PDA

View Full Version : rev10's on a 2012 mojo

pdx 12mojo
05-04-2013, 07:53 PM
hey guys, i just got my new 2012 mojo and i would like some advice on tower speakers. My speaker of choice would be a pair of rev10's. the only thing that concerns me is how to mount them on the tower without slamming my head into them every time i stand up? do any of you have these speakers on your tower? how did you mount them to keep them out of the way as much as possible? if anyone has some pics i would really like to see.

mmandley
05-04-2013, 08:25 PM
hey guys, i just got my new 2012 mojo and i would like some advice on tower speakers. My speaker of choice would be a pair of rev10's. the only thing that concerns me is how to mount them on the tower without slamming my head into them every time i stand up? do any of you have these speakers on your tower? how did you mount them to keep them out of the way as much as possible? if anyone has some pics i would really like to see.

Welcome to the Forum, PDX? As in Portland Oregon? If so which Mojo did you buy from AWS?
I can give you a few ideas, my Tower is a Skylon, but i have EM9s which are very similar in Spreaker case size, they might be slightly smaller, im not positive but they are pretty close. I bang my head all the time on my speakers LOL.

The best way to get them out of your way is to mount 1 pair on the front tube top and 1 pair lower on the back tube. This way they are off to the sides.

I have 3 pairs but you get the idea.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Moomba%20Mojo/20130226_110757_zps43c84ded.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Moomba%20Mojo/20130226_110757_zps43c84ded.jpg.html)

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Moomba%20Mojo/20130226_110826_zps00cc89d3.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Moomba%20Mojo/20130226_110826_zps00cc89d3.jpg.html)

wolfeman131
05-05-2013, 12:40 AM
Not my boat, but a good example

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q491/chrisgepfert/205.jpg

pdx 12mojo
05-05-2013, 01:32 AM
Yup, im from portland and got it from aws. Its the black and white one they used on there lake for the ski school. It was the only one they had left for the year.

Thats alot of speakers you have on that tower. It must really scream!!! Is your tower the same height as mine? Im pretty sure I would knock myself out daily trying to walk under those suckers.

pdx 12mojo
05-05-2013, 01:37 AM
Hey wolfman thanks for the reply. I think that speaker placement might be just what im looking for. Do you know if those are the rev10's? They dont seem to be in the way at all.

rdlangston13
05-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Hey wolfman thanks for the reply. I think that speaker placement might be just what im looking for. Do you know if those are the rev10's? They dont seem to be in the way at all.

Those are def NOT rev 10a. Those look like some 6.5" coaxial speakers. Rev10s are silly big.

Sent from my iPhone

wolfeman131
05-05-2013, 08:27 AM
David's correct, those aren't Rev 10's. Its not my boat, so not 100% on this, but I think those are Kicker HCLD's.

jmvotto
05-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Those are the kicker hlcd combo, I think km6500's
i have four xm9s mounted like that its on a v2, but you should be able to get it arranged on the oz like the above pic.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/jmvotto/c9dfc0d1.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/jmvotto/media/c9dfc0d1.jpg.html)

wolfeman131
05-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Don't forget about the Rev 8's or the Icon 8's.

jmvotto
05-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Sorry to hijack. Drew I saw the supreme pic on FB, looks like they bought the V2 tower molds?

wolfeman131
05-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Not sure, but I think they have used a tower like that for a few yrs now.

mmandley
05-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Yup, im from portland and got it from aws. Its the black and white one they used on there lake for the ski school. It was the only one they had left for the year.

Thats alot of speakers you have on that tower. It must really scream!!! Is your tower the same height as mine? Im pretty sure I would knock myself out daily trying to walk under those suckers.

Sweet i know the boat your talking about, was curious who got it. Yes you would rack your noggin on mine as well but its the closest to 10s on a mojo right now. I left the center open for walk way access, yes the tower is the same height.

The point is to just see how they are staggered, its the best way to keep them out of the way and have walk-though room.

