PDA

View Full Version : Just Closed

rdlangston13
03-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Well Heidi and I just got home from meeting with a title company agent and Thomas Juarez from Thomas Classic Homes here in Old Towne Katy. After signing a giant stack of papers we are now home owners...kind of. Construction should begin next week and we will hopefully be in by August if everything goes according to plan! I will update this thread with pictures throughout the process although I will not be home for the first 1/3-1/2 of it.

wolfeman131
03-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Congrats to you both!

jpetty3023
03-26-2013, 08:16 PM
congrats kid!! plans for an oversized garage to keep the moomba close to home?

sent from my home phone

rdlangston13
03-26-2013, 09:01 PM
congrats kid!! plans for an oversized garage to keep the moomba close to home?

sent from my home phone

Nah, wasn't in our limited budget and keeping the Moomba at the house would actually cost is more than storing it once you factor in gas towing it back and forth all the time.

It's a 3 bed 2.5 bath with an office, 2 car attached garage. Split floor plan so the master bed room is completely on the opposite side of the house as the other rooms.

Sent from my iPhone

mmandley
03-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Congratz to you both

jmvotto
03-26-2013, 10:01 PM
David, congrats to you and Heidi. Very exciting....

KG's Supra24
03-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Congrats!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rca
03-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Congratulations David. Where are you heading off too?

sandm
03-27-2013, 07:12 AM
congrats.. don't let them nickel and dime you on upgrades...

about to start the same house hunt here in green bay. always fun to get new digs..

chawk610
03-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Good deal... congrats. Nothing like home ownership!

rdlangston13
03-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks guys! Ron, it's in the Fawn Lake subdivision in Old Town Katy. We wanted to stay out of the mega huge subdivisions (Cinco Ranch, Firethorne, ect). Fawn Lake is basically a circle with a pond in the middle and a jogging trail, not very big at all. The builder actually lives in the house across the street from where we will be.

It's not as close to the water as some of y'all's new pads, in fact it's about 7 miles farther (already about a 110 mile drive), but the close proximity to family makes up for it. Katy just doesn't have any good water sources for boating close by. My parents and her parents are all within 5 miles which is good since I'm out of town so much.

Sent from my iPhone

New Guy
03-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Congratulations! Houses are always an interesting investment.

kaneboats
03-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Congrats! Very happy for you guys. May become very important to be close to family. Stay on that builder. Good to visit the site often and bring water when it starts getting hot out-- lemonade is good too. Maybe beer late on Fridays.

wolfeman131
03-27-2013, 12:51 PM
ha!

I showed up twice a week with goodies when the framers were at our house. Most important part, IMO. If they build straight, plumb and level walls then everything else is more likely to be in good shape. I rotated between McDonald's breakfast mid-week to cold ones & pizza on Fridays.

rdlangston13
03-27-2013, 01:01 PM
I would definitely be down with bringing refreshments however I will be offshore or out of the country for the first half of construction pretty much. May have to pass this on to Heidi

Sent from my iPhone

ian ashton
03-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Hot chick delivering pizza and beer? They might just build that big garage anyway to stretch the project out!

sicktc06
03-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Congrats man!!

rca
03-27-2013, 01:18 PM
David are you headed for an out of country gig?

New Guy
03-27-2013, 01:21 PM
I agree with Ian it will be a easy way to get some extra perks lol.

rdlangston13
03-27-2013, 04:10 PM
David are you headed for an out of country gig?

I'm in New Orleans right now for a 2 day meeting today and tomorrow, then I head offshore Friday till Tuesday. Then Friday i fly to Russia for three weeks for a training school. Then as soon as I get home I go back offshore for a week and half. Then home for one week in may, then back offshore for three weeks. So by the time I get some
Time off in June it will be like half way done or more lol.

Sent from my iPhone

jpetty3023
03-27-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm in New Orleans right now for a 2 day meeting today and tomorrow, then I head offshore Friday till Tuesday. Then Friday i fly to Russia for three weeks for a training school. Then as soon as I get home I go back offshore for a week and half. Then home for one week in may, then back offshore for three weeks. So by the time I get some
Time off in June it will be like half way done or more lol.

