PDA

View Full Version : prop or transmission slipping

worledl
05-13-2013, 06:15 PM
I took my 2007 Outback direct drive out for the first run of the season this weekend. When pulling up a boarder, either the prop or transmission slipped during the hole shot within the first couple seconds of applying throttle, for just a second, and then caught and powered up to speed with no issues. This only occurred when pulling--not when throttling without a skier. I called the guy who winterized it and he said it is likely that the prop is bent and slipping rather than transmission, which shouldn't do that. Any ideas?

kevkev
05-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Check your tranny fluid level.

DOCDRS
05-13-2013, 10:32 PM
check your coupler bolts, look at your prop. let us know

maxpower220
05-14-2013, 07:40 AM
It is most likely the tranny fluid is low. check the level and add as needed. You can visually check the prop, but that doesn't mean you will see a bend. Usually, if a prop is bent enough to cause a slippage, you will have vibrations.

Fluid is cheap and easy. Start there.

worledl
05-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the advice!! My prop was bent and I straightened it with a pair of pliers--probably not the best fix. But it isn't vibrating. I am planning to take the boat out this weekend so I can warm the engine up and then check and fill tranny fluid as you suggest. If that doesn't fix it I will send prop off to have it rebuilt. If neither of those things work I'll be back here.

wolfeman131
05-14-2013, 04:45 PM
If you're prop was bend and you repaired it with some pliers, I hate to tell you this, but it's probably still bent and running a damaged prop can cause some more issues for you. You should get a new prop, send that one off for repair and don't run the boat until you know you have a good prop on the boat.