PDA

View Full Version : what would be a good price on an 04 XLV?

Klewis34
04-29-2013, 01:35 AM
I would like to get opinions on a boat that I am looking to purchase. Here are the details from the listing:

For sale is my 2004 Moomba Mobius XLV
303 Engine hrs
All the options!!
Gravity 3 Ballast System (2 - 500lb bags in rear, 1100 lb in front)
Perfect Pass
Custom teak platform
Bimini top

One of a kind color scheme (these colors were only available to Supra's in 04)
Awesome stereo system - this thing screams
Pioneer indash - cd / ipod / sirius
12" kicker sub woofer
2 big amps (can't remember brand and pic isnt clear)
6 polk audio 6" speakers
4 Liquid Audio tower speakers / lights
All professionally installed by Best Buy
New trailer tires in 2011
Brand new towable cover in 2012

This thing is cleaner and better cared for than anything else in the price range
Professionally winterized / summarized every year
Always stored inside, never been rained on - seriously
Waxed twice per year
Washed after every single outing (my wife hated me for this)
I literally spent as much time cleaning it as i did using it

Also included are:
2 xtra 500 lb bags and tsunami pump (massive surf wave)
3 wakeboards all hyperlites
Hyperlite surfboard
2 "no stretch" wakeboard ropes
Wakesurf roap
WEGO KITE TUBE (thats right I still have one - and it's practically brand new)
Hundreds of $ worth of cleaning supplies
5 or 6 slalom skies
2 tubes
12 lifejackets
3 or 4 kids lifejackets

it wasn't mentioned in the listing anywhere, but it supposedly has the optional 340hp engine (is this an indmar monsoon or hammerhead). The boat is supposed to be immaculate inside and out. What would be a good price on the boat and trailer? I have yet to look at it since it's 650mi away but am willing to make the drive if it's the right boat.

We are looking for a boat with enough room to take several friends or family members out on the lake with us. We'll be primarily wakeboarding but if the boat that we end up with is set up to surf behind i'd like to try that out too. We also ski and tube on occasion. It will be used on a small lake for the most part but we do plan to go to beaver lake, ar a couple times a year.

Sorry for the long post but I value your opinions and hope to get some direction on finding the right boat for the right price. I'm in no hurry to make a purchase and would be willing to wait on a boat that is more suitable if this isn't a good match.

sandm
04-29-2013, 05:41 AM
I think you need to put up the price they are wanting out of the boat and then you will get more opinions on whether it looks like a good deal. it would also help if you had pics of the interior. just based on the info above, if it's in good shape, I'd think very high 20's to possibly 32? it's 9 years old. I see '06-08's for sale in the mid-high 30's all the time. condition will play the biggest part, but factor in it's the beginning of the season in a lot of areas and how motivated is the seller.. it would appear they are getting out of boating completely based on the gear they are selling with it so my guess would be pretty motivated to move it.

kaneboats
04-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Here's a good place to start:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats

Klewis34
04-29-2013, 09:15 AM
the price is $28K right now. I have checked NADA guides but a lot of times toys will vary from NADA depending on brand. I am not able to post pics but here is a link to the auction. I was not the highest bidder but was contacted after the auction. The first bidder wasn't able to afford the boat. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Moomba-Mobius-XLV-Wakeboard-Boat-Immaculate-23ft-V-Drive-/151029583521?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

chawk610
04-29-2013, 09:57 AM
It always trips me out when people don't know stuff like what kind of amps they have.

Klewis34
04-29-2013, 10:30 AM
I have checked NADA however they are not always accurate depending on the brand, condition etc. The owner is firm at $28K with the accessories or $27K without.

Klewis34
04-29-2013, 10:32 AM
It was on ebay but the high bidder wasn't able to pay for the boat so it didn't sell.
here is a link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Moomba-Mobius-XLV-Wakeboard-Boat-Immaculate-23ft-V-Drive-/151029583521?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

Stazi
04-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Seems like a good price to me.....

Riding23
04-29-2013, 10:57 AM
I would say 28K is a GREAT price for the boat if its actually in the condition he states! pretty low hours as well, like with any boat purchase I would get it checked out before and get out on the water and test it out!

Klewis34
04-29-2013, 11:35 AM
I would say 28K is a GREAT price for the boat if its actually in the condition he states! pretty low hours as well, like with any boat purchase I would get it checked out before and get out on the water and test it out!

Thanks for the input! He has mentioned that we will take it out on the lake and his service technician has already agreed to go along with us which will be very helpful. I tried to post a link to the listing but it keeps getting taken down; it must be against site rules. If so i apologize as i am still fairly green on the forum.

sandm
04-29-2013, 11:41 AM
if it's as clean as he states, take it at 27.5 with gear. sell off what you don't need on craigsl and get the price under 27k :) everyone says they are firm, but a buying customer may change his mind.

yz 2smoke
04-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the input! He has mentioned that we will take it out on the lake and his service technician has already agreed to go along with us which will be very helpful. I tried to post a link to the listing but it keeps getting taken down; it must be against site rules. If so i apologize as i am still fairly green on the forum.

I would bring my own tech, his tech could be his buddy and may not tell you everything.

Klewis34
04-29-2013, 12:31 PM
I would bring my own tech, his tech could be his buddy and may not tell you everything.