Sent from my iPhone

hope your getting a nice raise, your work is taking up a lot of your lake time. hopefully your being compensated for such a travesty.

sent from my home phone

wolfeman131
03-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Hot chick delivering pizza and beer? They might just build that big garage anyway to stretch the project out!

genius move!

KG's Supra24
03-27-2013, 06:11 PM
I dropped off a bag of diabetes and gatorade to our contractors last week.

rdlangston13
04-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Ok so our back yard does not come with grass, apparently that is our responsibility. I came up with about 2500 sq feet for the backyard, maybe a little more depending on the side yard and where the fence ends. A local nursery advertised a pallet of st Augustine for $130 and that's 450 sqft of coverage, so I'll need like 7. Anyone have any idea how much a pallet on this stuff weighs??

Sent from my iPhone

beat taco
04-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Just under 2,000 pounds.

wolfeman131
04-01-2013, 07:20 AM
your truck can handle pallet, but that would be it. If you need that many pallets, you can try and negotiate free delivery from the nursery. Not a bad thing as you can direct them to spread the pallets around the backyard. Get plenty of help so you can get it off the pallets and on the ground ASAP.

rdlangston13
04-01-2013, 08:54 AM
your truck can handle pallet, but that would be it. If you need that many pallets, you can try and negotiate free delivery from the nursery. Not a bad thing as you can direct them to spread the pallets around the backyard. Get plenty of help so you can get it off the pallets and on the ground ASAP.

I don't think they will be able to get a full pallet through the fence and I don't want them running over sprinkler heads with a fork lift...

Sent from my iPhone

mmandley
04-01-2013, 11:49 AM
When we did the back yard last year, they laid down 4/8 sheets to not run over the sprinkler system.

Couple things to look at.

How tall are the sprinkler heads, they need to come out of the ground about 4-6 inches to clear the sod and grass.

Thats another thing you cant just put sod down on dirt or you risk killing it all. You will need to put down a mixture of dirt. I cant recall the mixture name but it has several things mixed and this allows the grass to bond and grow. Also you will need to use a TON TON of water every day all summer or the grass will die in the Texas heat.

Our water bill was 100 a month higher then normal the first 3 months we had grass. We watered it at 4 am for 15 minutes, then again at 10pm for 15 minutes. The goal is it has to stay damp at the roots all the time.

Depending on when your house is done it might be best to wait till Feb 14 to plant the back yard. We had our house done in June, but did the back yard in March for that same reason.

Also with Sod if you cant get them to deliver, then you should rent a flat bed style trailer, it can handle more pallets. Plus its lower to the ground for unloading, and its a lot easier on your truck to Pull 2K lbs then carry it in the bed.

wolfeman131
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't think they will be able to get a full pallet through the fence and I don't want them running over sprinkler heads with a fork lift...

Sent from my iPhone

Take the fence down so they can. You will kill yourself carrying that much sod by hand from the curb to the back yard. Plus the more you handle it, the harder it is to work with as it starts to pull apart, etc. Or, you can run down to the QT with a couple hundred in your pocket and bring back some day laborers.

kaneboats
04-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Carrying sod gets real old real fast.

rdlangston13
04-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Right now my plan is to use heidis dads tandem axle flat bed trailer to transport it if they want to charge for shipping. From there I will just use a wheel barrow to cart a few slabs at a time to the backyard and repeat till I am done. I would like to get it done in 2 days, 3 pallets one day, 3 pallets the next, or 3 days with 2 pallets each day.

As far as keeping it alive, the nursery said to just water it every day for 30 mins for the first 2 weeks so that is my plan as of right now. I would love to wait till feb or march but with the dogs using the backyard to potty we need grass to prevent a filthy mess of dirt being tracked in multiple times a day.

As far a laborers go, it will be me and Heidi if she is off work but probably mainly me, I don't think we are going to have any money left to hire out any help and plus that just supports the illegal immigration problem lol.

mmandley
04-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Right now my plan is to use heidis dads tandem axle flat bed trailer to transport it if they want to charge for shipping. From there I will just use a wheel barrow to cart a few slabs at a time to the backyard and repeat till I am done. I would like to get it done in 2 days, 3 pallets one day, 3 pallets the next, or 3 days with 2 pallets each day.

