PDA

View Full Version : Towing With An Explorer????

05mobiusxlv
01-10-2006, 01:47 AM
I only have to drive about 3 miles each way to the boat ramp. I have a new car, and need something cheap, that will get me bye. I'm looking at a 1995 Ford Explorer 4 wheel drive with a 4.0 6 cylinder. I will never need to pull it over 40mph. My dealer is about 2 miles away as well.

I do not want to spend big bucks on something bigger to go that short of a distance, and get horrible gas mileage, and drive around in something big the rest of the year. I need this Explorer to drive to work as well. It has a receiver hitch, and I'm planning on changing the tranny fluid, and maybe getting a tranny cooler. Anything else that I should do? Or is this a dumb idea?

Buttafewcoe
01-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Trailerboats.com has quite a complete database......here's what i found on the 1995 explorer....
Year Make Model Engine Tow Limit
1995 Ford Truck Explorer Two-Door 4 x 2 4.0 V-6 5000
Requires 3.73:1 axle ratio.
Requires automatic transmission.
Requires weight-distributing hitch.
Requires Trailer Towing Package.
A higher tow rating is listed for pickups that tow fifth-wheel trailers

1995 Ford Truck Explorer Two-Door 4 x 4 4.0 V-6 4800

1995 Ford Truck Explorer Four-Door 4x4 4.0 V-6 5000
Hope this helps
B

lowdrag
01-10-2006, 03:47 PM
I've got an '02 Ranger with a pretty much identical setup. Pulls my boat with no problems whatsoever. The biggest difference in any Ranger/Explorer that is pre '02 will be the engine. In '02 they went from an OHV 4.0 to an SOHC 4.0 that made a difference in towing capabilities. They also upgraded to a 5 speed automatic transmission. Definitely stay away from the manual from towing. If you look, the manual trans just isn't built tough enough and will significantly reduce towing capabilities.

With the XLV fully loaded with fuel and gear, you'll probably be below the tow rating weights that Buttafewcoe posted, but you'll be in that gray area where there isn't the safety margin that a lot of people like in their tow vehicles. If you only pull it the distances you gave, you shouldn't have any problems. However, if you end up taking it on vacation with the family for a long drive, you'll find yourself wanting something better suited for the job.

Shoemaker Mobius
01-10-2006, 04:22 PM
We tow our 2004 Mobius LSV with a 2002 Explorer, rear wheel drive, 6-cyl engine. We only need to tow about 5 miles one way and you can definitely feel the boat behind you, but we have never had any problems.

05mobiusxlv
01-11-2006, 01:29 AM
Thanks so much for that info. I bought it today. Hopefully it will get the job done. I don't know what the trailer weights, but the boat is 3,600 lbs. plus gas and gear. So I will be dang close to that 5,000 max. I went straight to the Ford dealer, and had them replace the tranny fluid. They said an external tranny cooler was about $150. Should I do it? Even if i'm only going a small distance, it would be a little security. MAYBE if it seems to pull all right, and I had the cooler, I would consider taking it to a local lake about 40 miles away. But that would only be once or twice in a year.

I had a 01 Sea Ray (18 foot) (single axel trailer) before the XLV, and even though the XLV is twice as big, it seemed to pull about the same. What a difference having a tandem trailer makes.

Right now the Explorer has a 4 prong harness for the lights, so I need to hook up the 5 prong harness for the trailer brakes. Does anyone know where that 5th wire (blue) gets connected to?

Thanks again for taking the time to find that information for me.

Buttafewcoe
01-11-2006, 05:08 AM
The 5th wire connects to the back up light system on the tow vehicle. When the back ups come on, the blue wire is energized, disengaging the brake system on the trailer so's youz can back up.
B

lowdrag
01-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Tranny cooler should be no big deal if you're a fairly competent do it yourselfer. You can probably get a kit from Autozone for less than $100. It's never a bad thing to have as transmission life has a lot to do with heat.

There's an easy fix for the fifth wire that I've done on both of my trucks. Just pull out the tail light assembly. Cut the wire for the reverse light and splice in a length of wire that you can run down to the plug. Cut the existing 4 prong plug off and wire in the new 5 prong. I usually go one step further and install one of the 7 prong round receptacles that you can buy at any autoparts store. They're a little more standard if you decide to pull anything else in the future and you can always find adaptors that will go from the 7 prong to about any other application. The one that I use even has a 4 prong receptacle right next to the 7 prong.

Yellowmobius
01-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Jason,

Glen's welding and trailer sales has the flat 5 connectors.
They are located past Gibbions Fiberglass.

speakersox.co
01-11-2006, 09:01 PM
I own an '03 Explorer with the V-8. I think it is under powered and sometime this spring I'm going to sell it. I do have to tow through hills and the nearest lake is 22 miles away. It is just nice to have plenty of power when you are climbing hills or have to take some type of evasive action.

Buttafewcoe
01-12-2006, 07:53 AM
As far as that 5-pin is concerned..........I got a packet of paperwork with me '04 when I bought it. In it was a 5-pin for use on the tow vehicle. Or I guess it was for the tow vehicle as the trailer was already equipped w/ one. Anyway, I did have to wire it up, but did not have to buy anything. Like old boy there, I spliced into the backup lighting system.
Hope this helps
B

05mobiusxlv
01-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks Butta, I took out my packet of paperwork, and that 5-pin harness was in with the trailer paperwork. My Explorer has a 4 prong now, so all i need to do is splice into the reverse lights. All the other wires are the same color. Thanks for the help.