PDA

View Full Version : New Ski

pullmyfingers
12-26-2005, 01:46 AM
Need help with a new ski purchase. I have a gift certificate to Overtons and budget constraints so I am trying to choose between the Connelly Concept and the F1X. I skied on a O'Brien Synchro last year and it's time to upgrade. I am still a novice on the course but I tend to improve rather quickly. I was at 15 off in August when I hurt my ribs pretty bad and couldn't do much before the end of the season. Are these skis good or just good enough?

BensonWdby
12-26-2005, 10:30 AM
I have never skied the F1X (or any other shaped ski), nor any of the really high end skis like Goode, D3, Sixam, etc. I also no longer ski the course (much, mostly because no course available). However, I have recently increased my speed and shortened the line significantly in my free skiing.

I had skied 15 off at 30-32 mph for decades until this year, thinking that if you can't run the course any faster or shorter, then you have no business doing so in open water. I discovered that was the biggest mistake of my waterskiing life.

I am now skiing at 34mph at 32-35 off (in calm water) and loving it. I can finally actually feel the ski doing what it supposed to. And strangely enough I feel I have the same mount of time to do what needs to be done... Kind of a time-dialation thing..

Anyhow, the point here is that I am on a 1999 Connelly Concept with soft front boot and an open rear toe. The ski is generally pretty fogiving, but still does what I want it to when I want it to. Having nothing 'better' to compare it to it's hard to say how much better I might ski on something else. But right now I am having so much fun I really don't care.

My poor mans reasoning tells me that this Concept must be better than the high end skis of 20 years ago that guys used to run 38 off at, so it must have it in it. I would guess that the Concept could easily get you to 28 off without punishing you for form flaws. I can't think of anything worse than spending $1200 on a ski and hating it, and knowing that it could probably be tweeked to be perfect but not having the skill (or the nerve, to tweek it yourself). Kind of a catch-22. If you can' tell what you are doing wrong then you won't know what to do to the ski to help correct it. How much time/money do you have to track down that kind of support?

Depending on what you are coming off of, any new ski will probably feel like an improvement. I am sure that everone will tell you to demo skis before buying, but not sure what Overton's policy is regarding repeated returns.

Good luck
Dave

Catdog1
01-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Dave.

You have studied skiing for years. And participated with a fair amount of seriousness. (I saw evidence in the video.)

You really need to try a shaped ski.

It might surprise you.

pullmyfingers
01-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks for your help. I went ahead and bought a new Connelly Concept from Overtons. I believe I got a good deal by buying a 2003 model from their dent and ding items ($249). I read that they haven't changed the style the last few years so I couldn't find the need to buy a 2006 model for $419. The only ding I found was at the very tip of the tail where it looked like someone may have dropped it and barely chipped the top layer of fiberglass. A drop of Gorilla Glue and you can't tell there was ever anything wrong with it.

As for shaped skis, my Seige is about an inch wider at the top and 1/2 inch at the tail. It was a good ski to learn on and very easy to use. I even began skiing the course with it but I found that either my skills aren't good enough or the ski was slow. Somebody with more experience could easily run the course at 22 off or better with it.

pullmyfingers
01-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Oops- I meant I have an O'brien Synchro, not a Seige.

BensonWdby
01-05-2006, 07:45 PM
I might have a chance to try a shaped ski this year. A guy on my lake I just met has one and he has shown some interest in skiing with us. They seem like a great family and I hope to get them all on the water this year. He is smaller than I am so I would think I would need to ski this ski fast and short. Can shaped skis get into 35 off at 34 mph?

Dave

Tiltboy
01-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Hey Pull, what size foot do you have? I just bought a new HO Triumph, with a large boot.......I think 10-11 or so. Let me know if you want to try it out. Our place is on Dismal Creek, not far from Arley.

pullmyfingers
01-23-2006, 12:24 AM
Tahnks for the offer Tiltboy, but I have already spent all of my holiday $. Next expense will be paying $1100 more to dry store the family toy at Ryan Creek Marina.

BensonWdby
01-23-2006, 12:45 AM
$1100 - holy cow - we can store a boat in MN indoors (not heated) for $300 - 500 from October to May. You guys are getting the shaft.... I would consider looking at a Self-Storage rental for the season - probably cheaper ...

Dave

pullmyfingers
01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
Benson- I've been told that $1100 is pretty reasonable for an entire year. The marina launches and puts my boat away any day during the week from 8 am till about 7pm. They will also fill it up before I get there if I want them to.

I have thought about renting a place to put it but then I would have to tow it every time I want to go out on the water- and then back home after a long day. You pay for convenience I suppose.

BensonWdby
01-23-2006, 07:47 PM
I thought that was just for off-season storage. Year-round service - well that's a different story ....
Dave

Tiltboy
01-23-2006, 09:17 PM
No Pull, I wasn't trying to sell it to you. I was going to let you try it out if you wanted to. I just got it for Christmas. Where is Ryan Creek?

pullmyfingers
01-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Tilt, Sorry for the confusion. Maybe we can try it in the spring. Ryan Creek Marina is in Cullman (Big Bridge) about 7 or 8 miles north of the dam I think. There is a slalom course very close to that area. I'm not very good but I try hard. I WILL complete the course at 15 off or better this year. 2005 was my first year to slalom ski so I have work to do.

Tiltboy
01-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Hey Pull, what model boat and color do you have? I have an 03' Outback LS, White w/red stripe and tower. I need to look at the map and see how far away you are. I'm about a 10-15 min ride south to the dam. I'm just off the main channel up Dismal Creek. It's just before you get to Duncan bridge Marina. I think Duskin point Marina is close to me as well.

02-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by pullmyfingers
Need help with a new ski purchase. I have a gift certificate to Overtons and budget constraints so I am trying to choose between the Connelly Concept and the F1X. I skied on a O'Brien Synchro last year and it's time to upgrade. I am still a novice on the course but I tend to improve rather quickly. I was at 15 off in August when I hurt my ribs pretty bad and couldn't do much before the end of the season. Are these skis good or just good enough?;)

hey man i just got a connelly F1X and i love it, it is a quick ski and it really helped me improve my game i would go with it ( i demoed both and i love the F1X)