As far as keeping it alive, the nursery said to just water it every day for 30 mins for the first 2 weeks so that is my plan as of right now. I would love to wait till feb or march but with the dogs using the backyard to potty we need grass to prevent a filthy mess of dirt being tracked in multiple times a day.

As far a laborers go, it will be me and Heidi if she is off work but probably mainly me, I don't think we are going to have any money left to hire out any help and plus that just supports the illegal immigration problem lol.

Dude, you cant let dogs on the yard for a couple weeks. They will destroy it, the peaces need to set, and root in a bit.

Lucky you have small dogs, but when ours was installed the landscaper said, NO DOGS, NO PEOPLE for 2 weeks. The yard should be squishy feeling when you walk on it after its installed till the dirt under it hardens.

Also yea 30 minutes a day is fine to water, when its not the dead of a Texas Summer.

Just trying to give you some tips, so you don't kill the yard your spending so much on. Also honestly you need help laying the sod man.

They did mine in 2 days and it was 3 guys who do this for a living and my back yard was only 3 pallets.

Also something to think about, we left 18 inches of dirt boarder around the yard and fence. This allows it to be cut easier and trimmed easier then having it up along the fence. Plus is makes a nice area to plant flowers and such. Kicker is it can save you a lot of sod.

jpetty3023
04-01-2013, 03:43 PM
I just laid 150 pieces to cover up where I dug holes for the electric to my outdoor bar. I did the wheel barrel thing and it liked to kill me. load truck, unload truck to wheel barrel, push wheel barrel, unload WB, and lay grass. don't sound like a lot but it really is especially for 1 person. did mine when temp was 60 degrees and it felt like 100 by time I was done. them squares get heavy to after 60 or so!!

won't your builder add the grass into the loan? won't be but a couple grand and on a 30 year note your talkin a few bucks a month

sent from my home phone

rdlangston13
04-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I just laid 150 pieces to cover up where I dug holes for the electric to my outdoor bar. I did the wheel barrel thing and it liked to kill me. load truck, unload truck to wheel barrel, push wheel barrel, unload WB, and lay grass. don't sound like a lot but it really is especially for 1 person. did mine when temp was 60 degrees and it felt like 100 by time I was done. them squares get heavy to after 60 or so!!

won't your builder add the grass into the loan? won't be but a couple grand and on a 30 year note your talkin a few bucks a month

sent from my home phone

a couple grand x 30 year loan = 4-5 grand...just doesnt seem like a good investment to finance grass for 30 years

kevkev
04-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Dude don't plant St. Augustine. Having the choice to do what you want, you should plant some real grass like zoysia or something that actually looks and feels nice.

wolfeman131
04-01-2013, 04:27 PM

Well, the good news here is that if you use her for labor she will, most likely, give you the ring back that you can then pawn and use that cash to hire some labor. Legal or not is up to you.

jpetty3023
04-01-2013, 04:47 PM
a couple grand x 30 year loan = 4-5 grand...just doesnt seem like a good investment to finance grass for 30 years

I wouldn't call in financing grass I'd call it financing your home. have some buddy's over and provide the beer and steaks then but your getting yourself involved in a huge project that I'm willing to bet takes more than 2-3 days

sent from my home phone

sandm
04-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Mike has some solid points on this topic.
my .02, having laid a dozen or so lawns over the years..

you don't need to add anything on top of the soil if you have a good finegrade, but if not, some mulch/dirt will help it grow faster. most nurseries will deliver for free if you are ordering 2500sqft, but if you have fencing up, will only leave in the driveway. get 5 friends for a total of 6 and have 2 bring wheelbarrows. work in 2 man crews, one wheeling and one laying. you can do a lawn of this size in 3-4hrs tops. if you order the pallets all at once, lay it in a day. the longer it sits, the longer it takes to green up and "take" in the dirt. mike is right, no foot traffic or pets for 2 weeks. water 2-3x daily and keep wet. I'd recommend renting a lawn roller. only $20-30 for 1/2 day and roll when done. it'll make the seams less noticable and smooth any high spots.
imo, $100 and a couple guys that wait in the home depot parking lot go a long ways. legal or not, they are not going away and if it saves your back and makes the job quicker, do it. having learned the hard way, doing it yourself is just plain crazy, especially with cheap labor plentiful. hire friends for beer or hire "those others" for cash. you will be thankful in the end.

