PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio Antenna

Rugburn
01-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Im interested in hearing from others that have installed satellite radio in their boat as to which antenna they used and where they installed it. Ive seen the one on my truck, its small, but I heard it wont work on the water (signal reflects off the water or something like that). Ive also seen the antenna that looks like a little igloo and the rod style. Any input would be appreciated as far as reliability with your particular antenna and installation location. Photos would be a huge bonus.

Wisconsin - still 3 months to open water...ack!

smokedog2
01-09-2006, 11:43 AM
IPOD, Radio transmitter & Jimmy Buffett. What else do you need.

SD2

Spring, we need spring!

Rugburn
01-09-2006, 01:08 PM
I have that as well, I just want the satellite option. Ive had a chance to listen to it in my truck for the last month or so and havent listened to a CD or standard radio since its install. Anybody else hear of the signal reflecting off the water? Can either antenna type be installed inside somewhere hidden from view and still get a signal?

NH Moomba
01-09-2006, 10:03 PM
My friend who does the design for several brands of Sirius told me that to install in an RV, the pros usually put a piece of foil backed adhesive foam on the inside of the roof under the antenna. Evidently the antennas use the metal body as a sort of reflector and this helps with reception. I would think that the same would apply to a boat as they are both fiberglass. I was going to give it a try last fall but never got around to it - I just listen to NPR anyways.

Andy

Smrtz
01-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Well when someone figures out what is needed to get it going and have it work well be sure to let us know. I chose the Ipod route at Xmas and passed on the sirrius until I knwo whats involved in the installation.

amonteroman
01-11-2006, 12:19 AM
I installed Sirius in my Outback, very simple, first make sure that the head unit is satellite ready, then get a satellite reciever available at Best Buy or similar store, that plugs into the the cd changer jack on the back of the head unit, and then get the Galaxy Low Profile Marine Antenna model #SRA-30, available at Overtons or possibly your local boat shop. I mounted mine next to the glove box, looks nice although I had to drill a hole. I get great reception everywhere.

Smrtz
01-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Based on your experience do you see any other way to install the antenna besides drilling a hole.

Buttafewcoe
01-11-2006, 02:00 PM
velcro w/ sticky back?

brianw21
01-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Here is my NO-Drill solution:

Buy the following: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-U0qHMdM1t9J/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=SIR-KEN1&i=607SIRKEN1

This is the part SIRKEN1 this is for kenwood radios (like the one in the 04-06 moomba's)

On my XLV there is a air intake just in front of the windshield on the radio side of the boat.

I passed the anteannea wire into the hole grabbed it from the storage locker, and attached it to the module. I then double sided taped the module to the bottom of the radio housing, and secured it again with some zip ties.

The anteanna mounts on the outside of the boat just in front of the air intake, wire goes into the air intake. No holes, and is totally reversible. Reception is fantastic.

SkiKY
01-13-2006, 05:26 PM
I second BrianW21's advice. I don't have the same radio module but I have the same low profile antenna mounted just in front of the air intake with double sided tape (with wire's through the intake) and my reception has never been a problem.

Rugburn
01-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Thats an interesting point you make about that little black low profile antenna. I heard from my uncle that he tried that same antenna and he got fade outs and bad reception. He thought it was reflection off the water. I like your idea of placing it in the air intake. Since that antenna is so cheap, its a good place to start and see if it works.

Thanks to everybody that gave their input, I appreciate it.

01-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I could never figure out why it was so expensive from the factory. I mean it's a $100 kit (SIRKEN1) and it includes an anteanna.

Why $350 from SC ?

I'm working on something else that I think will make XLV owners all excited!

Sharru-Kinu
02-27-2006, 01:57 PM
I've owned my boat for only 2 months, so maybe I'm no expert, but here's how I did the Sirius: I used the same low profile antenna that you guys have been talking about. I already had holes drilled from the storage area up to the top of the tower for my tower speakers so I just ran the antenna lead from the top of the tower back down into the storage area beneath the head unit. Duoble sided tape on the flat cross-member on top of the tower holds the antenna perfectly and the reception is exceptional.

So, that's my quazi no-drill option - the holes were already there from the tower speaker install. And no one can see the antenna or would ever know it was there.

Wolf-
03-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Sharru-Kinu
I've owned my boat for only 2 months, so maybe I'm no expert, but here's how I did the Sirius: I used the same low profile antenna that you guys have been talking about. I already had holes drilled from the storage area up to the top of the tower for my tower speakers so I just ran the antenna lead from the top of the tower back down into the storage area beneath the head unit. Duoble sided tape on the flat cross-member on top of the tower holds the antenna perfectly and the reception is exceptional.

So, that's my quazi no-drill option - the holes were already there from the tower speaker install. And no one can see the antenna or would ever know it was there.

Thats probably what I will end up doing.
We have DishNetwork at the house, and I've started leaving the Sirius music channel on during the day hoping to hook the wife before boating season starts. I don't travel much, so will probably do the pay as you go plan and only activate it during boating season.

Roachman
04-04-2006, 05:47 PM
I added XM to my truck and boat. I just purchased a Roady 2 that plays thru my FM channel. I think it sounds great and never skips like a CD. Instead of the small antenna you spoke of for your vehicle, purchase a marine XM antenna from ebay for about $60. The face plate for the XM attaches to a cell phone holder which is a small piece with adheisive. For the antena I went to Home depot and bought 4 small suction cup and screwed them into my antenna. It works great and has never come off.

Brian Raymond
04-04-2006, 10:43 PM
For first time subscribers of Sirius, I believe the first 12 mos. are free. That means if you use your boat for 3 mos. have the system turned on, and at the end of the season, cancel the subscription. you can then have it turned on the following season for another 3 mos. This will get you 4 yrs. of service. For the lucky ones who can use your boats longer, do the math. Verify with your dealer when purchasing a new system. Brian Raymond

Wolf-
04-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Brian Raymond
For first time subscribers of Sirius, I believe the first 12 mos. are free. That means if you use your boat for 3 mos. have the system turned on, and at the end of the season, cancel the subscription. you can then have it turned on the following season for another 3 mos. This will get you 4 yrs. of service. For the lucky ones who can use your boats longer, do the math. Verify with your dealer when purchasing a new system. Brian Raymond

oooooo.......interesting.

Rugburn
04-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Im a new Sirius subscriber and Im paying month to month. It wasnt offered free. Are you talking about when you buy a new car or boat with a Sirius radio already installed?