PDA

View Full Version : Looking at new wake surf boards... Which one?

jetpilot2002
04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I currently have a shapiro ginsu, have had it for 3 seasons and like the board, but these need boards look so much better. What is everyone riding? I like the surf style more and am looking at the phase 5 boards. Have a decent wake and weigh 190. Was comparing the danielo pro carbon vs diamond, but the more and research I do, I keep finding more boards, please help!

wolfeman131
04-04-2013, 12:08 PM
If you like surf style & Phase 5 then the Model X is about the only one I'd recommend. Their boards are mostly skim style designs.

Non epoxy surf boards that we like are Soulcraft, Mendonesia and Austin Board Company.

Epoxy boards that we like are Inland Surfer, XXX and the new LF Hazen should be very nice.

mmandley
04-04-2013, 12:21 PM
If you like surf style & Phase 5 then the Model X is about the only one I'd recommend. Their boards are mostly skim style designs.

Non epoxy surf boards that we like are Soulcraft, Mendonesia and Austin Board Company.

Epoxy boards that we like are Inland Surfer, XXX and the new LF Hazen should be very nice.

I agree with this except,

XXX in 12 went to a harder surface compound that doesnt ding as easy as previous years. Its the same or simular to IS compounds.

The Shapiro your riding is the softer outter shell and dings very easily.

I have a Shapiro like yours and my best bro rides it all the time, his comments are nothing is faster except my Soul Craft custom board.

brain_rinse
04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Agree with comments above and would add Walker boards to the mix.

sandm
04-04-2013, 04:23 PM
soulcraft. can't beat a custom board..

jetpilot2002
04-04-2013, 10:13 PM
What soulcraft boards are you guys riding? Never heard of them before? Just want to make sure my new board is better then my current board. Really do not have any complaints with my current board, just wish it was a little faster and a bit more responsive.

mmandley
04-04-2013, 10:23 PM
The base design of my board is a Soul Craft Jetty with a Squash Tail.

Im sure you would be more then pleased with a standard 4.10 Jetty with your weight.
I ride a 5.0 but rode a 4.10 and liked it a lot as well.
The one i got Claudia is a 4.8 so its faster, more manuverable and for lighter people.

sandm
04-05-2013, 11:16 AM
same as mikes, but I ride a 4.8 and think the other one is a 4.6 for the ceo.

I'm anxious to try mine out with the futures blackstix fins jeff is sending. I've heard they make a world of difference in the overall speed/feel of the board. ridden several jettys with stock fins.

kaneboats
04-05-2013, 11:27 AM
I rode Daze's new TripleX in Jan. I have one of their skim style and this was the first surf style board I have tried. Very fast and lots of fun. Worth trying out.

rca
04-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Where do y'all generally purchase your boards? I have not found too many shops with good stock in our area (greater Houston).

wolfeman131
04-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Online.

Direct from shaper if it's a custom board like Soulcraft or

Towanza.com
http://www.towanza.com/

Or

Cal Marine Sports
http://calmarinesports.com/wakesurf-1.html

Or

Ebay

sandm
04-05-2013, 08:16 PM
wolfe is spot on. calmarine has a great selection and I've had good luck with towanza on a skimboard..

custom shapers are fun to deal with due to getting exactly what you want. they can walk you though the process and help design a board for you...

rca
04-05-2013, 09:22 PM
I looked at the soulcraft website last night but I didn't see a way to order one. I'll go back and take a look. I need to find somebody that has one down here I could check out.

KG's Supra24
04-05-2013, 09:26 PM
I've been happy with my walker board. I'd like to ride another hand shaped to compare.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mmandley
04-06-2013, 09:15 AM
I looked at the soulcraft website last night but I didn't see a way to order one. I'll go back and take a look. I need to find somebody that has one down here I could check out.

If you want a Soul Craft let me know, ill get you in touch with Jeff, and give you a recommendation with him. I think you would absolutely love the 5.0 i have. If it wasn't for the cost of shipping, i would ship it to Texas when i visit but that's 75+ each way for the board LOL.

mmandley
04-06-2013, 09:17 AM
I've been happy with my walker board. I'd like to ride another hand shaped to compare.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Those are nice boards, the biggest difference with the hand shaped is Speed, response and weight. I have that IS skim board i got on here from Outback11 and its super light but due to its outer shell material its still slower feeling then my Soul Craft. The way they glass the outer shell of the board just makes it super slick in the water. It doesn't even feel slick and smooth, it actually has a texture feel but man its fast in the water.

jetpilot2002
04-07-2013, 12:13 PM
What is the biggest difference between the Jetty Squash or Fang tail?

mmandley
04-07-2013, 12:46 PM
What is the biggest difference between the Jetty Squash or Fang tail?

