PDA

View Full Version : WTB or WTT Tandem Axle Trailer

walb0244
05-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Tried this awhile back with no luck but thought I'd try again. I know this is a long shot but the dealer wasn't any help except to tell me to possibly get on here to find something. I'm hoping that I can find someone interested in switching trailers. I have a single axle trailer and want a tandem. I contacted boatmate and found it is not practical to change it due to I would have to change both axles due to the axle rating. So I'm trying to see if there is someone who keeps there boat on a lift or doesn't tow far that might be interested in switching trailer. My single axle trailer and possibly cash for a tandem axle trailer. I just want the little bit of extra piece of mind when it comes to me towing my boat from Indiana down to Mississippi and Texas. That is a long ways to go on a single axle. Also contacted a local trailer place about putting axles under mine and that wasn't much luck either.

brain_rinse
05-29-2013, 03:56 PM
I'd like to do the same thing. Tandem trailer group buy? :)

tgoody14
05-29-2013, 04:39 PM

I'm in for some of that action!!!

motosno963
05-30-2013, 01:38 AM
i have a tandem maxum trailer (I/O) that came with my outback..been tossing around the idea of swapping for a regular moomba trailer

viking
05-30-2013, 04:34 PM

Let's do it!
Same crappy dealer experience here. I guess there is not market for used boat trailers anywhere?

brain_rinse
05-30-2013, 07:58 PM
I'll see what I can do!

96Comp
05-30-2013, 11:08 PM
I made the jump back in '11. Put your trailer on Craigslist. You'd be surprised about the demand for good inboard trailers. I sold mine to a guy with a Mastercraft and picked up a dual axle from Boatmate. Dual axle provides a lot of piece of mind and just pulls better. BM was a pleasure to deal with, but they don't bargain. They have enough business. Did give me a military discount. Trailer was ready amd waiting when they said it would be. Good people.

kaneboats
05-31-2013, 09:14 AM
I looked for an inboard trailer a few years back. Took several months to find a good one. Between salt on roads up north and salt in the air and water down south there is a bit of a demand for them. Trick is finding one within 5 or 6 hundred miles.

tgoody14
06-12-2013, 11:54 AM
I'll see what I can do!

Anything!?!?

brain_rinse
06-12-2013, 12:10 PM
No go direct from Boatmate due to agreements with SC. Reaching out to the big boss to see what if anything could happen through SC.

sandm
06-12-2013, 08:10 PM
certainly don't want to rain on boatmate's parade, but there are a lot of custom trailer manuf. out there and I would bet everyone has a somewhat local shop that can modify a trailer. might be cheaper to check one of them out to see about converting an existing trailer to dual axle and a new paint job to boot.

gus 08 mobius lsv
06-14-2013, 10:24 PM
i know it would be over kill but you already have one axle that is higher rating so why can't they put a second one on and just space out the old one you have no ... so you'd only be buying one heavy duty axle and the labor. then you would really have a beefy trailer or am i missing something?

brain_rinse
06-14-2013, 11:00 PM
There was another thread in that topic and someone priced out adding an axle at $2500 plus labor

walb0244
06-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Also, from what I was told if you just put another axle under and the trailer is rated for a lot more then the boat the. You could do damage to the boat hull. Basically as you hit bumps the trailer would not absorb any of the shock.

94Boom
06-15-2013, 10:11 PM
I just built a brand new trailer for my Moomba Boomerang. Tandem Axle with brakes on one axle. Built it long enough so that the entire boat is on the trailer from the platform forward. I did all the work myself except building the axles (I have a supplier). All LED lighting, trailer exceeds all requirements for lighting. All the wiring is soldered and shrink wrapped for very low maintenance. Made it with a removable tongue for security and to fit it in the garage. It took me about 2 weeks start to finish. Steps on sides of the trailer for ease of trailer work. I also made it so the axles can be moved forward and back to achieve perfect balance. If anyone has any questions about the build or would like to see pictures of it or the build let me know and I would love to share them with you.

Brian

wolfeman131
06-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I want to see pics! Movable axles?

I'm not as ambitious as you, but really do want to see what you've done.

94Boom
06-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I want to see pics! Movable axles?

I'm not as ambitious as you, but really do want to see what you've done.

