PDA

View Full Version : Loud exhaust on LSV

DaveM
06-18-2013, 11:02 PM
This 2013 LSV is my first V Drive boat. I've owned 8 I/O's, so I am not new to boating, only new to this drive system. Am I the only owner who thinks these boats are much loader than an I/O? The exhaust sounds at mid range rpm's are louder than I expected. Any solutions such as switching to quiter muffler?

DOCDRS
06-18-2013, 11:21 PM
FAE? Maybe your only option

cornrickey
06-19-2013, 12:45 AM
FAE. Three birds with one stone. Stereo upgrade, no stationwagon effect, quieter, almost eliminated exhaust sound. My brother owns a io Bayliner and he said my Supra is quiter than his from the beach.

bergermaister
06-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but the big diff here is that IO exhaust is coming out under the water through the prop, unless a guy is running the capt's call out the sides.

The V-drive exhaust is underwater at idle, but once you're moving it's basically open air and yes, will definitely be louder.

The FAE or fresh air exhaust mentioned would definitely be a winner and good investment. It will put your exhaust output down to a comparable level to the IO, plus the other gains mentioned.

This is what you're looking for (photo courtesy of Mandley)
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/DSC_0108.jpg

mmandley
06-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks for posting that pic Berg LOL.

If you want to look into an FAE let me know, ill get you in contact with the right people and maybe even be able to get you a little discount. We did a group buy a few months back and maybe i can get you the discount we had then.

DaveM
06-19-2013, 05:04 PM
I was not familiar or aware of a FAE. Looks simple, yet directs the exhaust lower into the water as an I/O does. What is estimated cost of this, and any warranty issues with my new boat? Where do you purchase a FAE, my boat dealer or from the web. Neat idea.

moombahighrider
06-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Thanks for posting that pic Berg LOL.

If you want to look into an FAE let me know, ill get you in contact with the right people and maybe even be able to get you a little discount. We did a group buy a few months back and maybe i can get you the discount we had then.

Mike has the inside word with the company so he will have better info than I but here's their website-
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

I am not 100% but I think you are looking at about $500 or so, depending on your specific choices. You can price it out on the website.

xBabyJesus
06-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Maybe do another group buy? I need/want an FAE, I was going to get in on the last group buy.

mmandley
06-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Maybe do another group buy? I need/want an FAE, I was going to get in on the last group buy.

IF we want another one i can try and arrange it, I would need 4 people to want in and then i can set something up.

Let me know.
Other wise i can contact FAE and try to get you the group buy discount we did on the last one.

xBabyJesus
06-21-2013, 01:33 PM
That would be awesome to get the group discount.

pctkst
06-21-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm in for a group buy. Let me know.

motosno963
06-21-2013, 06:12 PM
i have to get a new motor set up for my race sled but if i have money left over i might jump in on it

smileycvc
06-23-2013, 05:45 PM
A FAE is $500?? Seriously? I'm going to start doing some research and see if I can put one of these together.

DaveM
06-23-2013, 08:04 PM
I am good for ordering one FAE. Let's see if we get 4 of us to buy, and receive the group price.

rdlangston13
06-23-2013, 11:41 PM
I believe the new engines with the CATS do not have mufflers any longer, after the CAT it just comes straight out the back. Solutions for a loud exhaust is an upgraded stereo...

NateHaskovec
06-23-2013, 11:55 PM
I believe the new engines with the CATS do not have mufflers any longer, after the CAT it just comes straight out the back. Solutions for a loud exhaust is an upgraded stereo...

Ha, says the guy with a ton of Exile Audio.

I know a guy who made his own 2 into 1 below-the-water exhaust (he is a professional fabricator) and you can hear his cabin speakers on the line at 70'.

The quiet exhaust is pretty cheap compared to the Exile stereo gear. Don't get me wrong, I am sure your system rocks.

parrothd
06-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Loud stereos annoy everyone at the lake.. :o better to make the boat quieter with a Fae.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mmandley
07-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Talked with FAE today,

Please get your orders placed, 15th is the closing date for the discount.

TL7
07-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Crap I just ordered today. I don't think he applied a discount. Looks like i was about two weeks too late.

rdlangston13
07-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Crap I just ordered today. I don't think he applied a discount. Looks like i was about two weeks too late.

Taft, you coming to the Jam for the day Saturday??

TL7
07-29-2013, 10:02 PM
50/50. My sister is coming in from out of town, and it all depends on what's on the itinerary. But as of now the plan is to be there at least for a while.

mmandley
07-30-2013, 10:03 PM
50/50. My sister is coming in from out of town, and it all depends on what's on the itinerary. But as of now the plan is to be there at least for a while.

Got your message ill contact FAE tomorrow, see if they can apply the discount buddy. No promises but ill try

TL7
07-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks Mike, but don't worry about it. I spoke to Larry for a bit yesterday, he seems like a down to earth guy. I'll be picking the FAE up last weekend of August as we will be in Austin anyway.

rca
07-31-2013, 12:10 AM
Hey Taft I put my FAE on the boat last week. Check it out if you'd like, it's at the storage facility. I got the side mount option. We really like it.

