PDA

View Full Version : PFD storage ideas/solutions

z28ke
04-25-2013, 10:29 AM
It seems like space is always an issue on boats no matter the size, which has become worse since the addition of our son. Last season I instituted a one bag per female and no personal coolers rule to help accommodate the extra stuff associated with the baby. We usually have 6-8 adults on the boat per outing leaving storage limited.

On to the question: I'm going to add a bow ballast bag under the front seats, which is where I currently store the anchor and extra PFD's (the cheap orange ones) to stay legal. Do you guys have any advice on where/how to relocate these so they aren't constantly in the way? Does anyone make really small PFD's that store easily and are coast guard approved? We seem to get "safety checked" at least once or twice a season. Any help is appreciated!

bergermaister
04-25-2013, 10:55 AM
If you don't all wear them all the time or swim in them all the time you can probably get away with 2-3 vests that actually get worn. Then stow the others away in a compartment that is less accessible or used. I've found that, aside from the kids, we typically only use a few vests and just trade off for whoever is riding. The guys just swap, the girls just swap. That is considering you don't have a wide variety of "sizes of people" in your group.

I stash my "only pull these out when we get checked" jackets up under the gunnels on the edges up front or behind the seat backs.

sicktc06
04-25-2013, 11:17 AM
If you don't all wear them all the time or swim in them all the time you can probably get away with 2-3 vests that actually get worn. Then stow the others away in a compartment that is less accessible or used. I've found that, aside from the kids, we typically only use a few vests and just trade off for whoever is riding. The guys just swap, the girls just swap. That is considering you don't have a wide variety of "sizes of people" in your group.

I stash my "only pull these out when we get checked" jackets up under the gunnels on the edges up front or behind the seat backs.

Great information Berg!! But... in relations to this thread... What?! I don't think thats what he was looking for! hahaha!!

I haven't found anything different than the same PFD's your referring to. However, you can store some under the captains chair. You have to stuff them in from the compartment behind it (I'm going to catch grief on that statement!). Gets tedious to get to, but... it works!

bergermaister
04-25-2013, 11:32 AM
I answered part of it in between mixing my bloody mary's and scrambled eggs didn't I....?

What about the inflatable ones? I'd bet they would be pretty compact, but I think some of the fancier ones that self-inflate expire because of the CO2 canister.

rdlangston13
04-25-2013, 01:46 PM
i throw them in the rear lockers on top of the ballast bags. all personal items go behind the observer seat, shows go behind the driver and anchor under the driver seat

bergermaister
04-25-2013, 01:56 PM
i throw them in the rear lockers on top of the ballast bags. all personal items go behind the observer seat, shows go behind the driver and anchor under the driver seat

I thought the "shows" go on up on the sun deck when after you put up the pole for the dancers?

rdlangston13
04-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Shoes*****. Typo!

Sent from my iPhone

sicktc06
04-25-2013, 01:57 PM
I thought the "shows" go on up on the sun deck when after you put up the pole for the dancers?

It's an Instapole. Just add water.

wolfeman131
04-25-2013, 02:50 PM
I like going to the shoe show!

and, once again, a thread has gone horribly off track . . . .

zabooda
04-25-2013, 03:42 PM
The PFDs by law need to be easily accessable. You will probably get by with a warning if they are not. Just make sure the throwable is accessable.

jstenger
04-25-2013, 06:03 PM
On my OBV, I stick 2 ski vests behind the drivers seat. I make all the kids wear theirs. The spare adults store under the observer seat and on top of the batteries. Very easy to grab if needed.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk 2

NCSUmoomba
04-25-2013, 10:23 PM
What I do is to stuff a few in the bow area up between the inner and outer hull in my Outback. They are not "easily accessible" but they do get out of the way. I think I can fit about 5 up there, and can still fill my front ballast sacs.

rdlangston13
04-25-2013, 10:48 PM
we had a coast guard lady try to tell us that they ALL needed to be OUT at all times. talk about making a boat feel small when you have 6-8 adults and life jackets all over the floor

BensonWdby
04-25-2013, 11:35 PM
I think neoprene vests take up less space than the conventional orange horse collar so you might try a few of them.

Then I started thinking - come kind of zippered storage bag that would fit in the walkway of the open bow, an artificial 'playpen' area - killinig two birds with one stone.

I suppose if a guy was really clever you could devise a bag that hangs over the side to store the cheap ones in and then they double as dock bumpers??

moombahighrider
04-26-2013, 03:13 PM
I suppose if a guy was really clever you could devise a bag that hangs over the side to store the cheap ones in and then they double as dock bumpers??

That right there is a good idea!!!

z28ke
04-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the replies! I like the idea of using a bag of PFD's as a bow filler. I bought a bag holding 4 orange PFD's from overtons years ago that I tossed in the closed bow of my old Stars and Stripes MC, that I sold with the boat. I think I bought it from overtons. I'll look into that! I might cut the cooler out and stuff the port side with them? Thanks for the replies!

jmvotto
04-26-2013, 10:25 PM
I used the starboard side rear locker as we surfed regular with the obv,

With the xlv we have plenty of storage, so they are all over.