PDA

View Full Version : manta ray

motosno963
04-24-2013, 02:00 PM
anyone ever use the manta ray tube?..i know a tube haha..but im thinking about picking one up..if you have never seen one check em out there on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riZMc73lQtM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoBEtBkZh5A

mmandley
04-24-2013, 02:24 PM
WOW thats pretty crazy looking. IDK about wanting to go nearly 40 MPH to make that thing fly like that. At 20-25 the tube can hurt pretty bad on a crash LOL.

Looks like they are pulling of the tower as well.

KG's Supra24
04-24-2013, 02:27 PM
You can find reviews all over the web and you may see mixed reviews but pretty sure most are negative.

Doesn't seem worth the risk to me. Fwiw, they are banned on a lot of lakes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

motosno963
04-24-2013, 02:53 PM
thats what i was worried about..i want to get one for the lake but i dont know if its legal in the waters of NY haha

kaneboats
04-24-2013, 02:54 PM
It does look like fun but I know exactly who is going to get them where I like to ride. Ugggghhhh!

wolfeman131
04-24-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure you can even buy them new anymore. They used to also have one called the Kite from Sportscraft that my neighbors had. It would sail 20+ft and I saw folks drop from that high when they lost their grip. I believe they (although, not really sure who "they" is) outlawed those type of tubes. Maybe find one on ebay if you really want one.

motosno963
04-24-2013, 03:11 PM
there all over craigslist anywhere from 250$-1000$

tnbrooks01
04-24-2013, 03:21 PM
They are illegal on Oklahoma lakes due to multiple fatalities and serious injuries over the years.
I've never been in a boat with one but my understanding is you only go in a straight line while its in the air. That is when it gets uncontrollable. I have seen video of one climbing pretty high and the person on it lean too far to one side and it basically flipped over went straight into a nose dive and slammed back on the water on top of the rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpetty3023
04-24-2013, 03:56 PM
from a liability stand point I would not allow one of these to be hooked up to my boat. I can see someone begging for a ride then when something unfortunate happens being slapped with a lawsuit and or criminal charges

sent from my home phone

Hoopskier
04-24-2013, 03:57 PM
I had one for a about month. First off the thing is huge. If I remember correct, 8x12 feet. I actually had it before I had my boat. I pulled it with my Seadoo RXT. I never got the air the that some show in the videos. I doubt that I went fast enought but it takes some speed to get it to fly. It wasnt that the Seadoo didnt have the muscle, it surely could, but we didnt.

It has alot of drag too. By buddys boat, older runabout with a 70 hp outboard, could not even pull the tube to get it to plain out. Thus the use of the Seadoo. I always had concern my tow pylon on my Seadoo would rip off. I had to lean way over the handle bars on the start too; to help with pull.

If you do get one, tow of the back. You can probably always sell it for what you have into, should you change your mind. Might be able to make a few bucks, everyone on the lake will be looking and probably want to take a ride.

beat taco
04-24-2013, 04:22 PM
My buddy had one and my old ski boat with tower was the only thing any of us had that could get it airborne. It was so dangerous we gave it up. The wrecks were the most painful I've had on the water and we've tried some stupid stuff.

chawk610
04-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Never been on one but have seen vid after vid of spine cracking nose dives. It would be a no for me, but I want to see yall's vids if you get one! :)

motosno963
04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
i would love to get one and one of the first things i would get would be a helmet..i know i wouldnt do 40mph with this thing behind me due to the fact i dont want someone to destroy them self on it.. i know on the bay id probably get stopped by the sheriffs but i think if i it the lake i should be fine

sandm
04-24-2013, 06:06 PM
pass on that one.

it's a lot less painful to watch other people fail :)

motosno963
04-24-2013, 06:41 PM
i can only imagine the pain.. i went for a backflip last season on the board and landed on my back from like5-10 feet up and that sucked haha..i can only imagine from 35-40 haha

wolfeman131
04-24-2013, 09:19 PM
we've tried some stupid stuff.

That made me laugh!

Ian Brantford
04-24-2013, 09:28 PM
These things didn't last long on the market. It's not just the height of the fall. It's the fact that if it flips, you get a pile driver effect with the full weight of the thing coming down on you. The people who weren't killed suffered some pretty horrible injuries.

Stay away.

http://www.texastriallawyer.com/kite_tube_accidents/

jmvotto
04-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Moto, found this on yahoo, if this is correct, I thought they were illegal here, but I think most mfg stopped selling due to liability... One warning stated "don't fly higher than your willing to fall". Brilliant

Yahoo about kite tubes in NY.

Kite Tubes are not illegal anywhere. Period. There are some organizations that have outlawed the use of them on waterways that they control. The big two are the US Army Corps of Engineers and the National Park Service. Any body of water that is controlled by either of these two groups, has outlawed the use of Kite Tubes. If you are just on any old public lake (city controlled, USCG Waterway, International Waterway, etc) you are still allowed to use them.

If you do plan to use one on water controlled by either of the two groups mentioned above, most likely, they will just ask you to leave. Could they write you a ticket/fine, take the kite and impound the boat, probably, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

One thing to mention about using one behind a jet-ski... These kites create a lot of drag and require a lot of speed to fly, so you're probably going to need a pretty powerful jetski. The key to Kite Tubing... If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough!
3 years ago Report Abuse
Asker's Rating:Asker's Comment:
Thank you. And jetski's are pretty powerful, 2,000 CC is very fast.. and powerful.. Thanks for the tips though.

viking
04-24-2013, 11:11 PM
first time I saw the flying tubes was on an old show of Jackass or Nitro-Circus. Looked fun, but then look at the source. I don't think I'd do even 1/10th of what those crazies would try. And I'm an adrenaline junkie! Just getting older I guess?

bergermaister
04-25-2013, 09:08 AM
first time I saw the flying tubes was on an old show of Jackass or Nitro-Circus. Looked fun, but then look at the source. I don't think I'd do even 1/10th of what those crazies would try. And I'm an adrenaline junkie! Just getting older I guess?

And wiser.

I pulled a backflip on a tube (ok off of a tube - held on as long as I could) in really rough water back in my early 20's. Luckily I came down feet first but was up probably 10ft off the water according to my buddy. His wife was freaking out, ready to kill both of us if we didn't die on our own. Not something I'd want to try again.

motosno963
04-25-2013, 12:38 PM
yeaaa i dont know haha..it would be fun but i know my friends

wolfeman131
04-25-2013, 02:53 PM
I say get it and a gopro with a helmet mount.

motosno963
04-25-2013, 05:27 PM
i built a third person view mount for my gopro on a old dirtbike chest protecter.. but i dont know if i want the ray now haha..i know my friends will talk me into doing something dumb on it haha