PDA

View Full Version : first time surfing

pdx 12mojo
05-11-2013, 06:24 PM
looking for a little advice on surfing with a 2012 mojo with factory ballast (2 450lb bags in the back lockers, and the hard tank). So my previous boat was on I/O so we have never surfed before. my main thing i want to know is if the boat is surf-able with just the factory ballast? just keep in mind that i am not looking for the best wave ever, just something to learn and have fun on at first.

thanks

Salyers
05-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Get bigger bags:)

But seriously, if u can't get new bags at the moment u could fill and then cap off the first bag then hook up the second bag and fill it in the same locker.

Best bet is either to get bigger bags or lots of people to use as ballast!

pdx 12mojo
05-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Get bigger bags:)

But seriously, if u can't get new bags at the moment u could fill and then cap off the first bag then hook up the second bag and fill it in the same locker.

Best bet is either to get bigger bags or lots of people to use as ballast!

are you recommending i just get bigger bags for the back? would 750's work? i would like to keep so room back there for storage.

pdx 12mojo
05-11-2013, 06:51 PM
maybe i could just use my sister as a ballast system

E4NASH
05-11-2013, 07:39 PM
You should get 1100s and an IBS. Lots of info on here regarding weighting a Mojo. Look for post by Wolfeman and mmandley. I think most run 1100s in rear 400s under side seats, Center tank/bag and an IBS. That is also what I run in my LSV.

TuxRaptor
05-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Thoughts on an 09 Outback V ballast for surfing. I have the Gravity III system currently, I saw some 750lb bags at my local sports store today for $150. Would it be as easy as unplugging my current bags and plugging the new ones in? Not sure if there is a standard on the fill connection?

hans
05-11-2013, 09:55 PM
I don t know for the Mojo but with the lsv yes you can surf with only the stock ballast but the wake as not a lot of push so it is harder for a beginner because you really have to stay in the sweet spot and this spot is not long. for me bigger bags= easier and much more fun. I run the same bags as E4Nash in my Lsv and the wave is a lot longer and has a lot of push.......so you don t have to fight to stay on the wave....

wolfeman131
05-11-2013, 10:37 PM
You should get 1100s and an IBS. Lots of info on here regarding weighting a Mojo. Look for post by Wolfeman and mmandley. I think most run 1100s in rear 400s under side seats, Center tank/bag and an IBS. That is also what I run in my LSV.

This is the way to go with a Mojo. You'll get frustrated trying with just the stock bags. At a minimum, you need the 1,100 for the surf side.

wolfeman131
05-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Thoughts on an 09 Outback V ballast for surfing. I have the Gravity III system currently, I saw some 750lb bags at my local sports store today for $150. Would it be as easy as unplugging my current bags and plugging the new ones in? Not sure if there is a standard on the fill connection?

Buy them & you'll be happy. Might be plug & play, but there are 3/4" and 1" fittings out there. I think your boat has 3/4", but if those bags have 1", you can order new ones from wakemakers.com and swap them out.

pdx 12mojo
05-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Do I need to support the wall next to the engine compartment with the 1100's in there? And if so how?

wolfeman131
05-11-2013, 10:47 PM
I haven't. I just deal with the slight bowing of the panels. Search the forum as others have done it and several different ways. Moombadaze recently did it on his 2013 LSV, mandley on his 08 LSV (not sure he got to his Mojo yet) and many others.

TuxRaptor
05-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the quick response. After I posted my response I see that it is only $40 more dollars for the 1100 pound bags. Is that smart idea for my 09 outback V or stick with the 750's?

wolfeman131
05-11-2013, 11:16 PM
I'd stick with the 750's in the OBV.

pdx 12mojo
05-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks for your help!!! So what about a sac in the bow under the bow filler cushion. Would that help? I dont think I want an IBS right now because I dont want to lose the storage space.

Salyers
05-12-2013, 08:53 AM
It would help but its not really far enough forwart to really sink the nose down. it would be better than notthing at all.

The IBS will help to increase the length of the pocket or surfable part of the wave. It is highly recommended. If you don't add some weight to the front with 1100lbs in the rear corner you'll have a huge wave, but you won't be able to get too far behind the boat.

If you are brand new to surfing then you really don't want a big wave right away. A nice medium sized wave with good push is what u want. We are just telling u what you'll want by the middle of summer:). Also take one of your current 400lb sacs and put it under the passenger seat closest to the rear of the side your surfing on.

