PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a boat in a slip...

mtbracr1
01-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Just bought an 05' Mobius. Since my boats before were all clunkers I never cared much about them, but the new Moomba is my baby so I have some questions for all who have kept their boat in a slip. What are the pros and cons of leaving a boat in a slip at the lake for the 8 month wakeboard season. I have been told that the bottom of the boat will get all nasty. Is this something that a good detail can take care of or does it cause permanent damage?

-Tyler

smokedog2
01-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Which lake?

Yes it will get nasty but they do make floating lift which rent at some lakes.

Yellowmobius
01-07-2006, 06:19 PM
I know there are many who keep there boat in a slip, I for one could never.
Boats cost WAY too much and I don't think I could sleep much with my boat in the water.
You mentioned the gunk on the bottom, that is one neagtive. Others are, do you have to worry about theft? Bad weather? Do you have to take equipment out every time? When my boat is not on the water it is in my garage. I can clean it any time or just tinker on it, basically I know it is as safe as I can make it. I know I am a little crazy about my boat but like you said it is my "baby" (actually I think I take better care of it than a baby"

I have a neighbor who keeps his boat in a slip and he is always trying to get me to put mine ina slip. It take him just as long as it take me to get in the water. I load coolers and equipment at my house, he drives to his slip and carries his stuff from his truck to his boat. The only thing he doesn't do is load and unload his boat, that takes me a few minutes.

One other thing, we don't live on the river so we would have to rent a slip just adding extra $$$$$ to the boating season.

As SD says "my 0.02$"

Later and enjoy your new boat!

05mobiusxlv
01-07-2006, 09:39 PM
I could not think of any pros. I could never, ever leave my boat in a slip. I would be embarrassed when the boat got on plane, and everyone could see the brown bottom on a new boat. I myself could not even handle my boat being outside.

My boat will not fit in any standard garage, so I rent a 12' by 40 foot storage unit 3 miles from the river, with 12 foot doors, i don't even have to take the tower down. Just back in, open the compartments to dry out, and your done. It's about $100 a month. Well worth it, i'm sure it will hold its value better, and be easier to sell with no fading paint, cleaner, and being able to tell people that it has never seen a night outside.

Another thing you would have to worry about is expensive stereo equipment. I have 6 tower speakers, 2 amps, cd/mp3 player, and subs that would cost thousands, and be a pain to replace. Plus expensive gear, wakeboard racks, and anything else that's not bolted down. It would also be a pain pulling all this equiptment off, and taking it with so it didn't get jacked. I also would have trouble sleeping, worrying about thieves.

Buttafewcoe
01-08-2006, 05:09 AM
mt...i don't believe you are even considering leaving it in a slip. for 8 months besides that!

jburnside
01-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Tyler,
Make sure if you do keep the boat in the water that you take it our to clean the hull and allow the gel coat to dry out every couple of weeks. Some boats can "blister" when left in the water for long periods of time, that's why most boaters will paint their hull with an anti-fouling paint if the boat stays in all the time.

I'm with the others, my boat stays in the garage until we get ready to go to the lake. If I were to ever leave it at the lake, it would have to be on a lift with a canopy.