EarmarkMarine
05-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Before we introduce other brands and products into the discussion, it would be hard to compare a Rev10 pod to the pods from other brands.
The Rev10 is a 10-inch speaker as compared to the XM9 which is a 8-inch speaker. However, the XM9 has a short depth but wide pod proportionally. So there is not that much pod diameter difference as would be expected with the speaker size difference. The Rev10 is substantially deeper but adds little pod diameter beyond what is required to facilitate a 10" driver.
The Rev8 fits the XM9 8-inch class based on cone area (within 5/16" of one another), and has an equivalent pod displacement. however, the Rev8 is proportionally much deeper with a much smaller pod width.
The 10" Rev10 is definitely the way to go IMO, as it gives you two/thirds more surface area than an 8" and 75% the surface area of twice as many 8". Not to mention that the 10" and larger pod deliver deeper midbass extension.
If you are going to run a pair of Wetsounds Rev10s at the radius, corner of the tower, or a more vertical (but leaning) portion of the tower, you will want to get the Wetsounds swivel collars.

David

rdlangston13
05-05-2013, 04:30 PM
If you really want a head knocker hang a rev410 in the middle

Sent from my iPhone

Brianinpdx
05-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Before we introduce other brands and products into the discussion, it would be hard to compare a Rev10 pod to the pods from other brands.
David

David- Isnt that what your doing? Adding other brand to the discussion? Please stop posting inaccurate facts about Exile XM9. It is not an 8" speaker by cone area, or basket or or features or anything of the like. It's not a "Class" It's it's entirely its own animal. XM9 has no traditional basket.... It's design molds the basket assembly into the tool. And you know thats why its very different. You know this but dont mention it. If you want me to post photos, I can. But please.. just stop. It's not a Rev8. It's not a Rev10. It's a different offering from an entirely different company with very different features..that you just injected into this thread.

-Brian
Exile Audio

jstenger
05-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Here is a pic of my neighbor's Malibu VLX. We put a pair of Rev 10's on it over the winter. I had my wife, who is 5' 5", stand in the boat for height comparison. I know it's not a Moomba, but it may be close in size. I believe that the tower shape may be similar also. As you can see, the speakers were mounted on the side near the top using swivel mounts. I know that guys are putting 4 to 6 speakers on their towers which is cool, but as far as I am concerned, the sound of just two of these is incredible. I wanted to get a straight on pic, but this was the only shot that I could get where the sun wasn't in the pic. Hope it helps.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd382/Joestenger/2013-05-05163119.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Joestenger/media/2013-05-05163119.jpg.html)

pdx 12mojo
05-05-2013, 07:11 PM
If you really want a head knocker hang a rev410 in the middle

Sent from my iPhone
I would love to but my wife might kill me:cool:

EarmarkMarine
05-05-2013, 07:30 PM
David- Isnt that what your doing? Adding other brand to the discussion? Please stop posting inaccurate facts about Exile XM9. It is not an 8" speaker by cone area, or basket or or features or anything of the like. It's not a "Class" It's it's entirely its own animal. XM9 has no traditional basket.... It's design molds the basket assembly into the tool. And you know thats why its very different. You know this but dont mention it. If you want me to post photos, I can. But please.. just stop. It's not a Rev8. It's not a Rev10. It's a different offering from an entirely different company with very different features..that you just injected into this thread.

-Brian
Exile Audio

Sorry Brian, but I am not the one who introduced the Exile XM9 into a thread titled Wetsounds Rev10.
I can also post photos to prove that any statement I made is accurate.
An XM7 is a 6.5" speaker and an XM9 is an 8" speaker. The model numbers could be construed as a bit deceptive.
A unique basket mold has absolutely nothing to do with the speaker class according to an entire industry including automotive, home, pro audio or other. You can represent the speaker to be anything that you want and I can dispute it with objective facts. Here are the facts.
The size classification of a speaker is determined by one industry spec, which is a) the 'Sd' which is b) determined by the effective surface area, which is c) determined by the diameter from the center peak of the surround to the center peak of the surround. There is only one standard and it's a universal industry standard. Plus, there are a number of true 8-inch prominent name brand speakers that are categorized as an 8-inch that have a larger 'Sd' than the Exile XM9. The JL Audio 8W7 is just one example. I'm certain that JL Audio is considered credible by all in the industry.

David

pdx 12mojo
05-05-2013, 07:37 PM
David, what would the benefit of the swivel mount be if I mount them in the arch or side of the tower? Also, do they have quick disconnect nkw?

MLA
05-05-2013, 07:52 PM

-Brian
Exile Audio

Ive seen your XM9 and another 8" HLCD out of the pods and side by side, and I hate to tell you, your XM9 is an 8" speaker that measures 8.375". Thats a fact because you posted those dimensions right here on this Moomba owners forum yourself, so you cant call me a liar on this one this time, Brian.

