PDA

View Full Version : Moomba/Mobius LSV vs Centurion Elite/Lightning

fish6942
12-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Hello All,

New member looking for some opinions. I'm looking to upgrade my I/O to a v-drive. My time is split about 50/50 between slalom and wakeboarding.

I've pretty much got it narrowed down to the Elite V-drive (or the non-C4 Lightning) and the Moomba Outback LSV (or the same hull Mobius LSV). In this comparison, I'm not referring to the new '06 Mobius hull.

I'd appreciate any comments you may have regarding this comparison.

Thank you all!!

Yellowmobius
12-27-2005, 04:38 PM
I am sure opinions here will be a little biased towards the Moomba.

I am very happy with my 2004 LSV. I primarily wakeboard, however if I find GLASS I will dump the tanks, drop the wakeplate and throw the old HO VTX on for some carving.

The LSV have a nice slalom wake with the tanks empty and the wakeplate down.

In addition I like the looks of the Moomba's better. They have, what I consider, better color's and combinations. I think they are a more sporty looking boat.

The LSV is my 2nd Moomba. My first was a Mobius d-drive without the wakeplate.

fish6942
12-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Yellow - Thanks for the feedback. Is there anything you'd change about your '04 LSV?

Yellowmobius
12-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Not really, I like the towers they are installing on the 2006 models.
The boat is GREAT. I can load 10 people up, ballast tanks full and come right out of the water, with a VERY nice wake!

clark
12-28-2005, 04:49 PM
I have a 2005 Mobius LSV and absolutely love it. I have two boys,,, 17 and 20. One only wakeboards and the other splits his time between slalom and wakeboarding. The boat is great for both. Wake plate down with no ballast and you get a good slalom wake. Load up the bags, and you get a great wake for boarding. If you are buying new, to get the same boat, you must go for the Outback V. Hope this helps. I, like mosty of the others I read on this post do not want to spend $10K for the OTHER name brand boats.

GREAT BOAT.

Clark

fish6942
12-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks all for the responses. Just curious, but how big are the factory bags that come in the ski locker and rear compartments? Also, how long do they take to fill or drain? I'm really curious how long it takes to switch between skiing and boarding.

Yellowmobius
12-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Tough question, I think you could get 100 different answers, here is mine.

I am not sure on the weight of the factory rear, I "think" they are rated at 250lbs, feel free to correct me, anyone. I have replaced my factory bags with 2- 600lbs (rated) bags.
Front bag is either 600 lbs or 800 lbs...Anyone??

I usualy ski first thing, before any balast is filled. When I am done skiing we hit the fill and start getting the first boarder ready to go. We start boarding as soon as we are ready and let the bags continue to fill. So the first few cuts with the board the bags are not completely full, but they are filling.

Same kind of thing if I want to switch back to skiing. I start the empty and get ready. I might wait a few minutes to get some extra weight out but not long. I just keep the empty going while I get in the water and even the first few cuts, util the bags are empty.

The deal is running with the wakeplate down at 30 to 34 MPH ther really is not much of a wake EVEN WITH the bags full.

One other thing I have found is the rear bags don't always empty completely with out a little babysitting. Part of this might be due to the fact I use different bags. I am trying to come up with a solution this winter.

I am guessing somewhere around 10 minutes to completely fill or empty ballast.

Jon
12-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Gravity III ballast has 277 lbs on each side of the engine and 400 lbs in the ski locker.

kcsideways
12-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Mr. Fish: Jon's reply on the ballast is correct for the 2006 Moomba Outback V (formerly the LSV as the 2006 LSV is newly re-designed for this model year...bit longer, wider and 3"-4" deeper freeboard). Just as an FYI...the "Outback" boat series are all non-wakeboard equipped and you will need to option them out the way you want. All of the "Mobius" series of boats have basic wakeboard equipment factory installed, but there are some options that you will most likely want to have factory equipped vs. installed after-the-fact...most notably the hydraulic wakeplate (a must for crossover use IMO) and the ballast systems. Gravity I ballast is keel bag only and Gravity III is keel and stern bags. Gravity I is standard on the Mobius boats wiht the Gravity III as an option upgrade...most folks get as much factory ballast as possible. Have you determined who your local dealer is where you are going to keep you boat and have you spoke with them on any of the particulars??...I encourage you to try and establish a working relationship with them.

Jon, have you confirmed with the factory the standard ballast offerings new 2006 LSV?? It would be nice if the 650# keel bag was installed vs. the 400#? Anyway, we cross paths quite a bit on these MB's and you supply good factual info. I'm in Kansas City with Xtreme Marine.

Jon
12-30-2005, 12:07 PM
kcsideways,

I'm a dealer as well-Diamond Lakes WaterSports in Arkansas.

Standard ballast for the 2006 LSV is the Gravity I 400 lb locker bag. Gravity III upgrade would be the same as the Outback V, 277 lbs on each side of the engine and 400 lbs in the front locker.

This year in a tourney, I loaded up a 2005 Mob LSV (2006 Outback V) with 400 lb bags and 75 lb lead on either side of the engine. I also put a 650 in the front locker. I was not able to fill it up all the way but I probably was able to put 500 lbs in there. With the 2006 being bigger and deeper, I'm sure you could put the 650 in there as well.

I can't wait to put our 2006 LSV on the water and play with it. I'm thinking I"m going to start out with butting 600 lb bags on either side of the engine, putting the 650 in the front locker, plus a few 75 lb bricks of lead around the boat, probably in the bow. The wake should be kickin.