and splatters come right off easily?

maxpower220
06-26-2013, 02:12 PM
I seem to recall a tip posted about wiping the tower with pledge or something like that prior to a road trip and the bugs and splatters come right off easily?

Pam works good for that.

kaneboats
06-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Tried it. Much easier to spray Pam on your front bumper than it is on all the parts of the tower without getting it all over everything.