PDA

View Full Version : Ripped off - End of a long, painful day

bergermaister
04-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Today was one of those days that I'm just ready to be over and I definitely need a few beers. Already mentioned it elsewhere but I figured I'd share my grief, and precautions so that hopefully others don't experience the same situation.

My boat is parked alongside the house behind a 6ft high cedar fence/gate and under a carport type canopy.

Went out to dinner last night, kids are at Grandmas for a few days on spring break, all is good. 6am I'm up making coffee, take the garbage out, come around the corner and see the gate hanging open. Think maybe my teenage daughter snuck out (guilty of this before) so I go shut it, and as I turn around I see the engine cover open on the boat, driver's seat laying on the floor and compartments open...

Somebody, or a few somebody's, had the balls to climb the fence in the middle of the night, have at it on the boat, and literally destroy what they couldn't take. When I first looked I noticed the sub was gone from under the driver's helm. The door under the passenger side cubby was hanging open and when I stuck my head in I could see the cut wires.

Ran in the house and got dressed, told my "wife" the situation, and went back out to investigate.

Sub and box gone
Faceplate of HU gone
2 of the 3 amps gone
Ballast bags gone
Couple new lifejackets gone

When it got light out what really torqued me is that whatever they couldn't peel off quick and easy is all torn up. The cabin speakers are all in place still but all busted up from what looks like trying to pry them loose. Same thing with the tower speakers, all marred up and trashed. They even have holes jabbed through them.

The rear deck was open and when I closed it I found where they basically ripped into it and tried to pry it open rather than just lifting the latch.

Muddy footprints along with probably a good 20 or more holes on the cushions and drivers seat. It basically looks like someone stabbed all the cushions in the cabin with a screwdriver.

Had to wait 2 hours for the sheriff's office to call me back and they were pretty much just 'meh, file a report on-line'. Nothing else - pretty disappointing.

I will give my insurance company credit though - they moved pretty fast. There was an adjuster in the area today, he called, and said he would stop by after his last appointment. Came over, looked everything over, took a few pictures, told me to get estimates for having everything replaced and he could make it all happen within a few days. I was kind of dumbfounded. I don't even have an official case number from the police and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

The thing that grinds me the most about all this is now I feel like a target. Somebody is ballsy enough to do this once, who's to say they won't be back again in a few months? I just put in a motion sensing alarm this afternoon and bolted the gate shut. Going to rebuild it at least 8ft high in the next few days - for sure before I replace anything.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/theft4-13/P1110842.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/theft4-13/P1110847.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/theft4-13/P1110866.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/theft4-13/P1110867.jpg

bergermaister
04-06-2013, 01:04 AM
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/theft4-13/P1110836.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/theft4-13/P1110830.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/theft4-13/P1110824.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/theft4-13/P1110822.jpg

EricU
04-06-2013, 01:25 AM
That SUCKS, so sorry to hear that.

Nothing like working hard and having some BS F@#k you're stuff up.

Hope your insurance pans out (what covers the boat? Homeowners?). Let us know how it goes, as all I ever hear from insurance companies is "...that didn't come stock on your truck, therefore we don't cover it..." There's a reason the insurance companies have some of the nicest buildings in any big city.

If they don't pan out, you can have my factory bags that I just pulled out of my '02 (plus your boat is the right color!!!)

Good luck!

kaneboats
04-06-2013, 01:38 AM
Well, it doesn't hurt to read your policy either. Aftermarket "upgrades" on a truck will require an appropriate endorsement for coverage so you pay the premium instead of the rest of us. But, boat equipment is usually covered under the policy as a matter of course. Funny how people read the paper, read blogs, read facebook posts but can't be bothered to read their own insurance policies.

bergermaister
04-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Adjuster told me to get quotes for complete replacement of in-kind or comparable system and that it is covered at that value. Same with the upholstery. Only thing there is a limit on is any personal effects in the boat - which I think the only thing that falls into that category are the missing lifejackets. Didn't have any wakeboards or surfs or anything else in it but those would also fall into that category. I would consider the ballast bags as being part of the boat, plumbed in, not some extra accessory.

