PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 05 Mobius LSV

Wax
06-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Hi all, new to the forum. I own a 2000 Supra Launch (direct drive). I recently got the itch to go to a vdrive. I love my wake, and I have it dialed in to give a great wakeboarding and surf wake. Honestly, best dd wake I've ever seen.

I've been looking at 2004-2008 Supras (20SSV, 22SSV). I also am considering a 2005 Mobius LSV, which is why I'm here to ask questions.

Can anybody comment on the similarities and differences of these two boats? I want a little newer boat and a V drive, but I'm scared of losing the wakeboard and surf wake I love so much. I thought maybe the 05 LSV might be pretty comparable to my hull, but I'm not sure. Spec wise they look similar, mine being a few inches wider.

Whatever I get will be loaded with as much ballast as will fit in the boat!

Open to all comments and suggestions. Thanks!

wolfeman131
06-11-2013, 07:41 AM
the 05 LSV hull became the 06-08 Outback V, so you may want to also consider those boats/years. I can't help with the direct comparison, but did have an 08 Outback V (OBV) and my family really enjoyed that boat. Room for everyone, didn't have to run around a doghouse and did everything really well. There is a lot of info on here about how folks have set up this hull for wakeboarding & surfing.

Depending on your budget, you may want to also consider a 06+ LSV which will give you a bit bigger boat and therefore more potential for larger wakes.

sandm
06-11-2013, 09:46 AM
if you have a choice and supra is in the lineup, skip the 20ssv and go to the 22ssv. the larger the boat, the better the surfwave and the more running surface you will have to play around with the wakeboard wave. I don't board so can't speak for the wakeboard wave, but the shop that took my 20ssv said it had a decent wakeboard wake. the surfwave was never great, only good(20ft boat), was hard to dial in goofy and never really had a ton of length to it.. took 1100's in the back and sacks all over the floor/seats if you were running less than 5 people for a decent surfwave.

second drews comments on the newer lsv.

Wax
06-11-2013, 11:13 AM
I would like a 22ssv, I looked at a 04 and a 07. The 04 just wasn't a good enough deal for me. The 07 is a great deal, but it would require me buying a new hoist for sure because of how freaking heavy it is. I really don't want to do that, and even though it's a great deal it's still more than I wanted to spend on a boat.

I don't really NEED that big of a boat. I have a great surf wake behind my 2000 Launch and I like the size for what I do (I live on about a 100 acre lake, and I trailer it sometimes to other venues). On paper, the 05 Mobius LSV looks very similar, same length (20' 8") but a few inches skinnier (98" on mine compared to 95" on LSV).

What I was really hoping for somebody to say was "yes you will get almost the exact same wakeboard and surf wake from the 05 Mobius LSV, and actually a little better because it's V-drive and you can get more ballast in it and configure it better" lol. I'm sure it will be great, I'm just scared to change!

I just really like the v-drive interior configuration, and the 05 Mobius LSV I looked at is the exact color and options I want (when I bought my 2000 launch I almost bought a 05 Ouback with the exact same color scheme, but I thought my Supra was a better deal).

wolfeman131
06-11-2013, 11:59 AM
yes you will get almost the exact same wakeboard and surf wake from the 05 Mobius LSV, and actually a little better because it's V-drive and you can get more ballast in it and configure it better

disclaimer: I have no idea if the statement above is true or accurate in any way, manner or form

Wax
06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
yes you will get almost the exact same wakeboard and surf wake from the 05 Mobius LSV, and actually a little better because it's V-drive and you can get more ballast in it and configure it better

disclaimer: I have no idea if the statement above is true or accurate in any way, manner or form

LOL wow you read my mind, like verbatim!

Wax
06-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Well, you had a 08 Outback V, isn't that the same hull as a 05 Mobius LSV?

Wax
06-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Well, you had a 08 Outback V, isn't that the same hull as a 05 Mobius LSV?

Well, I mean I guess you kind of already told me in your first post, ha.

