PDA

View Full Version : Ballast pump advice?

xBabyJesus
06-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for your experiences on replacing factory GIII ballast pumps for faster fill times. I'm running 1100s front and rear for surfing, and it takes freaking FOREVER to fill the rears and esp. to switch sides which we do multiple times a day. Also my sprinkler valves are sucky and cause airlock issues practically every time out. I've ripped out my manifold and valves, I can't take it anymore.

I've read MANY threads on hear and wakeworld, but there's no clear winner option. So, the options I'm considering are:

1. Keep the big RULE aerator fill pump and drain pump for the front bag. Replace the fill & drains for just the rear bags with
a. Tsunami 800, keep 3/4" hoses, add vented loops
b. Tsunami 1200, keep 3/4" hoses or upgrade to 1", add vented loops
2. Replace the big RULE fill and drain, also do everything else in #1
3. Keep the big RULE aerator fill pump and drain pump for the front bag. Install Johnson reversible for the rear bags
4. Install Johnson reversible for all 3 bags
5. Do #1, and install a Johnson reversible JUST as a transfer pump between the rear bags, effectively doubling the "swap sides" speed.

None of the options are really that cheap when you add up all the component costs, so the diff isn't worth worrying about.

Thoughts? Opinions?

wolfeman131
06-06-2013, 09:56 PM
#4 and add the XLink

or

Leave the goofy riders at the dock

moombahighrider
06-06-2013, 10:01 PM
#4 and add the XLink

or

Leave the goofy riders at the dock

While I agree with Wolfe, I did #1b with 1" lines on the 1200 pumps plumbed to 1100 rear bags last season and have been happy. I have the rule 2000 filling the center then the ibs. The next step is the x link for the transfer speed, but that will wait till next season (buying another house and need to be money-wise).

jmvotto
06-06-2013, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=wolfeman131;218116

Leave the goofy riders at the dock[/QUOTE]

My vote.......

moombacraze
06-06-2013, 10:25 PM
#4, has worked great for me.

jstenger
06-06-2013, 10:44 PM
I did #2. Got rid of the stock Rule pump, strainer, and valve. Added 3 new Tsunami 800 pumps with inline check valves. Cut off the stock scupper and added 2 more 3/4" thru hull intakes. Check out my Outback V GI to GIII upgade thread. I went this route because 2 Tsunami pumps (fill and drain) with fittings and a check valve was about $200 cheaper than a reversible pump. I think I saved about $600 going this route.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk 2

DDNorCal
06-06-2013, 10:51 PM
As a goofy rider, I vote #4 with 1" lines, add an IBS and connect it to your center sack. That's what I did and it has made a huge difference in the fun factor.

kaneboats
06-07-2013, 08:12 AM
The Rule pump is called a 2000 but it's really a 1200 GPH pump just like the Tsunami 1200. It works great for filling one bag-- very fast. I kept mine to fill the front bag and my underseat surf side bag. I modified the manifold. I put in a second 3/4" thru hull and put a different Rule pump on my surf bag with a check valve. Later, I also added a second fill line with a Tsunami 1200 and a check valve. Now I can fill to surf in under 5 min. Kepts costs way down. I leave goofy riders at the dock though.

New Guy
06-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Put it this way I am in the process of ripping out all my 1200 Tsunami's because of priming issues ect. I was sick of fighting with 6 pumps. I haven't had a chance to hit the water with the Johnson's but I can't wait.

kaneboats
06-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Well, to be sure, if you are going to spend some coin go reversibles with the X link.

NCSUmoomba
06-07-2013, 12:48 PM
I have not done a ballast system myself, but based on years of reading the forum, and having friends try it, I am going to put my vote in for #4 as well. And as folks said, if you switch sides a lot, get the X-Link system as well. I would also recommend ripping out everything and starting from scratch, as it sounds like you have already started. It seems like trying to save pieces and rework things and save money ends up causing more frustration than it is worth.

I guess I wish there were a faster impeller style pump for you guys using the giant bags. For the 1100# sacs, it is still an 11-12 minute fill time. Maybe its not that big a deal, it just sounds like a long time. Also, with the X-Link the time to swap sides should be reduced to about half as much time.

wolfeman131
06-07-2013, 12:58 PM
I guess I wish there were a faster impeller style pump for you guys using the giant bags. For the 1100# sacs, it is still an 11-12 minute fill time. Maybe its not that big a deal, it just sounds like a long time.

I think folks make a much bigger deal out of this than it is in reality. If you know you're going to switch out, when the current rider falls, you flip the switches. By the time you circle back and swap out riders, you're easily 1/2 way thru the cycle. By the time everybody gets situated in the boat/water you're 3/4 thru the cycle so you might be sitting around for 3 min. This time is cut down if you're running weight in the offside as you're maybe only dumping/filling 1/2 the bag.

saskie99
06-07-2013, 01:10 PM
I did number 4 last years, best investment I have made for my boat. I just "T" off the center sac into my bow sac and use 3 pumps to fill four bags, works perfect. The reversible pumps are awesome. i would recommend to anyone looking to up grade.

bergermaister
06-07-2013, 01:15 PM
What - plan ahead? Who does that...

I noticed a huge diff in drain time going from Rule 700's on 3/4" lines to T-1200's on 1" lines. That seemingly agonizing "is it done yet" wait disappeared. Filling same deal basically. I try to make goofy riders go last but that rarely ever works because me (regular) and daughter (goofy) are typically the first ones willing to hit the water.

I'm biased towards big fast aerators as long as they are plumbed in correctly to void priming issues. <jab>

kaneboats
06-07-2013, 01:32 PM
I think folks make a much bigger deal out of this than it is in reality. If you know you're going to switch out, when the current rider falls, you flip the switches. By the time you circle back and swap out riders, you're easily 1/2 way thru the cycle. By the time everybody gets situated in the boat/water you're 3/4 thru the cycle so you might be sitting around for 3 min. This time is cut down if you're running weight in the offside as you're maybe only dumping/filling 1/2 the bag.

Yes, as soon as the stopwatch gets to "0" on that rider's turn, sound the airhorn and start pumping across.

New Guy
06-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks berg lol. For some of us below water line space is very difficult to come by.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

xBabyJesus
06-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Still no consensus :)

I don't really have space issues in the big XLV, but it takes a DAMN long time to fill or swap with the 1100s, and I'm even considering adding a 450 to the rider side, and having to swap that with either a T-line or another pump.

I hesitate on the reversibles because they're not that fast, burn power / have to leave boat running. Either way I'll probably end up with an X-link so maybe I'll make my goofy rider pay for that first! :D

It would be nice to have some legitimate testing data of the various pumps fill speed. Most of the data I've seen is flawed in some way.

-J

jmvotto
06-08-2013, 06:58 AM
If fast is what you want, Put three new 1 inch mushroom thru the bottoms and three new tsunami 1200's for each bag, scrap the manifold and use vented loops. Put a x link between if needed. Swap all lines to one inch. Swap out drain pumps if faster draining is required. This seems like the fastest method for unrestricted fills.

Ps not the most efficient to drain bags flat, with the two pump per bag system.

muehlcj
06-08-2013, 07:10 AM
My vote.......

I would check that box as well.