PDA

View Full Version : 06 supreme with scorpion 5.7 won't start. Ideas?

newty
06-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Working on a the boat mentioned above and won't start.
Had the starter bench tested and its dead. Installed a new one and and still won't start.
I'm positive its not the neutral safety switch because when I turn the key over I hear a click in the back.
When the the throttle in ingaged the click from the back stops.
I know the starter is good because I can jump the starter to start the boat.
The click is coming from a relay located above the v-drive next to a reset button I'm assuming for a engine or ecm fault. Its not tripped.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone 5... ya right!

newty
06-06-2013, 03:57 PM
And no its not the safety lanyard. The relay in the back doesnt click when I unplug the lanyard.

motosno963
06-06-2013, 04:05 PM
dead relay?

newty
06-06-2013, 10:26 PM
dead relay?

Fixed it, it was the slave cylinder... you guys suck lol

kaneboats
06-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Hey, check the slave cylinder. Oh, crap. You found it. Oh well.

newty
06-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Hey, check the slave cylinder. Oh, crap. You found it. Oh well.

Yea thanks!

NCSUmoomba
06-07-2013, 01:00 PM
So just to be clear, the throttle lever was in neutral, but the slave cylinder on the transmission was keeping the boat from actually being in neutral, therefore the neutral safety switch wouldn't let the boat start?

newty
06-07-2013, 03:42 PM
So just to be clear, the throttle lever was in neutral, but the slave cylinder on the transmission was keeping the boat from actually being in neutral, therefore the neutral safety switch wouldn't let the boat start?

Not a "trans slave cylinder" its a solenoid/relay that when you turn the key it sends power to the slave cylinder and in turn sends power to the starter. Boat shop said its a commonly replaced part.
Mounted to the trans bell housing.

newty
06-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Unless your being a smart ass then yes... the clutch needed to be bled too!

newty
06-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Here's a better pic for anyone that may run into the same problem.

mmandley
06-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Not a "trans slave cylinder" its a solenoid/relay that when you turn the key it sends power to the slave cylinder and in turn sends power to the starter. Boat shop said its a commonly replaced part.
Mounted to the trans bell housing.

Dat interesting right thar..Back in the 90s, we called them thar Fords Starter solinoids and they were mounted on the fender, and when you wanted to bump the engine with out using the key you would short the contacts with a screwdriver.

Also it was a high fail part in the car and made easy money at the Dealership for no start no crank issues. I replaced a ton and broke a few myself LOL

maxpower220
06-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Yes, they are still called solenoids. Ford did like to put them on the fender, but Chevies have had them on the starter for a long time.

kaneboats
06-08-2013, 11:35 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've started a Ford with one of those with a tire iron. Once at O'Hare airport. Picked somebody up and went out to parking and dead solenoid. One time a buddy borrowed his brother's truck and called me from a campground. Got him going over the phone the same way. Still can't believe they kept the same system for about 20 years on those cars and trucks.

NCSUmoomba
06-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the photos. I will file that in my brain file, and one day when my boat won't start, I will make sure to check that.