PDA

View Full Version : Which boat to buy?

French
01-10-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm considering buying a new boat at the KC Boat Show this weekend. I have never owned a boat but was lucky to have a roommate in college that had a mastercraft.

I have heard of Moomba but really only started to research them the other day. My college roommate has a 2003 MC x-30 he will sell me for $40K and I also have another friend who has a 2003 Malibu 21' LSV he will sell me for $40K. Both of them have about 150 hours on them.

I'm thinking of the Mobius XLV as a starter boat for my family (myself, wife, 5 year old boy and 12 year old girl). It seems that it would have plenty of room for us and our friends.
I was also thninking of upgrading to the 325 engine over the 310.

Any thoughts on the Moomba vs the used boats I mentioned.

Thanks-
Doug French

qb12
01-10-2006, 01:58 PM
French, This is a question that always opens up a can of worms because everyone wants to think there boat is the best...... however you should be aware that this site, Moomba will give you very good feedback on their boats. I owned a Moomba and bought a Supra because of how good the quality is. I never had any mechanical problems with my Outback. It was a great boat.

Xtreme marine will be there. They are very good to work with. Ask for Rick and he should be able to help you out.

By the way the closest Mastercraft dealer is in Wichita, (i think)

Good luck.

qb12
01-10-2006, 02:10 PM
French, I forgot to tell you that Xtreme Marine has a 05 XLV (new) loaded for a good price.

And as Ed said, WELCOME...

Smrtz
01-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Hi French, and welcome..

Funny I went through the same thing as you are going through now last year. Looking at Mastercraft, and Malibu used before I investigated Moomba.

Now I have my 05 Outback, best purchase I ever made. There is no feeling like getting a brand new boat and putting those first 20 hrs on it. Knowing the complete history right from day one, and paying less doesnt always mean compromising quality!

French
01-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Ed-

Never been in the armed forces.

Thanks for your info.

I have requested info and pricing on the 2005 from Extreme Marine.

qb12
01-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Doug,

Tell Rick that I sent you. He is great.

Doug, t-town

01-10-2006, 10:04 PM
qb12 -

Did you buy a boat from extreme marine?

kcsideways
01-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Doug:
I do have a loaded '05 Mobius XLV still available. Call me at 913.599.1992 or send an e-mail to [email protected] and I'll get pricing and options specs to you. The show in KC this weekend is a Bartle Hall in downtown KCMO and runs Thursday afternoon thru Sunday. Look forward to hearing from you and seeing you there!

Insurance and qb:
Thank you guys for sharing the kind words...I really appreciate it.

Insurance, I did receive your e-mail and have service looking into it...we have just been extremely busy with the two shows in KC back-to-back.

Rick Bailey

Rock Laubster
01-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey Doug,

This is Jeff Laube. I think I met you through one of the Lyman's parties
over a past summer.

I picked up an '06 Moomba Outback V from Xtreme Marine at the end
of the summer. It's similar to the Mobious, slightly smaller but I believe
it's going to be perfect for my family ( 3 boys - 8,5,1 ). We only got to
use it a couple weekends before having to winterize, so we're anxiously
awaiting the end of a winter that already seems like it's been too long.

Overall the buying experience was great with Xtreme Marine. There were
a couple items we were told were included that we found out after the fact
were not ( boat cover, spare tire for trailer ), but the mistake was honest
and wouldn't keep me from dealing with Xtreme Marine down the road.

If you were interested in talking more, let me know.

Jeff

qb12
01-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Doug, Make sure you do upgrade to the 325 epi over the 310 carb. You will enjoy it more. Not that I ever had any problems with the 310 carb but you can tell a difference.

Rick, Just let me know what you find out. I sent you a pm.

Doug

French
01-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Rock Laubster (Jeff)

Would like to talk to you. How can I reach you?

my email is [email protected]

Thanks

Sandmoose
01-20-2006, 10:36 PM
I am in the same position. I am leaning toward the XLV. It's a lot of $$$ but we need some space. My 3 boys are getting bigger and will soon be bringing friends. I will have to sell our Regal bowrider.

Ian Brantford
01-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi Doug. Any of the boats that you are considering will probably do very well for 5 years or so. I say that based on the age of your children. I have a 2005 XLV, and test drove a 2005 LSV first. The XLV's wake is both bigger and wider than the LSV, especially at lower speeds (12-16 MPH). So, though it provides "doubt removal" regarding space and rising skill levels in growing children, they might have to use very short tow ropes in the XLV for some time.

Sandmoose, I was just about to reply to your message in the 'Impressions (long) of XLV: options, versus LSV, overall' thread. I'll give more detail there.

Ian

qb12
01-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey everyone, Doug French ended up purchasing a Supra 24 from what I heard.

db, t-town

French
01-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Your partially correct. I'm looking at a 2006 Sunsport 24v. Have not completed the transaction yet.

Was wondering if Skier's Choice allows tours of thier plants. I actually have a customer in Maryville, TN and just may have to make a trip to Maryville. Would be nice to take a tour and see how the boats are built, etc.

Anthony0005
01-21-2006, 09:45 PM
French:

I toured the Maryville plant back in October. I don't own a Moomba or Supra(looking to buy my first wakeboard boat) and it was a great experience. My contact there was a guy named Jay Warren and he was very helpful. The telephone numbers are 1-800-320-2779
865-983-9924. I just called one day and they asked me when I wanted to come. I'm actually thinking about taking my wife down to see the factory next month. Good Luck!

Buttafewcoe
01-22-2006, 05:03 AM
You definately want to get the Mrs. involved. Selling her (I don't mean "SELLING HER") for weekdays and weekends on the lake will make your life easier in the long run.
Of course, if you did 'sell her', you could afford more amenities.
That'd be up to you, and you didn't hear it from me.

B

smokedog2
01-22-2006, 10:30 AM
B,

Bad poster, bad, bad poster (LMAO).

Almost as bad as going to the YMCA pool Friday with a freshly burned Jimmy Buffett CD mix. A nice workout mix that the friendly lifeguard lets this guy play and the little blue haired ladies pool walking tolerate, mostly because this guy talks to them and no one else does.

Things go fine until up bops “Bank of Bad Habits” an old song, not always listened to but it has a good beat.

Ya gotta watch that Buffett. He slips of the reservation now & then.

SD2

Oh, if you wonder what this has to do with boats, you need a couple JB CDs.

And, I’ll let you know Monday if this particular nameless fool is banned.

Buttafewcoe
01-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Or a rousing rowdy verse of 'Let's Get Drunk And Screw' will get their cardio workout in. It's all about getting the heart rate up, right?
B

smokedog2
01-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Yea, I have a story about that song as well. It started at a little bar called Mr. Bills and a gal named Tara.

Skip it - I cannot do it justice in text.

SD2

Jimmy B and I go way back. The first time I told my wife I love her I was God's own drunk in the Floabama Bar saying I love you on the payphone. First in Florida, then back in Alabama – then back again.

What were we talking about?

Buttafewcoe
01-23-2006, 07:02 AM
Which boat to buy.......I bought a new '04 Outback, so my bed is made.
B

smokedog2
01-23-2006, 10:25 AM
yea but will you ever sell it?:p