MLA
05-05-2013, 07:56 PM
David, what would the benefit of the swivel mount be if I mount them in the arch or side of the tower? Also, do they have quick disconnect nkw?

When a tower has a lot of arch or the pods will be mounted on a vertical tube, a swivel mount will allow you to compensate for that arch so you can point the speaker in the optimal direction. I fixed clamp will limit you to only tilting the speaker up or down, but not in or out.

KG's Supra24
05-05-2013, 08:02 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/06/gyse8aha.jpg

Rev10s on a buddies 23lsv. Not the same tower but an example. Not sure if swivel clamps were used.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

EarmarkMarine
05-05-2013, 08:22 PM

MLA answered your question but I'll add just a touch of detail. On a forward leaning vertical tubular tower a fixed clamp would have the speakers pointing a bit upward. However, a swivel clamp will allow you to position the speaker centerline level with the water. Or, the swivel collar will allow you to aim the speaker upwards slightly when the boat is pulling and squatted so they are directed more to the rider and above the head of the cockpit rear seat occupants.
In contrast, if the horizontal tower bar has a profound front to rear radius/arc (more forward in the center) then the speakers could toe in a bit. The swivel collar can correct this also.
In the outside corners of a forward leaning tubular tower you could conceivably have a combination of both issues that can be resolved by a swivel collar.
A cast/flat tower will typically have mounting nutserts in a position that is true level and already corrects for the forward lean. Mounting to a horizontal and straight crossbar will also need no correction. So either of these will work fine with a fixed clamp.
On the other matter, yes, the Wetsounds swivel collars will also allow you to rotate the speakers front to rear and offer a complete quick-disconnect. Wetsounds has also smartly engineered a safety fork into their swivel/quick-disconnect collar.

David

jmvotto
05-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Wow. WTF. The op asked about original placement and size. The forum members post relevance in the only comparative they have.. Nobody on here yet has Rev 10 on a Oz tower, nor Rev 8. So we posted the closest thing available.
Nobody tried to sway him to another brand.

David , I would assume you have lots on Rev10 installs on mojos already , so a pic would suffice, instead of the repeated dissertation on brand wars...

MLA
05-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Joe, I dont see any dissertation on brand wars. The OP did ask about one particular pod on his tower and a couple commented on their use of another brand speaker of a similar size. Davids post put the two different pods into perspective for the OP. His statements are true and accurate.

jmvotto
05-05-2013, 09:35 PM
The comments were limited to speaker configuration on similar style towers on a mojo oz tower , since no one has was the op requested, I guess no one should have tried to help out the op with JUST pictures. Seriously?

rdlangston13
05-05-2013, 10:15 PM
I tend to agree with jmvotto here. David's post accusing others of beig off topic was completely unnecessary. No one was suggestion the OP buy something other than what he was asking about, they were only trying to help by giving him as much info as they have. No one pushed any other brand until David started his Exile Bashing

Sent from my iPhone

MLA
05-05-2013, 10:24 PM
I tend to agree with jmvotto here. David's post accusing others of beig off topic was completely unnecessary. No one was suggestion the OP buy something other than what he was asking about, they were only trying to help by giving him as much info as they have. No one pushed any other brand until David started his Exile Bashing

Sent from my iPhone

So calling an 8" speaker an 8" speaker is bashing? Even when it true and factual?

E4NASH
05-05-2013, 10:35 PM
OMG...break out the popcorn...another speaker battle! All the Exile guys banding together against the Wetsounds guys...Jeez...so lame...

Hate to break it to ya but this thread specifically referenced the REV10 and since the XM9 are "a totally different animal" they probably shouldn't even have been referenced outside of showing different ways to mount large speakers. No one asked for specs of or referrals to them.

FWIW I LOVE my REV10s and they will look and sound AMAZING however you hang 'em

Post on..

04OUTBACK
05-05-2013, 10:42 PM
I'm in for the movie

rdlangston13
05-05-2013, 10:45 PM
So calling an 8" speaker an 8" speaker is bashing? Even when it true and factual?

