PDA

View Full Version : 07 outback direct drive taking on water

worledl
06-09-2013, 04:32 PM
My direct drive is constantly taking on water when running. Not when sitting. Have to run bilge every time I stop. I pulled up the floor to expose the compartment behind engine and it has a big rubber clamp around shaft. Is that a "dripless seal"? Any ideas on likely suspects or information on how to change out shaft seals?

Jayrodau
06-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Can you post a pic of it please?

DOCDRS
06-09-2013, 05:09 PM
You most likely have a regular shaft seal, unless it was upgraded after purchase, which can be tightened to reduce the leaking. It shouldn't vary greatly even while running unless you have an alignment or bent shaft issue. Is this definitely the place the water is coming in? oops I'm bad , the 07 do have a dripless........check the supply water to see where its coming from and your alignment.....most likely the seal needs replacing. But I would check and adjust the alignment first.

Garn
06-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I have on 07 LS (direct drive) with the dripless. I too am taking on water. Can the dripless be tightened like a regular shaft seal? I don't see anywhere to tighten it.

Garn

Garn
06-12-2013, 11:15 AM
.most likely the seal needs replacing. But I would check and adjust the alignment first.

@DOCDRS which seal are you referring to? The dripless seal? If so, anyone know how to do that? Also, how do you check alignment?

Gabbyg88
06-12-2013, 12:47 PM
I would also check your hoses, I had a hose leak on mine.

DOCDRS
06-12-2013, 11:42 PM
you can get the seals from OJ props or skidim. you have to determine if its the housing or the seal leaking. the cooling water line should be from between the impeller and the thermostat housing. Generally the dripless will get worse as the engine gets hotter if its the housing, if the seal is gone then its should stay constant regardless of engine temp. I believe the cat engines will cause seal housing failure quicker if cooled with exhaust water as they run hotter in the exhaust manifold than the card or efi models. engine alignment can be found in the how to section. You only need to remove the shaft coupler to replace the dripless seal and or housing.....its difficulty is similar to engine alignment or vdrive impeller replacement