Salyers
07-31-2013, 08:39 AM
Is anyone having any problems with the FAE staying attached to the Boats exhaust port? I have mine installed per instructions and it keeps coming loose. It stays on until we full the ballast, then it usually comes loose from one side after 1 or 2 runs.
I am considering using the 3m marine sealant but I'd like to be able to take the FAE off if I ever needed to.

parrothd
07-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Is the swim platform moving up and down? You should call them for support, mine came out once but you really have to crank down on the clamps and I lifted the platform up while tightening so when it comes down it pushes everything against the boat..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

KEH
07-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Mine was coming off as well. Drilled two holes per exhaust (under where the hose clamps attach), used stainless steel screws, and then re-attached the hose clamps over the screws. Has not moved since.

rca
07-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Installed to them a couple of weeks ago and they suggested adding the screws in the exhaust where it comes out of the boat. Just some cap head screws that the hose can slip over but gives some raised area for the clamp to hold against. I put 4 in each exhaust port. Seems to be holding great. We've had it out twice with no issues, holding well.

I'll see if I can find the instructions they sent.

kaneboats
07-31-2013, 03:03 PM
What's your evaluation. Does it help a little? Like night and day? May exhaust noise totally silent? What do you think?

Salyers
07-31-2013, 04:04 PM
When its stayed on I can easily hear the driver talking to me in a slightly louder than normal coversation and vise versa. It is a big difference when its off. Stereo sounds better also! Also I notice the exhaust smell more when the FAE is not attached. Once I get it to stay on it'll be worth the trouble.

rca
07-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Big difference for us as well. Much quieter. I heard the water my wife was moving around when she was surfing. Couldn't figure out what that sound was for a while, lol.

mmandley
07-31-2013, 09:22 PM
When its stayed on I can easily hear the driver talking to me in a slightly louder than normal coversation and vise versa. It is a big difference when its off. Stereo sounds better also! Also I notice the exhaust smell more when the FAE is not attached. Once I get it to stay on it'll be worth the trouble.

As some other have said,

When i had the FAE on the LSV i had it come off a couple times as well.
I ended up taking screws and screwed through the ruber tube for the FAE into the Plastic exhaust port flange. Then i added the hose clamps to basically make sure the screws wouldnt come out.

After that i had no issues.

rca
08-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Here's the updated instructions FAE sent me detailing this:

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/nsdhusband/2013-07-31_234651_zpsb8bdecda.jpg

TL7
08-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Saved. Thanks Ron. I won't actually get mine until we head up for the season opener, but if need be I may be snooping around yours to get a visual reference. :)

Salyers
08-01-2013, 08:28 AM
So you guys didn't put the metal rings into the exhaust port? If so how did you do the screws? Did you drill through the ring also?

kaneboats
08-01-2013, 10:30 AM
It looks like if you want it to stay on you have to kind of "permanently" install it. So you are not going to be taking your platform off to store the boat in the garage.

Salyers
08-01-2013, 10:39 AM
I have the quick release option, so even if I mount it "permanently" the platform can still be removed and the FAE left attached to the boat.

parrothd: My platform does rock a small amount so I'll try your suggestion also.

kaneboats
08-01-2013, 10:43 AM
What does that do to your clearance? My wakeplate is about 1/2" from the wall when it's in the garage with the tongue folded and platform removed.

Salyers
08-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Our house which brakes ground sometime in the next 2 weeks will have a 3rd car port that is 27ft deep and the place I'll be storing in this winter till house is done is deeper than that.

You could also take the clamps off that tighten the double boots/neoprene sleeves to the actuall FAE and just leave the large boot/sleeve on the boat while u store it for the winter.

mmandley
08-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Our house which brakes ground sometime in the next 2 weeks will have a 3rd car port that is 27ft deep and the place I'll be storing in this winter till house is done is deeper than that.

You could also take the clamps off that tighten the double boots/neoprene sleeves to the actual FAE and just leave the large boot/sleeve on the boat while u store it for the winter.

I was about to say that, the FAE has a 4inch long boot that attached to the boat, then you have another rubber sleeve that attaches to the Metal tube on the FAE and the sleeve attached to the boat exhaust. All you would do is loosen those hose clamps and pull the FAE right off, leaving the 2 sleeves attached to the boat.

This in tern would allow you to park the boat in the garage with a tight clearance as it would not extend over past your wake plate. With the quick release system installed it would only require loosening the hose clamps in addition to the pins to remove the FAE.

kaneboats
08-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Wonder how constantly loosening and re-tightening the hose clamps would work out. Probably have to replace the clamps at least every season.

moombadaze
08-01-2013, 02:24 PM
starting to like the idea of being able to talk with my driver when surfing

how much is it again ? base model

rca
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM
I drilled the holes and put the screws through the metal ring you insert into the exhaust port.

I store my boat at a big storage place and have never removed the platform.

Salyers
08-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the info RCA.

I know what I'll be doing Friday evening!

mmandley
08-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Kane, replacing the clamps each season is a good idea if your removing them a lot.

Daze, i want to say its 450 for the base kit, if your serious i can contact them and try to push a discount through. They also have a FB page now, its on mine if you want the link.

I really love the FAE for what it does other then the exhaust part. I love being able to talk to my surfer without yelling, I also love to hear all the water that you never hear, and even at idle it still has a nice rumble just not as loud.

From the 08 sound to the 13 with Cats, is about the same factor you get from adding the Cats if you compare the sound difference.

The 08 was loud, the 13 is much quieter due to the Cats, but add FAE and shes real quite.

moombadaze
08-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Daze, i want to say its 450 for the base kit, if your serious i can contact them and try to push a discount through. .

Thanks, but im not in a position at this time, hopefully later this year or early next year.

cornrickey
08-02-2013, 02:51 AM
not having the exhaust smell when surfing it the best. looking down in the surf wave and see the white exhaust contrail under water is pretty cool too.