PDA

View Full Version : Kamberra upgrades - feedback question

rc5695
05-25-2013, 10:24 PM
So, I bought a couple amps and Infinity tower speakers off another member on here last year, and finally got around to installing them, along with the 2nd battery and ACR. I didn't bother with the switch as I don't feel it is necessary with the ACR for my set-up/usage.

My problem is that I get the alternator whine through my cabin speakers now, which are connected thru the used Infinity amp that I bought. Didn't check TOO closely, but I didn't notice it from my tower speakers (thru my old Kenwood amp). ALL power wires for the whole stereo system come off the 2nd battery, except the remote turn-on for the head unit, which is off the dash rocker switch. Any ideas? Bad amp? Noise filter?

NO, it doesn't look perfect, but it is outta site and outta mind. And the tower speakers are mounted like they are because they dont' fit under my bimini...but they work.1733217333173341733517336

rca
05-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Might try turning the gain down. I had to on my setup.

rc5695
05-25-2013, 10:40 PM
couple more pics173371733817339

ian ashton
05-26-2013, 02:41 AM
If your head unit is connected to the start battery and your amps are connected to the other that is a likely cause.

Another thing that I've found is that the factory wiring to ground the head unit is really long - run a ground from the head unit directly to the battery that the amps are connected to and I bet your problem goes away.

bergermaister
05-26-2013, 10:24 PM
^^^ Yup, common, clean ground to all will surprise you.

rc5695
05-28-2013, 12:40 PM
hmm. I have all components to common ground EXCEPT the head unit, but I'm only getting feedback thru 1 of the amps.

So to remedy:
1- removed the tiny sub amp as it wasn't NEARLY strong enough
2- hooked the subs to the white infinity amp and put the sub pre-amp's to it.
3- wired cabin speakers and tower speakers to the OLD Kenwood amp

Works awesome! Just need to upgrade cabin speakers now...and it is in the works ;)

rc5695
05-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Oh yea, I also want to switch my balast pumps to run off the 2nd battery instead of my cranking battery. Shouldn't be hard.

MLA
05-28-2013, 12:54 PM
hmm. I have all components to common ground EXCEPT the head unit, but I'm only getting feedback thru 1 of the amps

Unless your house battery is a complete stand-alone bank, which it doesnt sound like it as its connected with an ACR, then at the end of the day, all grounds are common and all lead back to the engine block. In most cases, we find the root cause of unwanted noise in boats with dual banks is the head-unit is still on the factory boat harness and draws from the main cranking battery, where as the amps are drawing from the house battery.

rc5695
05-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Unless your house battery is a complete stand-alone bank, which it doesnt sound like it as its connected with an ACR, then at the end of the day, all grounds are common and all lead back to the engine block. In most cases, we find the root cause of unwanted noise in boats with dual banks is the head-unit is still on the factory boat harness and draws from the main cranking battery, where as the amps are drawing from the house battery.

You're correct in my set-up. I actually suspected the same thing (head unit being supplied thru factory harness), so I wired the head unit main power to the house battery as well, and there was NO change. I think the amp has issues, and the noise is a tone that's above my 80Hz cutoff now.

Not perfect, but it works and I'm happy with it ;)