As I sit here and think about it I sure as hell hope there was no tampering with the engine since the cover was open. It doesn't look like it at all but with everything else tore up and trashed now I'm getting nervous.

kaneboats
04-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Explain your concern to the adjuster-- based on the other desecration, vandalism, tampering -- you are concerned about the SAFE operating condition of the vessel and would like it checked out. This should be reasonable at the time the estimate is done.

kaneboats
04-06-2013, 02:00 AM
It should not be unreasonable-- based on the "angry" or "jealous" nature of the damage caused-- to have things like the fuel lines checked to be sure no damage was caused to this type of component. You would not want a further personal injury claim to arise from a property damage only claim-- at least I wouldn't.

beat taco
04-06-2013, 02:13 AM
Sorry man! Sickening sight.

C.Hern5972
04-06-2013, 04:44 AM
Dang man, sorry to hear. Hope all works out with Insurance. Time for a secured storage unit

muehlcj
04-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Wow! Makes me sick. So sorry. We had a similar incident in our neighborhood last year with our cars. The damaged/stolen items sucks, but the idea that someone would do this to you with total disregard sucks even more. We were on edge for months after. Good luck!

jmvotto
04-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Berg, sorry to hear that, makes me sick when F sticks come in an mess with your stuff, it's one thing to do a clean break , but the other to just cause damage.. Just because. I would be f'ing hot!!!!!. I don't get vandalism, just pisses me off.

did any neighbors hear anything, seems like they made a racket?

Keep us posted.

mmandley
04-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Sorry to hear about this man.

New Guy
04-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Man Berg I could not even imagine your frustrations. Hopefully it is not a long drawn out process. At least that upholstery will be new in the boat and some class D amps are in your future.

sandm
04-06-2013, 09:35 AM
as mentioned, sorry about the loss. hopefully the insurance wheels move quickly as your season is right around the corner..

brad460
04-06-2013, 09:45 AM
This crap can just make you hate the human race! Reminds me how pissed off my cousin and I were this winter coming back to his truck we left at a park and ride over the weekend to find some piece of crap cut off his catalytic converter..

jpetty3023
04-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Berg man, sorry to hear about this act of ignorance. sounds like some younger kids/adults and prolly not the first time they have done something like this. pisses me off that your local sheriffs office didn't come out and process your scene. fingerprints are always a possibility, canvass the neighborhood, grab serial numbers for ya and throw into a state/national data base. like others have said, hope your insurance company makes things right

sent from my home phone

brain_rinse
04-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Sorry to hear! It hurts to see the pics, but I know you'll get it all fixed up like new in no time.

wolfeman131
04-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Berg,

Those speakers were classics, man. Irreplaceable and priceless, in my book. Tell the insurance guy that for you 'd probably be OK with it all if they hooked ya up w/ a Mojo.

mcdye
04-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Sorry to hear about this... Stuff like this makes me sick, stealing is bad enough, but to trash too.urggggg

KG's Supra24
04-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Whoa ... I would have been hot. Hate to see this Berg. I can't believe they thrashed it like that.

Hope the insurance company takes care of you.

rdlangston13
04-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Dang man, this sucks big time! I can't even imagine how angry I would be! Better top that fence off with some razor wire

Sent from my iPhone

pprior
04-06-2013, 01:15 PM
I've had cars broken into and damaged before. It truly makes you sick and more so a boat with that kind of damage. People just suck, that's all there is to it. Today's culture of "it's not right that someone has more than me" is making things worse.

consider putting up a camera system outside if you're going to keep boat there. Sad thing is whoever it was may likely come back in the future. Maybe a vibration type alarm or something?

My sympathies. And don't let anger eat at you - remember God sees all things and in the end nobody "gets away" with anything. He will judge. Get it fixed and have a great summer with your family and friends with the boat that you've EARNED and worked hard for.

maxpower220
04-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Electric fence. 100,000 Amps should do the trick.

jpetty3023
04-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Electric fence. 100,000 Amps should do the trick.

and a machine gun bunker, or at least a sniper hide

sent from my home phone

jmb
04-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Dang Berg. I would be out of control. Hope all works out well for you.

ditchsnake
04-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Dude that makes me sick. Liars and thieves are the same If your one your the other. I have the same exact storage set up as you. Next to the garage behind a locked gate with 6 ft fence. The homeowners association just saw my tower stick up a couple of ft above the fence and now i have to move it. The wife and I were arguing about public storage or an enclosed private one. Sorry but you personally helped me. Know know the sad thing is as screwed up as this country is, If I caught someone doing this I would try to hurt them bad. I'd be the one going to jail or getting shot. Sorry but thank you. And I really don't understand the vandallism. It has to be someone that has seen your boat and is jealous. Gene

bergermaister
04-07-2013, 12:17 AM
I'm cooled down some but still edgy. Spoke to my neighbors and let them know -asked the ones right next to me if they had heard anything. The mom, kinda funny actually, said no but that morning about 6:30 or so she was getting ready for work and said she heard a really loud "OH F___CK" outside from my side of the fence. Figured one of the kids was in trouble, but now it makes sense to her. "Oh, uh, sorry about that."

