PDA

View Full Version : Amp / wiring protection

TL7
05-20-2013, 03:50 PM
My amp(s) are in the factory location, on the wall of the port side behind observer seat. Everything is wired nice and snug, but I'd like to put something over both amps and wires to protect them. Obviously I'd want something like a wire mesh or similar that wouldn't restrict what little air flow there already is down there.

Reasoning? When we have a full boat, I'm always paranoid that the stuff people cram in there will either somehow snag a wire and it'll get yanked out, or the amps will get suffocated and overheat when things get stuffed too close to them.

Before the "tell them to leave everything at home" crowd chimes in, I've done that and it's a non issue with our normal crew. However, often we have new people on the boat and inevitably there are purses, backpacks, towels, etc that get crammed under there. I have the room, so I'd much rather just fabricate a protective cage to ease my mind than be a boat nazi that complains when people bring stuff. After all, the idea is to have fun, and I'd rather just do this than get stressed out about it.

So, that being said, who has some ideas?

zabooda
05-20-2013, 07:06 PM
A wire basket type mesh around the electronics. You need air space for the amps anyway.

moombadaze
05-20-2013, 07:28 PM
in florida, people put a mesh screen around there pools to help keep bugs out, bet it would be easy to fabricate a screen wall to protect the amps.

rdlangston13
05-20-2013, 08:26 PM
there is actually a good amount of storage space in front of the drivers foot well accessible by removing the right bow cushion. you may be able to split some of the storage up this way.

E4NASH
05-20-2013, 10:18 PM
there is actually a good amount of storage space in front of the drivers foot well accessible by removing the right bow cushion. you may be able to split some of the storage up this way.

Not if there's a sub in there. Since I plumbed in all of my bags I lost a lot of storage except for under the helm (in front of the sub) and in the amp compartment. I relocated batteries to give more room. The only thing I worry about is when it gets hot and there is a lot of stuff in there and it preventing airflow. I just try and pack the stuff as far away from the amps as possible in there.

rdlangston13
05-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Not if there's a sub in there. Since I plumbed in all of my bags I lost a lot of storage except for under the helm (in front of the sub) and in the amp compartment. I relocated batteries to give more room. The only thing I worry about is when it gets hot and there is a lot of stuff in there and it preventing airflow. I just try and pack the stuff as far away from the amps as possible in there.

i have never seen a sub mounted in the location i mentioned. i thought about moving one of my stereo batteries over there but David from earmark made it sound like my boat would sink or something if I did so I guess its not a good idea haha

E4NASH
05-20-2013, 10:49 PM
i have never seen a sub mounted in the location i mentioned. i thought about moving one of my stereo batteries over there but David from earmark made it sound like my boat would sink or something if I did so I guess its not a good idea haha

My box for my sub underneath my helm extends into the area that you are talking about. I'm able to fit my box anchor there (collapsed) and that's about it. U see my bow seats is my IBS.

rdlangston13
05-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Well I have that large hump from the factory there and I have an IBS user the bow too but with the IBS full I still have enough room between it and the hump under the helm area to fit 1 or 2 backpacks I would say. Now you can't access them if you have have the IBS full however

Sent from my iPhone

TL7
05-20-2013, 11:13 PM
David I get where you are talking about, but that's not a guaranteed dry spot, plus hard to use with IBS full.

I guess a mesh basket is what I had in mind. Kind of like a wire basket hunters would put around the bottom of feeders to keep the raccoons out. Just not sure what the easiest way to make one would be. I want it to be aesthetically pleasing, not some crappy collection of wire!

wolfeman131
05-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Make a frame out of electrical PVC conduit (the grey plastic pipe) and bend some varmint wire around it then use a few of the u shaped brackets they have to secure it to your amp board.

rdlangston13
05-21-2013, 07:49 AM
How about gets some hdpe type plastic to build a frame for the area you want covered then install some plexi glass over the the frame. you can drill small holes in the plexi glass too give it some kind of design and also allow air ciculation. i think it would look much better than mesh wire

TL7
05-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm digging the plexi glass concept. Wheels are turning now. Stay tuned...

wolfeman131
05-21-2013, 11:50 AM
i think it would look much better than mesh wire

absolutely, but you'll have to make sure you get the air flow needed or add a fan. Brave a trip to the wakeworld site as there are some great install pics where folks have used plexi.

wolfeman131
05-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Thought someone had suggested working with plexiglas?

check this out:

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/e8e2ad4a6241bcb3a61c8f4eecc16b86.jpg

cfdrews12
05-13-2014, 12:08 PM
i've tried multiple failed attempts, and are looking to do yet something different this year. While I still have my batteries and my amp installed on the port wall, tucked in and around the corner, I still have people throwing shirts, hats, towels, etc., in there when boarding and surfing.

I've tried to build a nice shelf and line with boat carpet. Bad idea. To hard to wrestle into place and out of place when you want to get to the batteries or wiring.

I' then tried to make a PVC shelf so that water and air flow aren't a problem. Again, hard to wrestle into place and didnt' necessarily work out.

Next I think I'll build a shelf cut out of plexiglass and drill holes for air flow and breathing. Will mount on shelf brackets of some kind so it can go in and come out easily.

Planning the attempt this weekend, will take pictures if it turns out worth a dime.