PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new wakesurf board

Jayrodau
05-28-2013, 02:08 PM
What recommendation does everyone have for a beginner length wakesurf board? I am 5'10 190lbs.

I have been looking at this board that is on sale and curious about the length?
http://www.evo.com/outlet/wake-surfboards/liquid-force-doum-skim-wakesurf-board-2012.aspx

bergermaister
05-28-2013, 03:53 PM
A single fin skim may be a bit squirrelly for a beginner board and probably right at the limit on length for your size.

I'd suggest going 5' board or larger to start with - any of the entry level Hyperlite Broadcast, Liquid Force, CWB ride, etc. would be a good place to start and then typically end up being a boat board for other riders as you progress and want something better.

Do some searching on the forum or browse the Wakesurfing section and you'll see A LOT of reviews and recommendations.

Good luck!

moombadaze
05-28-2013, 08:31 PM
my vote is for the Hyperlight broadcast board-great beginner board, remove a fin or 2 and you can get a loose riding board, but one of the biggest advantages is that it will fit the factory wakeboard rack slots, everyone can ride it so later down the road it will become the board board.

wolfeman131
05-28-2013, 09:49 PM
The Doum board is a great board for beginners but won't disappoint as you advance. I'd buy it over the Hyperlite, CWB & Ronix boards.

bergermaister
05-29-2013, 01:43 AM
The Doum board is a great board for beginners but won't disappoint as you advance. I'd buy it over the Hyperlite, CWB & Ronix boards.

Really? I never would have guessed that would be a good ride for beginners. Every skim I'm been on has been super squirrely by comparison. But then again I don't have 20+ boards out in my shed like some guys :cool:

kaneboats
05-29-2013, 11:12 AM
The Broadcast is set up for 3 fins and you can remove the two outer ones for a more slippery ride but removing the center one and just using the two shorter outer ones is the setup for some slippery fun.

wolfeman131
05-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Really? I never would have guessed that would be a good ride for beginners. Every skim I'm been on has been super squirrely by comparison. But then again I don't have 20+ boards out in my shed like some guys :cool:

I say this as most folks that start with the others soon leave them behind. I figure why not spend about the same that will work for the current need as well as allow for some progression.

mmandley
05-29-2013, 11:36 AM
I say this as most folks that start with the others soon leave them behind. I figure why not spend about the same that will work for the current need as well as allow for some progression.

Thats crazy talk right there...

wolfeman131
05-29-2013, 11:36 AM
What do you find crazy about that?

mmandley
05-29-2013, 11:53 AM
What do you find crazy about that?

Buying a board that you might use after you advance to the next level LOL

wolfeman131
05-29-2013, 12:07 PM
ah haaaa . . . .

missed that sarcasm.

I loved learning the sport from Daze & Kane a few years ago and they taught my entire family on a Broadcast. The points made for the Broadcast are valid and strong and it could/should be considered. These can be extended to the other boards mentioned. Our first board purchased was the LF Venture. We loved it b/c we could surf! It now hangs on the wall. We don't even use it as the "boat" board as we've found that the kids learn faster/better on a P5 Scamp or Soulcraft grom and the adults learn better/faster on the IS Blue Lake, P5 Oogle or Model X. We let them try each and see how they gravitate to one vs the other.

We're fortunate (or stupid, based on perspective) to have a few different boards for folks to try. But, for those that don't, or don't have a place to store that many boards on the boat, IMO the Doum is one of the best boards out there based on price point and performance for into to intermediate. It's not great for a huge range in people sizes, say 50lb kids to 200lb Dads, but I argue that NO board meets that goal.

jedandsara
03-31-2015, 10:40 PM
ah haaaa . . . .

missed that sarcasm.

I loved learning the sport from Daze & Kane a few years ago and they taught my entire family on a Broadcast. The points made for the Broadcast are valid and strong and it could/should be considered. These can be extended to the other boards mentioned. Our first board purchased was the LF Venture. We loved it b/c we could surf! It now hangs on the wall. We don't even use it as the "boat" board as we've found that the kids learn faster/better on a P5 Scamp or Soulcraft grom and the adults learn better/faster on the IS Blue Lake, P5 Oogle or Model X. We let them try each and see how they gravitate to one vs the other.

We're fortunate (or stupid, based on perspective) to have a few different boards for folks to try. But, for those that don't, or don't have a place to store that many boards on the boat, IMO the Doum is one of the best boards out there based on price point and performance for into to intermediate. It's not great for a huge range in people sizes, say 50lb kids to 200lb Dads, but I argue that NO board meets that goal.
Drew, how is the Blue Lake for speed and weight? I hear a lot of good as far as being an all around board for a wide range of people. I am wondering if it is a good board for intermediate level and above. Can you grow your skills on the board? I've only ever surfed and LF Fish wondering how you would say it compares?

wolfeman131
03-31-2015, 10:53 PM
IMO, the blue lake is in a different league than the fish. It's a great board, but it's a big cruiser. I call it my "Caddy" because you can cruise that board all day long. Mine is older and I think you'll find the newer ones a bit more nimble.

sandm
04-01-2015, 07:43 AM
started on the broadcast and it was a good board, but outgrew it VERY quickly.

we have had better luck training new peeps on the IS 4-skim and daniello Pro than the broadcast. with smaller peeps, that board was too heavy and buoyant to learn on.