No it's not, but when it's done to purposely harm another brand especially when no one even asked then yes it is. The fact is not bashing, the way it was presented in this thread however is. No ONE was pushing xm9s on this thread, David's comments were completely unnecessary, he should have just posted about how the Rev10s fit since he has experience with them. Many on here do not so they post about the closest timing they have experience with which is an XM9. They were NOT trying to sell the OP a speaker

Sent from my iPhone

wolfeman131
05-05-2013, 10:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/FlyerTom/Forum%20Uploads/Panties-in-a-bunch.jpg

Buy the Rev 10's. You'll love them. If you find you don't have the headroom you want, switch out to Rev 8's. Don't worry about what to do with the 10's, I'll take off your hands for at least a Benjamin for them.

jmvotto
05-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Drew, how come your kicker post didn't get ripped to shreds by the stereo gods, Hmmm I wonder:confused:

ps you love the rev 10 but don't hang in in the middle otherwise you clonk you head!!

Movie? this has gone beyond trilogy, OMG

sgoyal
05-05-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm in for the movie

I think I've watched this movie before.. :cool:

pdx 12mojo
05-05-2013, 11:50 PM
I think I've watched this movie before.. :cool:

I think the next time I ask for help with mounting locations I will leave the brand out of it...:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help though. I think I have made up my mind

jmvotto
05-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Pdx, you did nothing wrong by asking your question, for some reason these brands ALWAYS derail a thread by the same culprits, not only on this forum either. It's too bad when members are trying to help out others and it turns into a trilogy.

post pics when you have those big cannons mounted... I hear they scream!!!

jstenger
05-06-2013, 07:47 AM
You could always make some cardboard circles or tubes that are the size of the rev 10's. Tape them to different parts of the tower to see how they look.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk 2

sandm
05-06-2013, 08:10 AM
I think the next time I ask for help with mounting locations I will leave the brand out of it...:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help though. I think I have made up my mind

anytime you mention exile or ws, you will get this same banter. just come in with thick skin and wade through the poop :) lots of guys passionate about what the sell/do for a living and at the end of the day, we are pretty lucky to have them all posting on here. I know I've learned a lot from mike/phil/dave/brian over the years..

post pics up with whatever you hang. I've heard a set of rev10's and they flat out rock..

C.Hern5972
05-08-2013, 02:12 PM
ive got 4 rev 8. ill post pics later today

C.Hern5972
05-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Well i tried posting a couple pics but it wont let me. Someone send me a addy and ill send you pics to post. I have 4 rev 8 wetsounds and the circumference is not that much greater. Hope this can help.

beat taco
05-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Well i tried posting a couple pics but it wont let me. Someone send me a addy and ill send you pics to post. I have 4 rev 8 wetsounds and the circumference is not that much greater. Hope this can help.

PM sent. Let see it!

brain_rinse
05-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Go to tinypic.com and upload your photos. Copy the links that have [img ] tags and paste here.

C.Hern5972
05-08-2013, 03:24 PM
I sent them to wolf, he should post shortly

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/d761b88f43ab2edb4e105f5ec2a764ac.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/ff36faa62fc19d38617db6fecf3f2792.jpg

chawk610
05-08-2013, 05:51 PM
so, uh, I shouldn't mention the 6.5" roswells on my '08 DD? :)

Clamcakes
05-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Some Rev10s on a LSV.

C.Hern5972
05-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Hope those help

beat taco
05-08-2013, 08:30 PM

I say post 'em if you got 'em!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/epu8avuh.jpg

jmvotto
05-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Chris H.

Love that setup, bet those sound great on the water. I like the new look of the Rev 8 over the pro 80s

jmvotto
05-08-2013, 09:01 PM

cmon chawk, post them.....

Clamcakes
05-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Heres my setup lit up

C.Hern5972
05-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Chris H.

Love that setup, bet those sound great on the water. I like the new look of the Rev 8 over the pro 80s

Thanks bro,
Thing with these Rev8- they are LOUD, sometimes overpowering everything else. I like clarity and cleanliness when listening to music, It takes tweaking with them an tuning to get them sounding right. I've got some other plans working right now on a system. Right now It sounds good but it could be better. I'm short, so I seperated the pair and left a spot to walk thru. Only thing you can do. Also the swivel clamps are a must when putting speakers on this tower.

wolfeman131
05-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Found this on fb. Awesome looking Mojo hanging Rev 10's.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/b1281ae19cf1b06f8c8cfaffbcf5dca0.jpg

E4NASH
05-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Yeah I saw this too...SO SICK!

pdx 12mojo
05-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Im liking that one

Sent from my galaxy note 2 using Tapatalk 2