Check this out, it tells you the differences with all the types of tails.

http://allaboutsurfboards.com/surfboard-tail/

jetpilot2002
04-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Just ordered a jetty fang tail from Jeff, can't wait to get the board and ride it. Thanks for your guys help and will keep you posted with the results!

saskie99
05-10-2013, 06:30 PM
i just got the shred stixx pro, cant wait to ride it this weekend!

volfo
06-05-2013, 04:04 PM
How about a follow up on how you guys like your new boards?

I'm in the market for a new board sometime before too long. Thinking long and hard about a P5 Trident. Borrowed one for one ride and absolutely loved it. Talked to the designer at an inwater boat show last weekend and he explained the updates this year. My only issue is I don't know how much I would like some of the others, like the Soulcraft, Triple XXX, Inland Surfer. I've thought about an IS Red Rocket. I'm about 5'10, fluctuate between 180 and 195. Anyone have an idea how the Trident compares to the Red Rocket or some of these other boards you're discussing?

I have two Shapiro boards currently, the big 5'6" Mauka and a smaller, thinner one. Both have had to be repaired. In fact, about to fix the Mauka, a nasty break in the nose caused by slamming it into the boat. First time for that, not pretty.

wolfeman131
06-05-2013, 04:13 PM
The P5 and Soulcraft surf-style boards are both great, but worlds apart, so kinda hard to compare. The P5 Trident would also be a lot different than the Red Rocket and it depends on which Triple X you're looking at.

Narrow it down a bit (if you can) to surf or skim style.

moombadaze
06-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Have 2 XXX's and like them, especialy for the price

Have 2 prototype Lakewakes and like them too, the builder has a full time job and the board building is a side buisiness and has had problems delivering ordered boards in the past. group buys that have been cancelled after taking deposits.

have 2 hypelites, like them for being beginer boards

my .02

volfo
06-05-2013, 06:07 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure I understand the difference between skim and surf style. I have a Shapiro Mauka, which is a long (5'6"), relatively thick board, and a Shapiro Release, which is much thinner and 4'9". I think the Release is skim and I"m guessing the Mauka is surf, but I don't really know that.

I thought the Trident was a skim board, but I'm not sure of that. How does the Trident differ from Red Rocket?

mmandley
06-05-2013, 08:14 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure I understand the difference between skim and surf style. I have a Shapiro Mauka, which is a long (5'6"), relatively thick board, and a Shapiro Release, which is much thinner and 4'9". I think the Release is skim and I"m guessing the Mauka is surf, but I don't really know that.

I thought the Trident was a skim board, but I'm not sure of that. How does the Trident differ from Red Rocket?

The most notable feature difference is the FIN size, small shallow fins of only 1 inch hieght is used for skim, Surf style is normally 2-4 inch tall fins.

They come in all sizes, and amounts on the boards but thats the fastest way to tell your average skim and surf board differences.

zroutt
06-21-2013, 02:23 PM
I have not been to this site for awhile as we have been busy getting a Surf Demo business up and going. In addition we traded off our Moomba for a 2013 Tige RZR. I had some time while at work today and thought I would pop in and see what is going on in the world of Moomba. We are also demoing some surfboards with a gentleman on Sunday that just purchased a 2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 so I thought I would scope out what you guys are doing for weight and ballast settings for the Mojo before I climb in his boat.

zroutt
06-21-2013, 04:32 PM
To follow up with my previous post and my apologies again Kane ;) We ride Victoria Skims and Brigade Wakesurfing surf style boards on our boat. I took a recommendation from Mitch at CMS about Victoria last year and fell in love. Super fast, and so much fun. Here are a couple of videos of my wife and I on Victoria Skims. I am riding the Agent and my Wife is riding the Pixie, Bri Chmels Pro Model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c31Yz7cU_o

zroutt
06-21-2013, 04:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3j1oJoLaSI

zroutt
06-21-2013, 04:33 PM
I am an ocean surfer since age 8 and I gotta say though that I love the surf style over the skim style by preference but will always ride a skim for a while on any given session.

Here I am riding a Brigade Wakesurfing Bomber. It is a board rated up to 250lbs. We just got three more boards in this week, Aviator=Grom size, Zulu=90-160lbs, .352 Special=120-200lb and is also Aaron Witheralls Competition board for Open Surf Class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEo-9SzajTw

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for however with that being said the Victoria Skims are a phenomenal value. They are priced like your sports store branded LF, Ronix, HyperLite but ride so much better. In addition we are a firm believer in getting your self into a board that you can grow into and not wasting money on the starter boards if you will. Because eventually you will want a faster board and you will grow out of a beginner style board.

kaneboats
06-23-2013, 02:10 AM
That skim looked like it had some fun to it.

zroutt
06-24-2013, 10:11 AM
That skim is a Victoria Skim Agent size medium. So much fun. Fast, spinny and poppy! Basically the same thing as the Bri Chmel Pixie, only the pixie has a stiffer top coat for more pop.