PDA

View Full Version : IS Vs. Phase5

FargoDawg
04-21-2013, 09:18 PM
So I am going to get a new board for this season. My debate is Black Pearl or Razz. They seem to both be for my weight class. I have an Oogle and like it. I just want to try something different, anyone have advice here, or experience. Thanks in advance

wolfeman131
04-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Go with the Black Pearl just so you can see the difference between an IS and P5.

If you want to stay with P5, check out the Model X. It's a hybrid and you can change the ride characteristics with the size & location of fins.

muehlcj
04-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Wolfeman has a great point.

Both companies make great boards. I split my time last summer between a P-5 DD Pro Carbon (58”) and a IS Black Pearl. If you decide to go with P-5 I would recommend stepping up to the DD Pro or Diamond. That will keep you from wanting to “upgrade” in a couple months.

It looks like you are already considering going with a shorter board. Depending on rider size & weight, wave size, and skill I would also consider going from a 58” board to 54” maybe even a 52”. I did 80% of my riding behind a DD last year (my first year surfing) and I wouldn’t hesitate to go to a 54” board this year. I’m (6’-0” & 185-190lbs). 52” would put you on the KF Pro.

Just my .02.

brain_rinse
04-22-2013, 08:38 PM
I have a Razz and love it but have ridden an Oogle plenty and don't see a reason to have both of them. I'd go IS, like Drew said.