PDA

View Full Version : questions about new purchase

tys_kanga
01-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, yes i am what i guess you would call a newbie to the these boards so feel free to break me in. Anyhow i have a few questions about about a 01 kanga i just got. I need a mooring cover. Is it best to go with the factory or after market? Also the boat is equipped with the perfect pass, however it does not work. Where do I start with that and are they very expensive to fix? Other than that i am open for suggestions. thanks for any help.

smokedog2
01-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Perhaps you missed the memo, boat, like laser is an abbreviation.

It stands for Break Out Another Thousand.

PP could be a cable, the fly wheel, power, who knows.

The cover - you can save a few bucks after market and pick your material. I think covers lead to mold & mildew but others disagree.

SD2

qb12
01-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Smoke and Ed. You guys are a laugh a minute.

In regards to your Perfect Pass you might to to their website and download a manual.

On the cover skiboatcovers.com has very good pricing for a good custom fit cover.

smokedog2
01-12-2006, 01:01 PM
The liquid Force Control 41 skate just arrived from Buywake. Red cus it is the fastest.

My CWB e-bay Science Board (red) should get here soon.

Headed for the boat show this weekend.

BOAT is a conservative estimate.

SD2

tys_kanga
01-12-2006, 05:05 PM
thanks for the help guys, it gives me somewhere to start. Do you think that mold will be a big issue if my boat is stored in a dry stack?

zabooda
01-13-2006, 01:07 AM
I dunno bout the dry stack but I stored mine in a short stack at IHOP. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Catdog1
01-13-2006, 06:20 AM
Congrats. Kanga is a great boat. The closed bow adds a lot of rigidity to the basic outback platform. Anything posted on the outbacks, 99,00, 01 should apply ( correct me if i'm wrong on this). Archives here go back a few years and should be useful

A true factory cover is likely to fit better, unless you can identify a model-specific offering by one of the aftermarket guys. I bought a generic cover for "european style runabouts". Its OK for covering-up to keep rain or dew out, if left outside at night, but not as a mooring cover.

Think hard about mooring. Am assuming you are new to inboards, though maybe not. A few critical things. Shaft seal must be in good order. It should leak a drip or two per minute for shaft lubrication and cooling. (Over time, it can start running like a faucet, so check frequently when operating it on weekends.) Bilge pump and battery must be working. Cause the thing will fill-up with water and can essentially sink if moored and not able to pump itself out. I would put the boat on a lift or submerged trailer-like bunks at my dock, or put it on the trailer between uses if at all possible instead of mooring.

Lastly, especially if covering, be certain to address any inkling of a fuel drip into the bilge.

lowdrag
01-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Dang, I thought I was the only one out there that got the Chia Pet cover option. Was going to see if it would increase the value when I trade for the new boat.

tys_kanga
01-13-2006, 09:34 AM
thanks for the great info catdog. However the boat will not be stored in the water. Dry stacking is a common thing around my parts and is a whole lot cheeper than leasing a covered slip($350-600 per month). It is a huge storage buliding with boats stacked 3-5 high. You call 1hr. before you want to go out and they take a massive fork lift and set your boat in the water. When your done just leave it at the dock, cover it up and they stack it back up for you. This is why I need a mooring cover instead of a trailerable cover. Where is the best place to find/down load a owners manual for my boat? I have been searching but can only fing the newer boats. thanks

Yellowmobius
01-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Does your boat have a tower?

tys_kanga
01-13-2006, 10:06 AM
No but i'm interested in getting one in the future.

Yellowmobius
01-13-2006, 10:10 AM
What do they do in dry stack with boats that have towers?

tys_kanga
01-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Just out of curiosity does yours have one and do you have speakers on it? Is the whole dual battery set-up needed?

Yellowmobius
01-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Yes I do and I run off one battery.
I always have one of those $40.00 jumper packs on the boat just in case.
It has saved me a few times.

tys_kanga
01-13-2006, 10:13 AM
I believe that your space is big enough to accomodate the tower. they put some pretty big boats in there.

tys_kanga
01-13-2006, 10:16 AM
so if I add a sub, amp and a couple of 5"or 5 1/4" I should be fine battery wise?

Yellowmobius
01-13-2006, 10:19 AM
I run a 10 sub, 6 - 6 inch Alpine speakers, 2- defcon kicker tower speakers and a huge 5 channel class D kicker amp, I forget the exact specs on the amp. It rocks!

tys_kanga
01-13-2006, 10:29 AM
sweet! Maybe I should go bigger. I sure my wife will love that. LOL!

Yellowmobius
01-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Mine does espically when the kids are with!

I know the home owners in the marinas love the boats with rockin tunes!
(yeah right)