PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass vs. cruise control

Margie
01-13-2006, 11:04 AM
I am purchasing a new Moomba Outback and am getting the EFI engine upgrade which automatically comes with cruise control. I was planning on getting Perfect Pass until I heard about the cruise control. Am wondering if there would still be an advantage to Perfect Pass on top of cruise. One of the things that drove me crazy about my old Moomba was that the speedometers were never accurate with all the jostling, and I'd have to synchronize it to my cousin's, using his Perfect Pass system which always had an accurate speedometer reading. Am worried that cruise control might still give me inaccurate speedometer readings . . . any thoughts? This is new to Moomba this year so don't know if anyone has tried it.

lowdrag
01-14-2006, 01:04 AM
I believe the cruise control is an RPM only base speed controller. When you set it to cruise it just locks the engine in at the current RPM's. This means it will run independently from the speedometers. So, yes, you're speedometers could still be off. Easiest way to make sure they're always accurate is to buy a cheap GPS unit and take it out in the boat. I usually just use the GPS and dial the speedos in to match it when I'm heading out to our wakeboarding spot.

The downside that I've heard about this system is that sometimes it has trouble maintaining a constant speed especially if you're running a lot of ballast for boarding.

tys_kanga
01-14-2006, 04:27 PM
where is the speedo adjustment. Mine needs adjusting?

lowdrag
01-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Without knowing how old your boat is I couldnt' tell you for sure. My last boat didn't have one that I'm aware of, but I guess there could have been some way to adjust it on the back of the gauge. That boat was an '87. Anymore, they all have a dial right next to the face on the guage.

tys_kanga
01-15-2006, 10:54 AM
it is an 01' Kanga

lowdrag
01-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Same advice. There should be a black dial on the dash right by the gauge to adjust it. If not, check the back of the gauge for some sort of adjustment screw. Other than that, I wouldn't know what to tell you.