PDA

View Full Version : Go wakeboarding / surfing / whatever with Living Social

bergermaister
04-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Had this sent to me yesterday - pretty interesting.

https://m.livingsocial.com/cities/1757/deals/660374-wake-boarding-or-surfing-for-2-or-6?

$64/hr to take two people out for a while and you supply everything. Hmmmm. I would not want to go out where they are showing on the map though, right in the heart of downtown. Too busy and dirty.

sicktc06
04-12-2013, 09:44 AM
My friends and I have actually thought about doing something very similar to this here in Georgia. Maybe we should try it..

kaneboats
04-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Take a quick look at your insurance policy before you do.

sicktc06
04-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Take a quick look at your insurance policy before you do.

Good thinking. That could put the brakes on that idea quickly.. That is something i will do if we try it.

jmvotto
04-12-2013, 10:10 AM
My friends and I have actually thought about doing something very similar to this here in Georgia. Maybe we should try it..

I would set it up as a seperate business, which means extra costs.

they seem to have it setup as a business.

Boonejeepin
04-12-2013, 10:10 AM
I believe that Zach Schneider who used to work at AWS and is really good wakeboarder is associated with Wake Charter.

mmandley
04-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Saw this too and have thought about this as well, havnt taken the time to look into insurance but ive talked to a few people who say unless you have a steady client based the insurance alone can sink you.

sandm
04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't want to worry about unknowns on the boat. I know the crew and how they respect what I provide. last thing in the world I want showing up is the McSlob family making a mess every time you turn around and no expectation to clean up/wipe down afterwards..

Canuckle Head
04-12-2013, 03:50 PM
I think I may know the President of the company...... Oh yeah, he's my brother-in-law!

bbuhtz
04-15-2013, 11:56 AM
You would need a license to take paying passengers out legally. It's known as "passengers for hire" and you would at least need an Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV) license from the Coast Guard. To obtain that license you need 360 days logged sea time, DOT physical, Drug Test, First Aid... basically a bunch of stuff. The course for a OUPV License is usually $500-1200, depending where and who you get that from and is typically a 2 week course. I know this because I have my 100 Ton Master's and have been through it all and then some.

But... this is only if you want to be legal. And I say this because a lot of people get away with doing charter's under the table, but as soon as something happens, i.e. one of those "passengers for hire" gets hurt or what not, your insurance will not cover it and you will probably have legal issues along with it. Anyways, food for thought, hate to see one of you do this and have the worst case senerio happen.

Canuckle Head
04-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Wakecharter is 100% legit and meets the requirements stated above by bbuhtz.

NCSUmoomba
04-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Seems kind of cool, just expensive. I guess they are doing this as a business and trying to make money, and i'm sure those 23 LSV payments are pretty high. I wonder how they handle the "riding time" issue? If the rate is $60 per hour with a 2 hour minimum, and a maxiumum of 6 people, isn't that 12 hours of riding? and $720? Or do 6 people pay $120 for two hours, and each one get to ride for 20 minutes, so then the "riding rate" is actually $180 per hour? Hmmm... curious?

I teach first timers for free! And if they return I only need about $20 per hour of riding time to cover my fuel costs. Dammit! I'll never pay off the boat at this rate!