PDA

View Full Version : Brake caliper stuck - weekend kiboshed - recommend checking these

moombabound
05-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Brought the boat home from storage Thursday. Didn't notice any drag, but after a few miles, on a hunch, checked tire/rim temp. One was quite warm. Pulsed the brakes to see if that would release it. But jacked it up at home (another 10 miles) and very sticky; took effort to rotate the wheel.

I checked Boatmate manuals online, and there is no specific periodic maintenance for calipers. Being in and out of the water twice a weekend when boat is used, I guess after 5 years these things can seize up.

Dealer ordered in a caliper. I don't like the $449.00 bill to replace it, but I guess these must be specialized?

Anyhow, I don't need any input, just a suggestion to stop after a few miles if you do haul it (I only haul mine twice/year) and check rim temp.

Thus killed the May long weekend...(and a mighty whack to the wallet).

parrothd
05-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Dealer?!?! Autozone..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

moombabound
05-23-2013, 01:00 AM
Ya, electrically operated pressure release valve for backing up wasn't working either, so off to the dealer for both. That'll be a few additional bucks.

kaneboats
05-23-2013, 11:30 AM
If I only towed a little ole OBV twice a year I'd be tempted to just remove the brakes.

rdlangston13
05-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Dude! Go to pacifictrailers.com! 449 bucks is about 5 times too much! I just did all 4 calipers, rotors, bearings and all on my trailer for under 500 last year!

Sent from my iPhone

SupraLaunch21V
05-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Everyone,
I'm on the Supra forum too. . . BoatMate tech and support is great. THey have manuals posted and how-to's. .but my question is this. . these are supposed to be " relatively " maint free systems. Manual actuators etc.

I maintain my brakes, but I'm a bit miffed at why after only a few years we're sinking some coin into the brake systems. I would think these calipers would be good for 10 years plus. Heck, my drag and race cars get better mileage.

mnpracing
05-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Dude! Go to pacifictrailers.com! 449 bucks is about 5 times too much! I just did all 4 calipers, rotors, bearings and all on my trailer for under 500 last year!

Sent from my iPhone

X2 - individual parts aren't too expensive and fairly easy for someone like me who is not too mechanically inclined.

kaneboats
05-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Hey Supralauncher, tell us what all you do to maintain your brakes. Can't hurt.

jmb
05-24-2013, 01:34 PM
I rebled my brakes and it took care of my problem.

SupraLaunch21V
05-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Annual Maintence such as bleeding, lubricating the disc brake pad channels and replacing old fluid. The core problem with the lock up's that I've heard is that the piston dust boot doesn't keep debris out of the cyclinder wall, hence the piston doesn't retract and causing the brakes to be partially or fully engaged during transit. That's not an industry wide problem with brake calipers.

I rebled mine twice and it did'nt full solve the issue until I took a c clamp ( doubled up the outer / inner brake pad ) and used the force of the c clamp to push the piston back into its recess position. I'm just worried that this was a temporary fix and that the next time I apply the brakes ( under hard braking ) that the problem will reoccur.

NCSUmoomba
05-25-2013, 08:11 AM
I hope the dealer is going to install and bleed and test the brakes for that much money. The calipers are only around $50. The back up solenoid is also only about $50.

toksik
06-10-2013, 05:51 PM
I just ordered a set of calipers from Pacific Trailers too. They are only $65 per caliper, and that includes brake pads. Tell your dealer to suck it! Wow, that is a huge mark-up. Also, if you want to lock your brakes out for backing up, just go get a lock-pin from a boat shop; they are cheap.

Sent from my iPhone