If u get these 3 bags 1100(2) and the IBS you won't need anything else......until u get into custom sacs like a couple of us are talking about doing.

moombahighrider
05-12-2013, 09:24 AM
While I agree with the advice these guys are giving you on what bags will work best (and I do not have a mojo, or ridden in/ behind one), I would be surprised if you could not get started surfing with your stock setup.

Guys, feel free to shoot me down, but the op is asking if the mojo will allow them to get started and learn to surf with a stock setup. surely it will, right? I started surfing with the stock setup on my lsv and then upgraded the bags from there. Not everyone loves to surf as much as most of you and I do, so maybe they can try it out and figure out the priorities versus cost to them. Sometimes a more mellow wave can allow a person to feel more comfortable with a new thing.

I say go and spend some time surfing your stock setup first and then decide what works for you.

wolfeman131
05-12-2013, 09:59 AM
It all depends on your tolerance for frustration.

The Mojo is a pretty big boat and it takes a bit to get it to lean and produce a decent surf wave. If you don't want to spend any coin and try out surfing, then take Mike's advice and fill the center and stack the bags in the rear surf corner.

pdx 12mojo
05-12-2013, 10:13 AM
How do the 1100 pound sacks effect wakeboarding. I cant imagine using that much weight in the back. it seems like it would be pretty hard to make sure they both have the same weight as to not wash out the wake on one side or the other.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

sandm
05-12-2013, 10:36 AM
turn on both fill switches at the same time and watch one side. when they are half full give or take, shut off and watch wake. use your people to adjust side to side for wash issues. you(as the driver) can also watch the wake and top off one side or the other as you pull.
personally, I like to take the second set behind a boat and drive the first to make sure the wake is where it should be. as the owner/driver, I know what I need to do to get the best wake.

mmandley
05-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Hey there PDX been reading the thread just giving people a chance to get there input in.

For surfing the mojo, i have surfed it with 650s, 900, 1100, 1180, apx 1500 in the rear of the boat.
I have also surfed it with 500, 950, 1050, and 1500 in the nose.

Surfed it from everything between 9.5mph and 12.5 mph for speeds.

I already have 24 hours on my new boat and 22 of them are surfing and working on the surf wave.

I have a lot of bags and options we could try on your Mojo and see what you really like without you spending any money up front. Just pick a Sun Mon Tues and ill meet you at Hagg with my gear, we will try each combo and see what you prefer to start with. Also most all my bags are for sale and it would be cheaper then going new, yet all my bags are only 2 months old LOL.

Send me a PM if you want my cell and we should meet up. Also id be more then willing to take you and your family out in our Mojo and show you what a Saced out Mojo can do.

I just got my Enzo 1500 L bag in and with my 1050 in the nose i think i will finally have the bog long surf wave i prefer.

pdx 12mojo
05-12-2013, 01:20 PM
sunday, monday, tuesday huh? i think i might know where you work. sounds like shift 7/6 correct? i work shift 4 so i have the exact opposite days off. lol

snyderaaron
05-12-2013, 01:20 PM
I was able to learn to surf on my stock 400lbs on my LSV. Once I upgraded to the 750 it was a lot easier and more fun. My friends dad always told us, no need by buy extra weight, just get some bigger girlfriends. We used the idea of bringing more people to add weight, problem is then you have to let every have their turn. Ballast bags dont want to surf so they are great, hahaha. Mike forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think I bought your old 750s

wolfeman131
05-12-2013, 10:44 PM
1050 in the nose .

What are you using to get this?

Boonejeepin
05-12-2013, 10:47 PM

I think that is the IBS and the factory tank.

Not sure but I think the tank is 500lbs and the IBS is 650lbs.

mmandley
05-12-2013, 10:51 PM

Opps sorry used to the LSV 400-650 nose, Guess im running 1150 nose LOL

Snyderaaron yes sir you are correct.

PDX yup i work S7 at D1D/D1X in LIWS <liquid industrial waste systems>

wolfeman131
05-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Dang it, thought you found something new. Have you had a chance to run the Enzo bag yet?

Boonejeepin
05-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Dang it, thought you found something new. Have you had a chance to run the Enzo bag yet?

There is always lead!!!

I am obsessed with more ballast.

wolfeman131
05-13-2013, 06:34 AM
I've thought about it, but the boat stays on a lift and I don't want to have to haul lead in/out all the time.

mmandley
05-13-2013, 12:16 PM

No weather people said all week we would have rain on Sunday, so i didnt get a crew, we went down to Jester's area in Eugene and it was sunny and 80 all day, wish we would have taken the boat LOL.

Should be going out Tuesday