PDA

View Full Version : Prop shaft coupler bolt????

Hillbilly
05-04-2013, 03:58 AM
I spent a good couple hours trying to get my prop shaft coupler bolt out and could not get it to loosen?

I was cranking on it both directions and al it was doing was torquing the shaft....When I pushed the shaft back up to put a couple bolts in to hold it now the coupler and tranny plate are about 1/4 inch offset....Did I bend my prop shaft trying to get the nut off?

I backed out the set screw but could not get the bolt to loosen....Is it a reverse rotation nut? Think its a bad idea to hit it with an air ratchet?
I'm replacing my dripless packing seal that was a steady stream. Think it could have gotten hot enough to "stick" the nut and coupler/shaft together.......HELP

Thanks guys
Hillbilly

Boonejeepin
05-04-2013, 09:03 AM
I was not able to separate the shaft and coupler in the boat.

I took out the entire shaft and took it to Elbert's (marine shaft shop). He got it loose in about a minute.

If you think your shaft is bent get it checked before you reattach.

kaneboats
05-04-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure how you would get it out with the coupler attached. I slid mine out the bottom after removing the coupler. I just can't remember how I held the shaft when I did it. Probably put a bolt back in and held it with a wrench on the bolt or something.

Boonejeepin
05-04-2013, 10:56 AM
I had to pull the v-drive to remove the shaft assembly. It was much easier than fighting the shaft in place for me.

Hillbilly
05-04-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm going to turn the shaft and see if the offset changes any as I turn the shaft and that should tell me right away if it's bent......Maybe it is out of alignment and that is what caused my seal to fail?
It was creeping up on midnight and after knuckle busting it for a few hours I packed it in for the night.
Maybe the bolt and shaft are seized together? If so any tips on freeing them? Heat or Ice!!!!!!

Thanks....

VA LSV
05-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Used this procedure when I installed my dripless seal and it worked great.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?3524-Drive-Shaft&highlight=removing+shaft

Hillbilly
05-05-2013, 01:46 AM
I got the nut off this evening then decided to pack it in for the night .......A few more steps and I will be 1/2 way done......lol

Hillbilly
05-05-2013, 08:39 PM
SUNOFABISCUIT.......Ended up pulling the v-drive......Now does anybody happen to know a model # for a new gasket??? LOL

This quickie job I thought I was going to do has turned into a huge fiasco!!!!!!

Going to hit up WestMarine Mon or Tues....I'm going to try and find a deeper nut for the coupler that thing is really shallow and got a bit worked over........

VA LSV
05-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Link has PDF instructions at the bottom of the page for A.R.E for the double taper shaft. Speciality tools available from elberts.com or skidim.co. Tight working quaters so remove everything you can to make more working room. Blocked the prop with wood and my shaft nut came loose without too much fuss. The coupler nut has a flange for the set screw to seat on.

http://www.elberts.com/system.htm

kaneboats
05-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Ah shoot, now I remember. Did Hillbilly know about the set screw. Once that's out and you block the prop it should come right off. Sorry I didn't remember that earlier.

Hillbilly
05-07-2013, 12:21 PM
I had removed the set screw it was just on there for so long I think it was a pain to get off.......But I got it!!!!!

After pulling the V drive there is a bunch of room...lol

Made my own gasket with a roll of material....it is a little bit thicker but that shouldn't be an issue....RIGHT???
My shaft and v drive plate are about 1/4 of an inch offset to the left so I am going to try and realign my engine.....Did I ever mention I'm not a mechanic....lol

wolfeman131
05-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Did I ever mention I'm not a mechanic....lol

I think you qualify as one now.

squeeg333
05-07-2013, 02:40 PM
How bad is pulling the v-drive on these things? I looked at doing that a few years back to replace the strut bushings, but ended up pulling the shaft out of the back of the boat. No issues really, just a bit of a pain with such tight quarters to work in.

kaneboats
05-08-2013, 11:10 AM
A dealer mechanic told me once it's easier to pull the v-drive than to loosen everything to get it out the back past the rudder. I had to loosen my strut to get enough clearance to slide it out the back.

squeeg333
05-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Kane, did you have to re-align your strut after you loosened it? When I pulled my prop shaft, I debated whether or not to loosen the strut. I was really hesitant and didn't end up having to in the end.

Boonejeepin
05-10-2013, 05:51 PM
If the strut is loosened it is likely to have move enough to warrant an alignment.

kaneboats
05-12-2013, 04:31 PM
I don't know how to re-align a strut. But, after I put mine back tight I had to re-align the engine. But that was after a shaft replacement and you'd have to do it anyway. Nice n straight now.