rdlangston13
04-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Dude don't plant St. Augustine. Having the choice to do what you want, you should plant some real grass like zoysia or something that actually looks and feels nice.

I just found out about this stuff last night and will be looking into it much deeper. Definitely seems like the way to go!

Sent from my iPhone

sybrmike
04-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Well, the good news here is that if you use her for labor she will, most likely, give you the ring back that you can then pawn and use that cash to hire some labor. Legal or not is up to you.

Sage advice from Drew. Building a house can be rough enough on a marriage, let alone a marriage-to-be and throwing sod. Somehow my 20 year marriage survived 3 house builds (one self contracted & ~30% sweat equity), but this last one almost did it in when we dropped 33 pallets of sod in one weekend with only a half day's help of two friends. I know you're a young, strapping, invincible buck, but get as much help as you can find or afford.

If you've got the labor, getting all 7 at once may qualify you for free delivery with one of the wholesale companies (most comes from Wharton or Liberty areas & $ can be better), but you don't want pallets sitting idle for days, dying in the Texas sun. Remove the fence or whatever so the driver can drop the pallets spread out over the lawn so sections can be dropped near each pallet. Otherwise, a few pallets spread out over a few days isn't too bad.

Like most projects, good results depend on the prep - good soil will help, but not necessary as long as the fill isn't total garbage. The quantity may be reduced if future landscaping, decking, fencing, etc, are considered & you won't later curse ripping up the grass you worked so hard to lay in the first place. Also, make sure the grade is crowned and smooth for good drainage.

Oh, thanks for not asking - I'll be busy that weekend!

rdlangston13
04-09-2013, 10:51 PM
well folks the builder has officially broke ground! Heidi sent me this picture, looks like it is leveled and they have received a load of lumber!

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/LeveledGround_zps4c5fe8b9.jpg

rdlangston13
04-10-2013, 11:01 PM
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/5AE19676-69CF-4254-AB54-5B6A52A831AE-2242-0000019E80C5F1F8_zps8f96e49a.jpg

got the foundation framed in

KG's Supra24
04-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Fun times ahead! Have everything picked out?

We are on week 3 or 4 of a renovation ourselves. Its alot of decisions!

rdlangston13
04-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Fun times ahead! Have everything picked out?

We are on week 3 or 4 of a renovation ourselves. Its alot of decisions!

we do but im always second guessing how it is going to look when it all comes together

sandm
04-11-2013, 05:43 AM
funny watching them build homes in the south where you just scrape off some dirt and pour a "foundation". no actual crawl space.

BobP
04-11-2013, 07:50 AM
No crawl? How about no basement? Very strange to see no excavation.

maxpower220
04-11-2013, 07:56 AM
What is a "basement"?

"Excavate" here in Florida and you will hit water.

rdlangston13
04-11-2013, 09:45 AM
What is a "basement"?

"Excavate" here in Florida and you will hit water.

About the same way here in Katy. I thought it was crazy when I visited my uncle in Chicago and we hung out down in the basement.

kaneboats
04-11-2013, 09:48 AM
No expectation of a basement down here. Miss the storage. Attics are HOT! But we live outside a lot more so we don't need the rec space so much.

Mikey
04-11-2013, 04:30 PM
A basement is the other half a house.... Almost. Funny we have them and its likely harder ground etc here than there yet it is very Normal for you Not to have them. Even Crawl spaces are virtually unheard of here.

We do have other issues to deal with . Namely a frost level of Aprox 8 ft. Which then means our Plumbing services are Deeper yet so that the plumbing in the basement has somewhere to go . A few exceptions are made and Plumbing is pumped UP, but then freezing issues are quite possible.Our water supply piping is Deep to avoid the frost.

