PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass or not?

pickle311
06-10-2013, 03:44 PM
I have a dilemma that I need some help with.
Boat is a 2007 Mobius LSV. Love the boat, bought it new. I used to have an awesome boat captain, then I divorced her a couple of years ago. Now I can't get a good pull to save my life. I seriously haven't had someone pull me as well as her in the 2 years we have been divorced.
A good friend of mine has no issues driving and is on the boat with us 90% of the time. He's great to have around and a ton of help, not the best at pulling someone though and he won't use the factory Moomba Cruise. In fact, I can't get anyone to understand how to use it correctly.

I want to teach my new girlfriend how to drive, but she's a bit nervous to actually pull someone. It's at the point now where I'm getting frustrated because I can't enjoy my time on the board. I won't even jump the wake anymore because I'm scared the driver will adjust the speed. I was trying to surf yesterday and just stopped because he was all over the place with the speed. He's making too big of adjustments. He was all over the place trying to get the wave to clean up for me and it was a mess. We swap places and I drive, perfect wave. I've got a new surf board that I haven't even been able to toss the rope on because of this.

So I'm at the point of getting a Perfect Pass to help this out. I think with this, it will be easier for people drive the boat and give me a consistent pull since the factory cruise seems to be difficult for the majority. It's a bit frustrating for me, because I always use the cruise and never had an issue understanding it. That's why I'm hesitant to drop $1200 on a perfect pass.

What are your thoughts?

bergermaister
06-10-2013, 03:54 PM
IMO it is worth it. Not only for other drivers of the boat but also for you as the primary driver. I can drive my boat better than anybody else sure, but I REALLY want someone else to be able to drive it too for the reasons you've already mentioned.

Perfect Pass may be a bit confusing at first but once you get the hang of it the first day it is pure satisfaction. Even if someone else doesn't want to learn the menus, you set the speed before you jump in and you're all good. Saved presets for Wake or Surf speed and away you go. The up and down arrows for adjustments couldn't be easier.

My, let's just call her my wife, loves it. Allows her to focus her attention on doing figure 8's and driving towards shallow water instead of wondering why the motor is screaming at 5,000rpms or where I disappeared to.

toksik
06-10-2013, 05:28 PM
I say that they are completely worth it. I like to call it "The Marriage Saver". My perfect pass system is super easy to use, but yours may be different; I have an 08 LSV. There is still an art to towing a surfer and wake-boarder with the wake plate and distributing people on the boat for a cleaner wake too. Invest in the time to teach your sidekick the art of towing, and you will be happier for it.

New Guy
06-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Absolutely worth it. I went from not getting a good pull every time out to only getting a bad pull once in a great while. I have taught countless drivers since then and it has made my (the guy making the payments) time much more enjoyable.

bhowell
06-10-2013, 10:39 PM
It's expensive but makes it simple. Throttle when I'm ready. Pull it off when I fall. Anyone can drive a boat with that and some common sense.

NCSUmoomba
06-11-2013, 12:17 PM
I will agree. Totally worth the money. And with the Stargazer there is no calibration needed. It took me two years to realize my Perfect Pass speed was off 3 or 4 mph.

toksik
06-11-2013, 04:37 PM
I will agree. Totally worth the money. And with the Stargazer there is no calibration needed. It took me two years to realize my Perfect Pass speed was off 3 or 4 mph.

What did you do to calibrate it? I'm curious because I found a potentiometer under my dash that the wires were broken off of. After I wired them back up, I realized that it was the control for my factory speed gauge. Before, it just pegged out at 50, and never moved, even when the boat was turned off. I have only had my boat a few months, and I am still working out the kinks that I was left with. So, when I set my perfect pass to a certain speed, I could turn the dial to have my factory speed gauge read the same.

EricU
06-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Boat is a 2007 Mobius LSV... I used to have an awesome boat captain, then I divorced her a couple of years ago...That's why I'm hesitant to drop $1200 on a perfect pass.

What are your thoughts?

PP should be stock on all boats...Seriously, get the Stargazer and don't look back. I put one on my '02 and ran it for one season (over 100 hrs) and my new (old) boat, a Tige (shhhh!! don't tell anyone on this forum) has their own system and it is throttle by wire and just doesn't integrate with the PP, I wish it did.

Get it and enjoy.

E4NASH
06-11-2013, 04:48 PM
I have the digital cruise pro in my new boat and had PP in the old one...wouldn't have a boat without it and I couldn't even imagine doing it with the basic Moomba cruise.

yz 2smoke
06-11-2013, 05:02 PM
I have the digital cruise pro as well and I love it. It is very easy to use.

Is the upgrade to the pro version cheaper than PP?

mmandley
06-11-2013, 07:50 PM
I think its worth it, even the upgrade from the Moomba Cruise to the new Moomba Digital is awesome because now i can just raise my hand to motion faster then hold 2 fingers up and my driver knows to speed up .2 mph

Something you can do in the mean time which i found a lot easier on the LSV was get to the speed you want to go. then look at your RPMs and then tell your driver go 3K rpm, doesn't matter how fast they pull you up surfing once they goto 3K the boat will hold it in a straight line and if they turn it will slow down but go back to normal when straight.