I've considered that as well. Unfortunately due to the distance i won't be able to bring my own technician along but i might check with a boat shop near his location to see what they would charge to inspect it.

jsly04XLV
04-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Keep posted on how the purchase goes. I'd be interested to see where the market is at the moment as new boat is always on the mind if my wife and I can see a decent return on our 04 XLV. I think 27-28 is where I'd probably expect to sell mine at even if I listed for higher.

kaneboats
04-29-2013, 03:49 PM
I tried to post a link to the listing but it keeps getting taken down; it must be against site rules. If so i apologize as i am still fairly green on the forum.

Your posts are there. You just have to have a few more posts under your belt before you can post links. I approved your earlier posts. Let me know if you can't see them or if the links don't work for you. Nice looking boat!

sgoyal
04-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Your posts are there. You just have to have a few more posts under your belt before you can post links. I approved your earlier posts. Let me know if you can't see them or if the links don't work for you. Nice looking boat!

Kane is the best if you are a new member. I had the same issue when I started posting and he helped me out so quickly...:cool:

Klewis34
04-29-2013, 06:13 PM

Thanks Kane! I really appreciate it

KG's Supra24
04-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Don't act up, though, now that you have been approved ... You don't want to see him angry.

brad460
04-29-2013, 07:27 PM
I've considered that as well. Unfortunately due to the distance i won't be able to bring my own technician along but i might check with a boat shop near his location to see what they would charge to inspect it.

I would not be overly worried, just use a little common sense..take it for a lake ride and make sure it comes up to temp okay and holds stable, watch the oil pressure make sure it holds good, listen to the engine for any ticks or tapping, check over the general condition, check the oil after the ride for milk..etc...you don't need to be a technician, just use common sense :)

Klewis34
04-30-2013, 12:22 AM
don't shoot me for asking this question but there is another boat that I am considering. It's an 05 mastercraft x-2 with 500 hrs for 28500. Condition is good overall but it does have a few stains on the sundeck which looks to be from the boat cover and would likely come out. It has the MCX engine and an aftermarket prop for low end. Although it's not nearly as large of a boat, it would be fine for most outings.
I am not too concerned about the wake; both will be excellent. I am most concerned with overall fit and finish as well as how well the boat will hold its value. What do you guys think?

Hoopskier
04-30-2013, 12:53 AM
I dont know to much about the specific differences in the boats. But more of a rule of thumb, Mastercraft will have more "bling" to it such as stiching on the seats, pieces of trim in aluminum or stainless steel, more/different electronics. Moomba is to a chevy as Mastercraft is a cadillac. For some people its a status symbol too.

Indmar manufactures alot of engines for different makes. I believe they are mostly the same with the exception of a different tune or intake, to make slightly more or less hp. Each boat brand gives it their own name, such as Monsoon, Assault, MCX.

I think you will notice there is a big difference in a 20' boat vs 23'. XLV is also 8" wider. Might be something to consider if you have garage limitations. But there is also never enough room on a boat, once you load it with people and their stuff along with the boat gear. Just some food for thought.

sandm
04-30-2013, 08:20 AM
what do you want to do? waterski and pull tubes, the x2 is a solid boat and will do so burning less gas than the xlv due to it's size/weight. wakeboard, both will be good, with the xlv taking more weight to get the wave, but there's more room for weight. surfing, xlv all day long. x2 is a good surfboat, but you can't beat length and beam of a boat to get a longer wave with more push..

as hoop mentioned and personally going from a 20ft to a 22ft boat, 20ft are nice boats especially if you have garage/lake limitations, but I don't regret for a minute going to a 22ft boat. even though we are typically a small crew(4-5), the added room and beam makes a world of difference...

kaneboats
04-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Kane is the best if you are a new member. I had the same issue when I started posting and he helped me out so quickly...:cool:

You're not a new member any more. Watch out! :o

Klewis34
04-30-2013, 12:01 PM
what do you want to do? waterski and pull tubes, the x2 is a solid boat and will do so burning less gas than the xlv due to it's size/weight. wakeboard, both will be good, with the xlv taking more weight to get the wave, but there's more room for weight. surfing, xlv all day long. x2 is a good surfboat, but you can't beat length and beam of a boat to get a longer wave with more push..

as hoop mentioned and personally going from a 20ft to a 22ft boat, 20ft are nice boats especially if you have garage/lake limitations, but I don't regret for a minute going to a 22ft boat. even though we are typically a small crew(4-5), the added room and beam makes a world of difference...

We're going to use the boat for wakeboarding (primarily) but also for skiing and tubing. I have yet to get into surfing since I have never been behind a boat that allowed me to and although fun it's not my main concern. we'll use it on a small lake for the most part and there won't be too many instances with more than 5-6 on the boat and it will be more common to have only 4 on it. I like the idea of having all kinds of extra room but it may not be totally necessary.

Stazi
04-30-2013, 03:34 PM
We're going to use the boat for wakeboarding (primarily) but also for skiing and tubing. I have yet to get into surfing since I have never been behind a boat that allowed me to and although fun it's not my main concern. we'll use it on a small lake for the most part and there won't be too many instances with more than 5-6 on the boat and it will be more common to have only 4 on it. I like the idea of having all kinds of extra room but it may not be totally necessary.
For the same money I'd get the XLV for sure. Buy once, cry once...