PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Air Exhaust units

smokedog2
12-18-2005, 09:58 PM
See the link. I just bought one today. $100 off if you order before Jan 15th. It looks like a pretty good idea and I think I can install this myself. The noise reduction really has my interest - as well as the CO issues.

$100 off is a heck of a deal.

http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

SD2

ok I'll stop editing now.

zabooda
12-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Looks real good. I would check with the manufactorer on how they deal with the side force in a sharp turn as the pivot point is at the rudder so the device would encounter some lateral forces based on the radius of the turn. One needs something like that if they're hanging around the back of the boat.

BensonWdby
12-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Interesting, but somewhat concerning. When I buy a product I like to have warm fuzzies that the mfg knows what they are doing, espedially when it is applied to my most prized possession. The following statement on their web page causes me a bit of concern...

"We surmise that FAE causes the exhaust gasses to swirl when they go through the first 90-degree bend and again when the gasses meet at the tee. As the exhaust exits the pipe into the water, the water may also be sucking the exhaust out of the system as well. We continue to research FAE so that we fully understand why it works so well; but that is what's important - that it works so well."

That and the fact that they want to attach to the swim platform - which would make it a little tough to get the platform off I would think...

My 2cts.
Dave

smokedog2
12-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Z,

I’ll let you know if it falls off, I’m not terribly worried about that. I searched several web sites and found very few informed folks that found the device anything other than transparent to the boat operation. V drives do not do very good bat turns anyway.

B,

Ha, at least FAE will tell you they are guessing. I guess it has more to do with cooling through the pipe and shrinking the volume creating a vacuum pull and pressure differential (which of course further delaminates the flow creating a wider effective pipe since laminar flow will choke a pipe – but I digress). I’m not sure I want to pay for the finite element gas flow analysis to explain the lower CO content.

I do not remove my swim platform so no worries there.

I’ll post my review this summer.

SD2

Nafplio
12-19-2005, 12:36 PM
I like the less noise/bad gas idea. I do have to take the platform off for parking though. I'd be interested in the review.
Also, checked the howtowakesurf.com link on their website. Good info/video clips.

VA LSV
12-19-2005, 01:26 PM
I've seen some boat ads that list chrome downturn exhaust tips as a feature and. I found several options for straight tips from Rex but none that turn down.

Yellowmobius
12-19-2005, 02:57 PM
I am wondering what the Moomba guys think about this.

Any comment from the factory?