PDA

View Full Version : Oz Tower Hand Knob Doesn't Tighten?

IGotTheBoatItch
05-20-2013, 08:32 AM
I just got a 2013 Outback V and I noticed that the hand knob to tighten one side of the Oz tower won't tighten because it doesn't catch. Is anyone else having this issue? The dealer told me that this is not a major concern, but I feel uncomfortable towing people with only one bolt holding the tower up.

wolfeman131
05-20-2013, 08:48 AM
NO WAY!!!!

Tell your dealer to check page 10 of the Owner's Manual which clearly states the following:

"Loose fittings may result in tower collapse. Check tightness of tower bolts and knobs before each use."

The above is also stated on a warning sticker that is applied on/near your tower.

tnbrooks01
05-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Let your tower down and tighten the nut on the back side I the knob. While you are doing this also clean the threads on both the knob and the block it screws in to. There is probably powder coating caked in there not allowing the knob to catch. You may also have to push the side of the tower in to get it to seat properly on the block.

Had to do this process on my 13LSV and no problems since. Its not a big deal to fix but DO NOT use with only one knob on tower installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
05-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Great advice for a fix from Todd! Hopefully, as he stated, it's not a big deal to fix.

Jon
05-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Please give me a call and I can help you address the issue. The tower should not be used with only 1 knob installed.

Jon Allen
Customer Service
Skier's Choice, Inc.
865-983-9924 ext. 148
[email protected]

motosno963
05-20-2013, 12:46 PM
jon, i also lost one of my knobs for the 04 rad a cage and the other one , like stated above, does not catch the bolt..the knob just turns. is there a part number for these that i can order orrrr?

wolfeman131
05-20-2013, 12:58 PM
this ? has been asked a few times and I think most end up going thru a dealer and the knob was something like $12-$15

If you don't have a dealer close, call Cynde @ Atlanta Marine and she will ship it to your door. 770-945-5666

motosno963
05-20-2013, 01:09 PM
sounds good wolfiieee

Jon
05-20-2013, 02:03 PM
motosno963,

The part number for the 2004 tower knob is 104033 and is available through any of our dealers.

*Please note that this is a different part than the knob on the 2013 OZ tower mentioned in the original post.*

moombadaze
05-20-2013, 02:09 PM
standing outside the boat with my wife or daughter holding the tower up, I have to push the base of the tower inwards and can then get the hand knob to start, otherwise its not going to work at all. its all gotta line up just perfect. had the same issue at first and was cussing up a storm that first day i put the tower up.

tnbrooks01
05-20-2013, 03:43 PM
standing outside the boat with my wife or daughter holding the tower up, I have to push the base of the tower inwards and can then get the hand knob to start, otherwise its not going to work at all. its all gotta line up just perfect. had the same issue at first and was cussing up a storm that first day i put the tower up.

Same here. But I've learned how to do it myself.

moombadaze
05-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Same here. But I've learned how to do it myself.

how?????? stupid 10 characters

tnbrooks01
05-20-2013, 07:48 PM
how?????? stupid 10 characters

While in the boat, facing the side hook my front arm around the tower by tower speakers and lift quickly by leaning back . When the tower gets up I shake the tower to get it passed the area that I used to push in. As it gets passed that I start the knob to secure it. On the other side I just pull down quickly and start that knob.

It is much harder than having my son help but it is doable. On many days I get the boat ready before he gets home from school so we can leave right as he gets home.

NateHaskovec
05-23-2013, 11:04 PM
I just got a 2013 Outback V and I noticed that the hand knob to tighten one side of the Oz tower won't tighten because it doesn't catch. Is anyone else having this issue? The dealer told me that this is not a major concern, but I feel uncomfortable towing people with only one bolt holding the tower up.

2013 LSV does the same thing. Pull the back of the base toward you a little (from inside the boat) while turning the knob and it will catch.

You have to pull pretty hard.

knauf1
06-21-2013, 10:16 PM
I havI have a 2013 LSV. On my fourth time out brought the boat home to put in the garage and couldn't get the bolt to reverse out of the tower my 10 year had no issue earlier in the day screwing it in so I’m sure it did get stripped. Called the dealer asked what do he said just put a racket on it and I said won’t that destroy the knob he’s like sure we will send you a new one right away. Guess what snapped the bolt off inside the rack. Guess how much fun it is to extract a bolt from that tower rack not very easy worst engineering design I’ve ever seen. After an hour with an easyout and tap got the bolt parts out. So now I’m 4 days out and my dealer hasn’t sent the new part yet called him 3 times and I just wasted a day off that I couldn’t go boating. Really digging my new LSV and the awesome dealer I have wish I would have bought that MasterCraft.e a 2013 LSV on my 4 time out brought the boat home to put in the garage and couldn't get the bolt to reverse out of the boat my 10 year had no issue earlier in the day screwing it in.

rileyk
06-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Got the same issue - figured if I tighten drivers side first then tighten the other side it works - many 4 letter words have been uttered the first time I tried to put the tower up! This shouldn't be this way on a brand new boat...