PDA

View Full Version : wakeboard workout

Smrtz
01-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Im just curious if anyone has a training routine that they do during the winter and the months leading up to the season for geting in shape. Nothing worse than having to try and get in shape when its time to be on the water!

Any input would be appreciated.

stang67
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Swim 30 hours a week plus lifting and lots of ab work. Gets the job done.
Thats my normal routine, well life.

You could do a mon wed fri lift with abs. On each day lift a group of muscles, say monday work chest and back (bench, rows....) Wed do lift legs (squats, RDLs..) and on friday do arms (curls tricep ext..) do that for 4-6 weeks and change the order along with the exercises done.

On tues, thurs (and sat if desired) do cardio work (running, tredmill, bike, elliptical, swim...)

That and eating heathly with keep you in great shape to be out on the board in March. But the first time back behind the boat no matter how in shape you are, you will be sore, but worth it.

Hope that helped as a general idea.

Eric

Nafplio
01-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Have you tried snowboarding? There should be plenty of opportunities up north. I snowboard like mad trying to forget about not wakeboarding. I can even go switch now which gives me great hope for this summer. As far as conditioning goes, I probably break even after the lunch tailgate party :p.

Yellowmobius
01-19-2006, 09:41 AM
I run or do some sort of cardio 5 days a week plus a little lifting and ab work.
My problem is, much like Ed, the beer gets the best of me when I am not in the gym.

Smrtz
01-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi Guys, Thanks for the input. As for the smowboarding comment. that was actually my plan as I have been an avid skiier for years and was planning on getting into snowboarding to help keep in shape and help to maintain my sense of balance on the board. However, as Im sure any of you in North America know its been a crazy warm winter. For instance average daytime temps for this tim of year is -10 (or 14 for USA) and today its 2(38) and tomorrow its supposedf to be 9 (48) so as you can see the conditions are not great for snow.

I guess the thing to do is dust off the eliptical trainer in the basement I bought a few years ago throw in some wakeboarding videos and watch them while I do some cardio every day! and maybe do some ab stuff

lol Ed its so funny I picture a guy running a marathon comming to the water stops and you cracking a beer and spraying it all over your face on the way by!! Kudos to you man running a marathon is hard core!!

Smrtz
01-19-2006, 04:09 PM
So there is method to your madness...lol

Hey Ed howcome you dont have an avitar of your boat! If you want send me a pic I will upload it to my webserver for you ... come on gotta have it!

EUSTACE
01-20-2006, 10:06 AM
My routine this off season is 3 days of strength training and 1 day cardio. Last year I did the opposite, I was running 3+ miles 3days a week. I found I was having a lot of knee pain from the running (I don’t think I’m built for distance running).

For me, I feel better spending more time on the weights but everyone is different.

I also have a balance board I picked up a couple of years ago. These things are a must have, I have found great benefit even just spending a few minutes a day on it.

Smrtz
01-20-2006, 01:25 PM
is this the indo board?

I was considering picking one up, but heard that the decks break frequently. can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

EUSTACE
01-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Smrtz, I have a Pivit board. http://www.gopivit.com/ this is the only one I have tired, so I cant comment on the others.

E

Smrtz
01-20-2006, 03:36 PM
wow looks pretty much like the same type oof product but less expensive and better manufacturing. If anyone out ther has tryed both let me know. I think Im gonna order one!

Thanks again for the input!!

Tiltboy
01-22-2006, 01:16 AM
I've got the balance 360 board. It moves in all directions, unlike any other board I've ever seen. They have one on E-bay now, or you can go to their website. I think it's balance 360.com.

Buttafewcoe
01-22-2006, 05:07 AM
After reading all these posts, I may want to expand my routine to more than just 12 ounce curls during the off season. I was thinking about buyin a 24 oz. tall boy.
Yeah, that'll git-er-done!
Yeah.
B

02-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by stang67

Swim 30 hours a week plus lifting and lots of ab work. Gets the job done.
Thats my normal routine, well life.

You could do a mon wed fri lift with abs. On each day lift a group of muscles, say monday work chest and back (bench, rows....) Wed do lift legs (squats, RDLs..) and on friday do arms (curls tricep ext..) do that for 4-6 weeks and change the order along with the exercises done.

On tues, thurs (and sat if desired) do cardio work (running, tredmill, bike, elliptical, swim...)

That and eating heathly with keep you in great shape to be out on the board in March. But the first time back behind the boat no matter how in shape you are, you will be sore, but worth it.

Hope that helped as a general idea.

Eric

I dont get a chance to swim in the off season, but other than that, your workout schedule looks a lot like mine. To ward off the first outing soreness, I try to schedule a trip to orlando or austin for "business" right before the season opens here in Georgia. Both have decent cable parks you get a chance to get the bod used to the forces at work on it while boarding.