As for square footage it usually adds nearly 1/3 to 1/2 to the size of the house depending on weather its a 2 story or Bungalow style house. Economically it makes way more sense i believe. Once basements are finished ,if done properly,can actually be warmer and or cooler than the rest of the house.

We, i must add are in a weather cliimate, Where heat is a Must most of the year and a very sellect few will opt for Air conditioning. This i know would be a big change from most of you Warm weather folks. We honestly have but a couple weeks a summer where AC would be a real nice thing.

Anyway to each his own and looking forward to seeing pics, hopefully of how some of the house is built etc. I'm a plumber doing new home construction, so its always interesting to see how things are done similar or different in different parts of the country..
Good luck on your new home..... Enjoy.

rdlangston13
05-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Got some concrete poured yesterday!

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps84e1236e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

wolfeman131
05-08-2013, 06:33 AM
Progress!!!

muehlcj
05-08-2013, 08:10 AM
No basements in Texas. Do most homes end up with and additional 1st, 2nd or garage space for storage?

sandm
05-08-2013, 08:59 AM
did ya get to scratch your initials in the concrete? :)

I did one house with a slab-on-grade foundation and I'll take joists anyday. it's easier on my old knees.. but it is the way they build em in the south.

chawk610
05-08-2013, 10:44 AM
I was thinking face print... Fool Heidi into putting her hands in it... then push hard on the back of the neck! :)

rdlangston13
05-08-2013, 11:05 AM
did ya get to scratch your initials in the concrete? :)

I did one house with a slab-on-grade foundation and I'll take joists anyday. it's easier on my old knees.. but it is the way they build em in the south.

I'm at work so I have not even seen it in over a week so no hand or face print for me.

And for storage we have attics and some use their garages. I prefer the attic since I like a clean open garage to park/work in

Sent from my iPhone

kaneboats
05-08-2013, 11:06 AM
No basements in Texas. Do most homes end up with and additional 1st, 2nd or garage space for storage?

Down south we don't need storage space for our parkas, snowshoes, etc. and don't need to hide from the cold for 6 months out of the year.

sandm
05-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I thought basements would be a good addition during hurricane season, but being from the north, I've never seen one ;)

wolfeman131
05-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Don't think I'd want to be down in a hole when a hurricane is raining down.

rdlangston13
05-08-2013, 05:40 PM
I thought basements would be a good addition during hurricane season, but being from the north, I've never seen one ;)

You're thinking of tornadoes, totally different element. Basement would be under water quick in a hurricane. Here is today's progress!

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps9bf0a4c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

rdlangston13
05-16-2013, 09:37 PM
The guys have been really getting to work on it. We met with the builder today to discuss where we wanted electrical plugs, cable outlets, ect ect. Here are some updated pictures

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps8e557799.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps6a1ed38a.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps6f6dbbae.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps84b6bb72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

kevkev
05-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Make sure you put outlets in the soffits. Also tell him to put 220 in the garage just in case you add a compressor or welding machine in the future. Also a cable drop in the garage is great :)

wolfeman131
05-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Once they start roughing in electric & plumbing, take pics and/or video. You will be able to know what's behind the drywall and hopefully not cause yourself headaches down the road by drilling, nailing, cutting into something important.

rdlangston13
05-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Once they start roughing in electric & plumbing, take pics and/or video. You will be able to know what's behind the drywall and hopefully not cause yourself headaches down the road by drilling, nailing, cutting into something important.

Yeah I told Heidi to take some pictures of it all. I'm on my way to work now and won't be back for 21 days, I may catch it before they drywall it and may not

Sent from my iPhone

patrick232
05-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Not only cable in the garage, I would run cat 5 every place. We ended up having to purchase a rocket fish network to get internet to the gaming systems and blueray in the basement. Wifi was too slow and would timeout.

