PDA

View Full Version : DIY Surf Gate Moomba Thread

NateHaskovec
06-02-2013, 05:42 PM

After seeing all of the DIY Surf Gate attempts on other boats I figured there have to be folks trying this project on their Moombas.

The weather was crappy here this weekend so I figured I would have a go at it.

No, this is not a finished product by any means. It is a throw away test model that I will try in the next week or so.

I went with a 22.5 degree angle from the hull, and a 15 degree angle from top to bottom. I will let you all know how it works.

With the way I have it mounted (the redneck way) it doesn't touch anywhere on the boat, and is sturdy enough to shake the boat trailer when I push/pull on it.

Anyone else tried this yet?

ian ashton
06-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Interested to see how it works out!

I found it surprising that the side with the gate is the opposite of surf side.

NateHaskovec
06-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Yeah, it seems counterintuitive, but when you think about it, it makes sense.

The longer side of the boat's wake hits the center of the wake further back. This allows the short side to swell higher before the long side folds it over.

I have seen the Malibu rig in action and it really does pump out a good surf wake with minimal ballast.

wolfeman131
06-02-2013, 06:59 PM
I have seen the Malibu rig in action and it really does pump out a good surf wake with minimal ballast.

I spent 2 days behind a 23 LSV with surf gate and I'll debate that with ya all day long.

NateHaskovec
06-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I spent 2 days behind a 23 LSV with surf gate and I'll debate that with ya all day long.

Typed a long writeup, then the forum booted me off. lol.

I call a wake good if I can surf ropeless. I am new to surfing, so maybe it is no good for you.

I have surfed behind an LSV as well. It was good IMO..

I got to test my rig. It worked almost the same as the Malibu I rode behind.

Stock ballast full, wakeplate 80% up. Long pocket, not a ton of push.

The boat doesn't steer well to port at slow speeds. I should have realized this is why the Malibu system retracts at speeds less than 7mph...

I am trying to upload a wake pic, but the forum won't let me right now.

NateHaskovec
06-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Here's one. The forum is acting up for me.

Typed a long writeup, then the forum booted me off. lol.

I call a wake good if I can surf ropeless. I am new to surfing, so maybe it is no good for you.

I have surfed behind an LSV as well. It was good IMO..

I got to test my rig. It worked almost the same as the Malibu I rode behind.

Stock ballast full, wakeplate 80% up. Long pocket, not a ton of push.

The boat doesn't steer well to port at slow speeds. I should have realized this is why the Malibu system retracts at speeds less than 7mph...

I am trying to upload a wake pic, but the forum won't let me right now.

bergermaister
06-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Been a few discussions offline about giving this a go but you're the first on here that I know of. So what's next?

moombadaze
06-03-2013, 07:24 AM
interesting, now about some surf tabs

E4NASH
06-03-2013, 08:02 AM

Agreed, I've been told by several people who have ridden a Malibu equipped with surf gate that they like my wave much better. Is the surf gate faster?? Yep but it's no replacement for displacement...

jpetty3023
06-03-2013, 08:40 AM

With the way I have it mounted (the redneck way) it doesn't touch anywhere on the boat, and is sturdy enough to shake the boat trailer when I push/pull on it.

you sure right about going redneck!! I like

Sent from this thing called tapatalk 2

sandm
06-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Agreed, I've been told by several people who have ridden a Malibu equipped with surf gate that they like my wave much better. Is the surf gate faster?? Yep but it's no replacement for displacement...

x2.. heard that it's very quick to change sides but the wave is not that stellar.

Stazi
06-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Wouldn't regular trim tabs along with ballast work better and be easier to install?

saskie99
06-03-2013, 03:21 PM
I am super stoked that some one tried this and that it works! Nice JOB! Now I am to curious about the trim tabs and see the difference between the waves of a loaded (listing) boat and the loaded "surf gate" boat to see the difference!