PDA

View Full Version : Mojo vs A22 in rough water?

ajsboat
06-11-2013, 03:26 PM
I know the subject of Moomba vs Axis has been beat on the web, but haven't found to answer to a nagging question... I use my boat in rough water frequently, my current XLV doesn't really handle the chop as well as a 23' boat should. I am in the market for a new boat and between the Mojo and A22, does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference in the way the boat rides or handles in rough water??

Thanks for you help!
AJ

wolfeman131
06-11-2013, 03:41 PM
I don't think you'll find anyone on here that has been in both. From what I've seen, the Mojo is a much deeper boat but your best bet is to demo them both yourself as your opinion of "what's better" may be very different from someone else and why would you risk that on a $50K+ purchase?

yz 2smoke
06-11-2013, 03:58 PM
I can’t help with the comparison but I can tell you that you will get soaked on the A22 in rough water.

My wife and I test drove the A22 and the LSV on the same day at Lanier. The water was very rough that day. On the LSV we got a little moist from the spray. The A22 we got soaked. The windshield doesn’t come back far enough to do any good. The other main thing that I didn’t like was that the boat would purpose and you couldn’t stop it other than slowing down. I would do like Drew suggested and take both out.

zabooda
06-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Check out the Axis from the Brostock pictures. Not sure the free board difference between the two but the Axis looks low. My 98 Mobius sits low but it does fine in rough water until I have to come off a plane

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?22433-Few-Pics-From-Brostock

wolfeman131
06-11-2013, 04:10 PM
the Axis looks low.

this is definitely NOT the case with the Mojo. You practically need a step stool to get from the swim deck back onto the sunpad and I have yet to take a roller over the bow even when running loaded for surfing.

ajsboat
06-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Thank you yz 2smoke for your useful opinions!

Boonejeepin
06-11-2013, 05:30 PM
You practically need a step stool to get from the swim deck back onto the sunpad

At 5'6" I would benefit from a step stool on the swim platform. The Mojo is deep!!!

mmandley
06-11-2013, 07:07 PM
At 5'6" I would benefit from a step stool on the swim platform. The Mojo is deep!!!

Id love to see them put a step like the LSV has on the back, i also kneel down on my knee to step off the sundeck LOL

I have been able to take water over the nose of the Mojo when i was experimenting and had 1500lbs in the nose and no rear weight, but other then that no rollers.

The Mojo does feel really solid when i hit rollers, just plows through them but i have never been on the water in an Axis.

NateHaskovec
06-11-2013, 10:13 PM
I know the subject of Moomba vs Axis has been beat on the web, but haven't found to answer to a nagging question... I use my boat in rough water frequently, my current XLV doesn't really handle the chop as well as a 23' boat should. I am in the market for a new boat and between the Mojo and A22, does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference in the way the boat rides or handles in rough water??

Thanks for you help!
AJ

Do you run the XLV with the ski locker ballast full? Mine would handle chop like an offshore fishing boat with the 1100 full.

ajsboat
06-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Do you run the XLV with the ski locker ballast full? Mine would handle chop like an offshore fishing boat with the 1100 full.

Thats worth a try. Never crossed my mind. Always empty when just driving for gas reasons.

jmvotto
06-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Never had an issue with my xlv in chop, the obv was tossed around in chop since the freeboard was lw

NateHaskovec
06-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Thats worth a try. Never crossed my mind. Always empty when just driving for gas reasons.

Burning a little extra gas is way cheaper than a new boat.

I would fill the 1100 as soo as it hit the water. Every time.

My gas consumption wasn't bad enough to complain about.

KG's Supra24
06-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Same here, my bow sac gets filled pretty much the minute I hit the water.

New Guy
06-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Yup my locker gets filled all the time.

evoimport6
06-13-2013, 07:07 PM
I had an xlv and have an a22 now. I dont get a whole lot of chop. But in my opinion any wakeboat is going to suck at chop. The xlv couldnt handle it like a 23 ft sea ray, and i seriously doubt the a22 will either. The only problem I had with my xlv was getting the starboard side surf wake to clean up. Other than that, It was an excellent boat and the only reason I sold it was to get a boat with removable carpeting( Mojo Was too expensive and I also wanted to try something new.) I also got behind the a22 and the wakeboarding wake is huge compared to my xlv.