I'm sure I can't go wrong. I mean it's all SC, and if I love a 2000 Supra I'm just going to assume it's safe to say I'll love a 05 Mobius LSV.

wolfeman131
06-11-2013, 12:40 PM
see post #2 above

saskyrider
06-11-2013, 12:45 PM
I own an 05 LSV and am very happy with it. Only thing i would do is watch for an 06 LSV with the new hull design... if you can get to one of those in your budget i would step up. Now for my 05 i run an 1100 lb bag in the rear locker filled to about 900 lbs, centre bag in floor full (500 lbs) and a 400 lb bag in the nose... bear in mind i usually run with a light crew (2-3 people)... if your running with more put them in the nose and eliminate the nose bag... that way when someone falls you can get them to come to the back and there is way less risk of taking a bow wave... not a big deal but it never feels good to have water over the bow. For wakeboarding i run 750 in non surf side locker and the 1100 filled to the 750 lbs (timer). 500 in the floor full and wakeplate down. once again i run a light crew usually. I love my 05 but the wife would like the newer hull design, so its handles better in rough water... all in all i got mine for a steal and couldn't be happier!

sandm
06-11-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm sure I can't go wrong. I mean it's all SC, and if I love a 2000 Supra I'm just going to assume it's safe to say I'll love a 05 Mobius LSV.

sounds to me like you're minds already made up and looking to pull the trigger. it'll be a great boat, but I'll still say if you can swing it, the larger hull of the 22 has more potential. after stepping up to a 22ft boat from the launch20 and having surfed a few 23/24ft boats, the longer/wider hull does make a difference. I also think there's a reason all the "core" wakeboard boats that are pulling comps are in the 22-23ft range(sure I know money plays a part in that, but lets face it, there's a reason 20ft boats are few and far between).

Wax
06-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I'm not getting a great deal on it by any means; I'm getting a reasonable deal on it. There just aren't many great deals out there right now, and they go real quick. But I sold my Supra today for a good price so it's not a whole lot more for me to switch to the LSV. By adding V-drive, perfect pass, completely plumbed ballast, 1/3 the hours, the color I like, fold down tower (mine you have to remove rear bolts, and I have to to get under my hoist), and a few other nice little options my boat doesn't have, I think it's probably worth it. If I were to keep my Supra I would probably do about $2500 in upgrades (including perfect pass), and I'm spending about $6000 more than what I'm selling my Supra for to get the LSV.

wolfeman131
06-11-2013, 03:47 PM
done deal then. BUY IT!

Just FYI - while the tower does fold on this boat by removing a few knob screws, it folds forward towards the bow. Some have found this challenging to do with only one person and the height of the boat actually increases as the tower arcs up before coming to rest on the bow. I would have had to lower the tower before it went on the lift to then get the boat out of the water. I never folded the tower unless the boat went in the garage.

E4NASH
06-11-2013, 03:56 PM
done deal then. BUY IT!

Just FYI - while the tower does fold on this boat by removing a few knob screws, it folds forward towards the bow. Some have found this challenging to do with only one person and the height of the boat actually increases as the tower arcs up before coming to rest on the bow. I would have had to lower the tower before it went on the lift to then get the boat out of the water. I never folded the tower unless the boat went in the garage.

Definitely challenging and NOT too much fun to do by yourself in my past experience with my '05 LS. It is doable because I did it most of the time by myself. It may not be as bad without tower speakers adding to the weight of the tower though. I had to put it down every time we put it back in the garage, which was at the end of the day every time we used it. You also will need to put a cushion or life jacket or something between the tower and the gel-coat so the tower can rest on it.

I definitely think it is an upgrade over what you have though. If you can't find the '06 LSV or '08 Outback in the price range you are looking for I say go for it.

Wax
06-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Well the deal fell through on the 05, actually due to an issue on my end not the seller's. I was pretty upset Tuesday night when I realized I wasn't going to be able to get it. But then I went surfing behind my Supra that night and felt a lot better.

However, very shortly after that on Weds morning, I made a deal with bigr82 on his 2006 Mobius LSV that popped up in the classifieds on here! It's basically just like the 05, same color I wanted and everything, but the 06 so I was stoked! I sold my boat yesterday, helped the guy set up his hoist and everything last night. Now it's just closing out the money transaction and picking up the boat! It's funny how everything is coming together; I guess this 06 was just meant to be!

Thanks for everybody's help and thanks to this forum's classified section! I think I'll be more satisfied with the 2006 anyway from what you guys are saying about the differences in 06 and 05! I'm sure I'll be on here more often now, switching from the Supra forum to the Moomba lol!

sandm
06-13-2013, 11:51 AM
congrats and post up pics. my old supra was orange. I really like that color in skiers palete.