Ok here is what I did The frame of the trailer was built with 2x3x.125 tubing. Instead of welding the spring hangers to the frame I bolted 2x2 angle to the tubing, and welded the hangars to it, the angle was 10ft long and also incorporate the steps for standing on Anyways the angle can be moved forward and backwards with the unbolting of the angle and redrilling the holes. I can't seem to post pics up here for some reason but I can email them to someone that can. Let me know.

Brian

kaneboats
06-17-2013, 12:47 PM
OK, Brian sent me a bunch of pics of his trailer build. I am going to post them in a separate thread. I'll put a link below as soon as I get them up.

OK, you can see it here:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?22496-94-Boom-s-Trailer-Build-Thread

KurtL
06-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Thought about axle failure when pulling the boat out to the launch for the season. I put 100 miles a year on the trailer just taking it in to town for service appointments(on lift whole season). Seems like boatmate/sc could allow a tandem axle deal for those of us that purchased a new Moomba with a poorly performing single axle back in 2008. I see yearround was latest victim today of the dreaded 2008 single axle boatmate trailer. Good luck with the repair brother.

This has been a known issue for a few years now.

gus 08 mobius lsv
06-19-2013, 12:46 AM
i have a 2008 as well and i'm dreading if and when this is gonna happen to me can someone tell me what to look for to prevent farther damage or you wait till it happens and any damage to boat?

Wax
06-21-2013, 09:11 PM
I was pretty shocked that my 06 Mobius LSV was on a single axle trailer. My 2000 Lauch was on a double and that was 400lbs lighter dry! These must be like 5000lb axles lol! I know the boat's only 3300, but still even 4000lb axle would be cutting it close with gas and gear.

Is it really that dangerous to be pulling my boat on a single? I picked it up in Indy and drove back to Michigan no problem. I mean the trailer almost looks overloaded to the eye, but still I find it hard to believe that Moomba/Boatmate would put new boat buyers in a dangerous situation (knowingly), unless there was just a run of trailers with a defect or something. I heard somebody mention 2008, is it limited to boats from that year or is it just Boatmate single axles in general? I see some pretty big boats from other brands on single axles (like Malibu, Supra 20SSV, big I/Os).

Anyway, my point to all of this is my neighbor's son bought a 2005 SAN, and it was on a Supra Boatmate double axle trailer (looks like late 90s/early 2000s, blue in color, looks exactly like my 2000 Launch trailer except fenders aren't painted). He bought a trailer specific for his Nautique, so now this boatmate is sitting next door to me and he wants to sell it. Should I really consider buying it? I bet I could sell mine for as much as it would cost to buy his.

If any of you guys are interested in it, just PM me your name and cell number and I'll get you in touch with him (as long as I don't buy it lol!). We're located a little north of Detroit.

Wax
06-22-2013, 08:51 PM
I talked to him today, he's asking $2500 or best offer. PM me if you want me to give him your contact info. I really don't think I'm going to buy it, I like my matching orange trailer, I live on a lake so rarely trailer, and it's a lot easier to move the single axle around (I use my golf cart lol).

Wax
06-22-2013, 10:23 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/Neller0414/20130621_203743_zps798006fa.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Neller0414/media/20130621_203743_zps798006fa.jpg.html)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/Neller0414/20130621_203735_zps920e2878.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Neller0414/media/20130621_203735_zps920e2878.jpg.html)

rileyk
06-24-2013, 06:52 AM
I have a friend on the Supra forum that wants to trade a dual axle for a single axle! I would Be happy to ask him - he is on lake Lanier...

NCSUmoomba
06-24-2013, 10:34 AM
I don't think it is the single axle specifically is the issue from what I see, it seems to be more of a torsion axle issue. The torsion axle seems to be an optional upgrade from the leaf springs. I wonder if there is a way to swap the torsion axles out for leaf springs? I also wonder what the benefit is supposed to be to justify the torsion upgrade, (and how much it costs)?

I don't worry about towing my boat with a single. I tow about 50 to 60 miles round trip each time I go to the lake. I go at least once a week, sometimes twice a week during the season, so that works out to about 2000-2500 miles a year. I'm on my eight season, and I am the second owner, and I have also taken a handful of long trips with the boat. So I am going to guess that my boat has somewhere in the 20 to 25k miles on it, and I have had very little trouble with it. (Single axle leaf spring). I just noticed last week that one of my bearing seals has failed. I did replace the actuator last year, and my safety cables broke. All in all not to bad for a 12 year old trailer that gets that much use. My boat is an Outback, so it is not quite as heavy as the bigger v-drives.