I talked to my brother who is also a cop about the whole situation. He agreed with the taller fence but warned about getting too defensive. Like ditchsnake said, I'd be the one going to jail if I came around the corner and took out some dirt bag with a baseball bat or put a few rounds in him. Just doesn't make sense to me but that's the way it is.

He also told me that whoever came in was probably in and out in 10 minutes or less. The sheriff and the insurance adjuster basically said the same thing. They don't take their time to take things apart. Pull, pry, cut, grab, go. I guess my tower amp was too hard to get to because they just left it. I know if they were in there they could see it. I haven't checked yet to see if the wires are cut.

I don't know about all the stab marks. Only thing I can think is some f--ckstick was bored waiting on the other f--ckstick or pissed because the other speakers didn't come out or pissed that life is unfair or whatever.

The boat hasn't seen the light of day since Sept or Oct so it had to be someone who knows we have it or someone who spotted the carport top over the fence and was casing it. That's what the sheriff suggested and said they've had a rash of those kinds of prowlings in the past.

At any rate, I need to get out to an upholstery shop and stereo shop for quotes, and maybe a mechanical inspection. Our weather is really not cooperating for any of this though with big rainstorms passing through which grinds me even more to have it just sitting there and being able to do nothing...

zabooda
04-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Most city codes prohibit fences taller than 6'. Put a baby monitor in your boat. You can put the action right by your ears. I use them when I travel and I leave it in the car. Interesting to hear conversations in the parking lot.

MikeyMike
04-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Sucks dude! Sorry to hear.
Our city will let you do an 8' fence but you have to pull permits and get everything approved. I would double check with them first. Last thing you need is to build a new fence and have the city start knocking on your door!

rdlangston13
04-07-2013, 12:23 PM
I talked to my brother who is also a cop about the whole situation. He agreed with the taller fence but warned about getting too defensive. Like ditchsnake said, I'd be the one going to jail if I came around the corner and took out some dirt bag with a baseball bat or put a few rounds in him. Just doesn't make sense to me but that's the way it is.

Not in Texassss!!!!

jpetty3023
04-07-2013, 02:08 PM
yeah here in TX you can kill folk in the hours of darkness to prevent theft. nifty little law still on the books huh!!

sent from my home phone

sybrmike
04-07-2013, 09:54 PM
That sucks - nothing worse than a liar or thief. Gets me all worked up again about my truck getting hit last Dec in broad daylight in a busy lunchtime restaurant parking lot - side window, radar detector, phone, ipod, gym bag, etc. I hope all those thieving little b-tards get nailed (or worse down here in Texas). Fortunately it's just stuff & nobody (well, at least the good guys) got hurt.

rdlangston13
04-07-2013, 10:26 PM
yeah here in TX you can kill folk in the hours of darkness to prevent theft. nifty little law still on the books huh!!

sent from my home phone

so you are allowed to carry a gun in your car and defend it with deadly force now right? what about your boat???

jpetty3023
04-07-2013, 10:45 PM
not sure about boat David, not up to speed on wildlife laws but ill make a call tomo and get the correct answer

sent from my home phone

sicktc06
04-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Berg man, I hate to hear about this so much. But it is kind of funny how sometimes the people you think are out to really try and help/protect the citizens such as yourself and I, seem to really not care and almost be on the bad guys side at times...

not sure about boat David, not up to speed on wildlife laws but ill make a call tomo and get the correct answer

I know it's against the law in GA to have a firearm on Army Corps of Engineer property here in GA. Didn't know that either at the time...

bbuhtz
04-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Ouch! Hate to see this happen to you Berg specially the way you care for your boat. Hope all turns out for the better and you are back on the water in the next coming months. Hopefully the thieves get what they deserve!

chawk610
04-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Sick about this Berg. Really sick. They do not deserve to live among us.

bergermaister
04-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Ended up adding a 3ft section to the top of the existing fence/gate yesterday for a total of 9ft tall now and outside motion detector alarm installed with monitor on my nightstand but you can hear it through the whole house. I'm outside city limits so not sure on the laws about fence height. I made it so that I can remove the top portion in about 15 minutes if needed. (Take it off, wait until the inspector leaves, then put it back on...) My neighbors said it didn't bother them at all so doubt anyone will be reporting me. Just need to clean up the old fence and stain it to match.

