PDA

View Full Version : Starter / Solenoid Question

Jayrodau
05-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Can just the starter solenoid be replaced on 2005 moomba LSV? Our boat has started clicking and wont turn until like the 4-5th turn key. What is the model number of the solenoid? I know it is a 4-wire setup.
Does anyone have any pics of it? Our boat is kept in storage an hour away and it will save me a trip:D

Thanks!

maxpower220
05-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Yes, I had to have mine replace on my starter. Fortunately, there is an electric shop that had the part in stock. I think it was around $35 installed. Lots cheaper than a new starter.

Jayrodau
05-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Went to lake this afternoon with bad news. Boat would not start. After like 10 turn keys the boat would try to turn over but wouldn't start. I am thinking either the solenoid is shot or the starter itself. Should I take the boat to
a mechanic, try just replacing the solenoid myself, or just replace the entire starter myself? I am kinda indecisive on how to approach the issue.

maxpower220
05-19-2013, 09:39 PM
In my experience, when the solenoid goes out, the starter doesn't turn over. You may get "clicks" like a weak battery. I prefer having a marine starter and I had a difficult time finding one other than the boat shop for over $250. There are only 2 bolts holding the starter in and a few wires to remove. Take a photo so you know where they go. I think it took me 10 minutes max to remove the starter, Probably 5 minutes to re-install.

Having your starter repaired ensures proper fitment and you don't have to worry about shimming in the starter if it is a replacement. I have found repairs are much cheaper than a new starter. You may not have electric shops around and it may be difficult to have it repaired.

Jayrodau
05-19-2013, 09:44 PM
So you are suggesting I just replace/rebuild the starter rather than trying to just replace the solenoid first?
http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2460

maxpower220
05-20-2013, 07:36 AM
The solenoid is attached to the starter (at least on my boat) and I had to remove the starter to access it. Also, I took the starter and all to the shop as I wasn't sure the problem was the solenoid.

YMMV.