Also it works great with wake boarding but in the turns it will slow down.

This can help till you get the PP

jmb
06-11-2013, 08:35 PM
PP best thing I bought!!!

Mikey
06-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Had the basic Moomba Cruise. It was a waste of time. New version may be ok. PP was one of the best improvements i have made to the boat. Stargazer/ GPS version would be nice ,as you don't need to calibrate, but this is simple proceedure using a handheld GPS and at the same time i use it to set the speedo as well.

We mostly waterski so ,proper speeds are important ,but i do find it is a huge advantage to surfing as well. I say Go for it you will be happy and then you also get others to become decent drivers and you benefit from all of the above...

rdlangston13
06-11-2013, 11:26 PM
i think something must be wrong with my adjustment knob under the dash, as soon as i just touch my speedo goes crazy and pegs out at 50 mph. i can turn and turn it all day and it makes no difference

z28ke
06-14-2013, 01:45 PM
My, let's just call her my wife, loves it. Allows her to focus her attention on doing figure 8's and driving towards shallow water instead of wondering why the motor is screaming at 5,000rpms or where I disappeared to.

Hahaha!!!! My wife does the same but no PP so the speed is constantly fluctuating

SEARK
06-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Can't go wrong with the PP. I came on my boat and has been the one of the best things about it. My wife can pull me (during the week when no one else is on the lake, never on weekends) and the speed is constant. Always perfect.

Wax
06-17-2013, 02:36 PM
One of the main reasons I wanted a new boat was for perfect pass. If I was going to keep my 2000 Supra Launch DD, I was going to add it this year. I went 6 full seasons without it. Luckily, 5 of those were with my wife who is now a pretty good driver. Just got the new boat a couple days ago, and perfect pass has already been worth it's weight in gold. I have the wakeboard pro. Take away the addition of a v-drive, a 6 year newer boat, and everything else I got by upgrading, I would've done it just for the perfect pass!

It was funny, I went wakeboarding last Weds night before I sold my Launch on Thurs, and it was with a new friend on the lake that wasn't well versed driving this type of boat. I kid you not, I couldn't even try anything at all until almost the end of the lake because he was all over the place with speed. He was literally fluctuating between 17 and 30, because he kept trying to watch me ride instead of just driving the boat. So I was thinking right then how nice it was going to be once I had perfect pass, much more actual ride time instead of wasting strength and gas waiting for somebody to keep speed.

Surfing has been great with pp too, but it fluctuates a little depending on weight. I have it set around 10.5, but before i go I check the wake with the people in the boat and dial it in to the right speed where the wake just breaks.

I can tell you thought, as others have on here, if you don't get perfect pass just tell people to hold an rpm while you surf. I always did that while surfing on my Supra, and it worked way better than speed. I would tell them to go to 2200 rpm, and if I say up or down go up or down by 100 rpm.

rsinger
06-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Can't believe this thread made it two pages deep. Simple, two word, answer.

GET IT.

volfo
06-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Not to complicate things, but . . . what's the difference between PerfectPass and ZeroOff. My Moomba didn't have any speed control, not even the Moomba cruise and not the PerfectPass. I now have Zero Off. It is great, uses GPS to hold the speed to the .1 Is Perfect Pass by paddle wheel and that might be better in conditions with current, or is there some other difference? I'm just wondering if you are buying new which system might you want?

Boatdrinks797
06-17-2013, 07:47 PM
I couldn't be happier with the digital cruise pro. We used it for the first time this past weekend and it was simple to use. We were running in slight chop and kept it within +/- 0.3mph after we got out of turns and ran a straight course. Just make sure its turned 'ON' after your drop the hammer down or else the guy behind you better buckle up!

Wax
06-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Not to complicate things, but . . . what's the difference between PerfectPass and ZeroOff. My Moomba didn't have any speed control, not even the Moomba cruise and not the PerfectPass. I now have Zero Off. It is great, uses GPS to hold the speed to the .1 Is Perfect Pass by paddle wheel and that might be better in conditions with current, or is there some other difference? I'm just wondering if you are buying new which system might you want?

Perfect Pass is just a more well known name brand. Perfect Pass "Stargazer" is their GPS system, which is pretty much mainstream at this point and I believe they're phazing out the paddlewheel systems. Zero Off is only GPS I believe, I don't even think they make (or made?) a paddlewheel system. Hydrophase also makes "Ridesteady" which is a paddlewheel only system (and I think geared towards wakeboarding marketing), and it comes in at a value price of around $800 I believe. Any of them would be fine.

I have PP Wakeboard Pro as I stated, and I've used Stargazer plenty of times. Excellent systems no matter what you get. There's a website, ski-it-again.com, that you can sometimes find used systems on. Otherwise, pony up the $800-$1500, and no matter what you won't regret it.

NCSUmoomba
06-18-2013, 01:45 PM
toksik,

Sorry so long to reply. There is a procedure in the Owner's Manual about how to calibrate the speed in Perfect Pass. The manuals can be downloaded from their website if need be.

Salyers
06-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Get It!!!! You won't regret it.