Now I'm sorta debating on what to do first.
I was already planning on a new custom cover this year, probably in the next few weeks.
And I want an alarm system on the boat before any audio goes back in.
Want the new cover before the interior repairs.
Wondering if it would be a good idea to do the audio before the interior?

Finding this is going to take a lot more time than I have to give at the moment...

mmandley
04-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Ended up adding a 3ft section to the top of the existing fence/gate yesterday for a total of 9ft tall now and outside motion detector alarm installed with monitor on my nightstand but you can hear it through the whole house. I'm outside city limits so not sure on the laws about fence height. I made it so that I can remove the top portion in about 15 minutes if needed. (Take it off, wait until the inspector leaves, then put it back on...) My neighbors said it didn't bother them at all so doubt anyone will be reporting me. Just need to clean up the old fence and stain it to match.

Now I'm sorta debating on what to do first.
I was already planning on a new custom cover this year, probably in the next few weeks.
And I want an alarm system on the boat before any audio goes back in.
Want the new cover before the interior repairs.
Wondering if it would be a good idea to do the audio before the interior?

Finding this is going to take a lot more time than I have to give at the moment...

Several things can be done at the same time.

Order the cover, get it going because that takes time man. Then you can get the interior done in the mean time because that takes time LOL.

Stereo should be last because although it takes time to get installed its not something that needs to be done today vs a cover and new interior.

If you need any help man or need some space to keep the boat so its easier to fix things let me know, i got a few connections.

Mrd8ker
03-08-2014, 03:41 PM
What did you end up doing about the alarm? I have a Mondo on order and will be putting Exile/Hertz audio in. That stuff is not cheap. For the most part when the boat is parked in the garage I won't need an alarm. I am more concerned about grocery stores, hotels, and campgrounds. My '69 Tahiti was parked in our cul-de-sac last year overnight and someone grabbed our brand new tube out of it. See ya later $300.

I have looked at the TH Marine stuff as well as. I am not sure if a single sensor within the controller is the way to go or if I need to wire hatch sensors, pressure pads, etc.

kriley
03-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Berg - sorry about what they did to your boat! We had close to the same thing happen but they came in the garage while my wife as home- scared her to death!!! We bought a black lab - labs love to bark and something about a big black dog tends to scare people! Plus I got to buy more guns!!! I hope you get your boat back in perfect condition - those that did this to you have or will answer to a much higher power.....

beat taco
03-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Berg - sorry about what they did to your boat! We had close to the same thing happen but they came in the garage while my wife as home- scared her to death!!! We bought a black lab - labs love to bark and something about a big black dog tends to scare people! Plus I got to buy more guns!!! I hope you get your boat back in perfect condition - those that did this to you have or will answer to a much higher power.....

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=22676

bergermaister
03-09-2014, 01:36 PM
MrD8 - I'm less worried about when we're out somewhere although I probably should be. At home I now have a 9ft high fence (old was 6) with a thin line of barbwire across the top, two motion detector lights, and a motion detector alarm. My lab is 11yrs old and slept through the whole ordeal last year just like the rest of us. But otherwise he and his younger sister bark at anything and everything most of the time.

Cops said the best deterrent is lights and noise. If that fails there is a 12ga nearby, if I'm home and my neighbors are on board for watching out for each other after I told them about it.

Kriley - the ordeal was painful and frustrating but after a few months and some great work the boat turned out better than ever as you can see from Taco's link above. My insurance company was absolutely great to work with and I'm very happy with the outcome. Probably the worst part was just feeling like a target and that some punk douche bag(s) just raped you. Every time I'd hear a bumping stereo or a car would drive by and casually look over when I was outside I'd find myself immediately suspicious and staring them down. Crappy feeling.

Still on the fence about a mobile alarm install. It dropped down on the priority list after the home parking spot was fortified.