PDA

View Full Version : To Teak or Not-To-Teak

KarMobLSV06
01-23-2006, 08:40 PM
I've only been around ski boats that have Teak Swim Platforms. How do the Fiberglass Platforms age? Any opinions on which is better?

We have 3 kids and a dog that goes with us on boat. Will it scratch up the rubber mat and fiberglas on the standard platform? I've seen some issues with the Fbrgls on this site and have always liked the Teaks durability. I could get my '83 Ski Supreme's Teak Platform to shine with the Starbrite Teak Cleaner and Oil Kit.

Thanks!!

smokedog2
01-23-2006, 10:46 PM
two kids with many friends, two dogs, no problems. I've seen gatorgrip posted. If mine ever gets too rough I'm going to that.

SD2

KarMobLSV06
01-24-2006, 12:13 AM
SD2 Thanks!!

So you have not had issues with the black of the mat coming off on feet etc.? I was hoping the was a rare problem with prior year's models.

Upside to Fiberglass I thought would be less maintenance-no Star Brite Teak Restoration Kit, and time needed.

But we were pretty hard on our last platform-our crazy Viszla tries to get up by herself onto the platform-she gets her front paws up and lays there half in the water with her snout and paws on the platform. All she needs is a beer and she'd look like me.

smokedog2
01-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Never a smudge – and my German Shorthaired Pointer drinks beer with the best of them.

I use Aero 303 on everything, I’m not sure if that made any difference.

SD2

qb12
01-24-2006, 09:33 AM
On my 02 Outback the black from the rubber on the platform got all over the vinyl in the boat. I replaced it with Traxx from airjunky.com and loved it.

Skier's Choice is using a much better padding that no longer does that from what I am told.

The thing I like about the fiberglass platform is there is no maintance.

I find it funny how SC charges more for a teak platform and MC charges extra for a fiberglass. (go figure)

doug, t-town

jburnside
01-24-2006, 12:31 PM
We have a 2005 Mobius LSV and the black does come off on wet feet. It's not as bad as it was with our '03 Outback LS but it still happens. Also, our Lab does leave scratches on the black mat when we help him out of the water. However, they don't look any worse than a wakeboard or ski fin that has been slid across the platform IMO.

With all that said, I would not trade my fiberglass platform for a teak platform. I like the looks of the fiberglass platform better and there is significantly less maintenance.

01-24-2006, 05:05 PM
I got the teak, and I agree with friends that it looks better. Maintenance is quick and easy -- actually kind of relaxing.

Ian

BensonWdby
01-24-2006, 07:30 PM
I had teak on my old boat for swim ladder and foot holds on top deck. Teak looks great when it is freshly varnished. After that I think it is just a lot of work to keep nice. Plus it is a rain forest product.

So I am in favor of fiberglass. The black oxidation off the rubber mat happens on our 1999 Mobius. I say oxidation because it seems to increase in direct proportion to the amount of time spend in the sun. We have started keeping the boat on a lift over the weekends this last year and the oxidation is more noticeable. We have white interior so if were really bad it would stand out.

Dave