In Ohio the only insulate the outer walls, not the interior walls. My neighbor went in an add to the interior walls and you can tell the sound does to travel like the other homes in the hood. Your a few years away from have running noise makers yet.

chawk610
05-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Looking great!

rdlangston13
05-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Not only cable in the garage, I would run cat 5 every place. We ended up having to purchase a rocket fish network to get internet to the gaming systems and blueray in the basement. Wifi was too slow and would timeout.

In Ohio the only insulate the outer walls, not the interior walls. My neighbor went in an add to the interior walls and you can tell the sound does to travel like the other homes in the hood. Your a few years away from have running noise makers yet.

We are running cat 5 from the office to the living room and master bedroom for streaming Netflix and stuff on TV. Also installing cable TV jacks in every room

Sent from my iPhone

bergermaister
05-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Exciting stuff - starting to look like a house!

I'd second the suggestion of insulation in the interior walls. Buddy of mine did that down his upstairs hallway and all the bedrooms and bonus/rec room when his house was built. Cost was pretty minimal. Benefits are huge.

rdlangston13
05-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Exciting stuff - starting to look like a house!

I'd second the suggestion of insulation in the interior walls. Buddy of mine did that down his upstairs hallway and all the bedrooms and bonus/rec room when his house was built. Cost was pretty minimal. Benefits are huge.

until you want to run a wire

we are done adding stuff, we have gone so far over our original budget it is unreal. the next house when we are not 25 and 26 will be built EXACTLY how we want with a larger budget hopefully. this just needs to get us through the next 10 years or so haha.

deerfield
05-17-2013, 08:13 PM
I'd second the suggestion of insulation in the interior walls. Benefits are huge.

Ditto. If you have limited time and resources, at least get the bathrooms. Also, make sure the contractor actually runs the bathroom ceiling vents to an outside wall or through the roof so they exhaust outside the house.

rdlangston13
05-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Plywood under your drywall also helps dampen noise and ALSO proviodes a good base to hang things from without having to fine a stud

cornrickey
05-17-2013, 11:33 PM
don't underestimate the value of a man garage

rdlangston13
05-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Heidi was kind enough to send me some pictures of todays updates! Enjoy!

arch ways for the dining room and kitchen
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps792d0042.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps792d0042.jpg.html)

view of the kitchen and breakfast area
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zpsd8405494.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zpsd8405494.jpg.html)

from the living room looking into the kitchen/breakfast area
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zpsf6a964f9.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zpsf6a964f9.jpg.html)

through the breakfast area into the back yard
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps74e0e7a6.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps74e0e7a6.jpg.html)

wolfeman131
05-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Nice looking pad!

rdlangston13
05-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Living Room
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps5f43028b.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps5f43028b.jpg.html)

from the living room looking into the office and hallway

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps8dc601fa.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps8dc601fa.jpg.html)

front of house
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps356039da.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps356039da.jpg.html)

back of house
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zpsbf49950e.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zpsbf49950e.jpg.html)

wolfeman131
05-18-2013, 08:57 PM
The backyard is perfect for a pool!

rdlangston13
05-18-2013, 09:02 PM
The backyard is perfect for a pool!

who needs a pool when you have a bayou??? hahaha

wolfeman131
05-19-2013, 11:22 AM
http://youtu.be/MKmejXZJN2M

maxpower220
05-19-2013, 05:44 PM
http://youtu.be/MKmejXZJN2M

perfect..........

bergermaister
05-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Nice view out the back - hopefully it will stay that way and not have more houses going in?

rdlangston13
05-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Nice view out the back - hopefully it will stay that way and not have more houses going in?

Well you see that is the very edge of what used to be a golf course (we just found out the golf course closed and sold out to a developer like a month ago :-(). Next to that golf course is a small ranch/farm, and I am sure they will sell eventually too but there is that bayou that is directly behind us, so even if they do start building there the bayou will still allow a decent amount of separation.

My main fear with that neighbor hood being developed is traffic. Ave D (the main drag in Old Town Katy) is pretty much perfect trafffic wise right now, you had a couple hundred more houses and the it could start turning into a nightmare. Needless to say we are not thrilled about this, and all the houses in our neighborhood that were on the golf course and consequently had to put up iron fences are not happy either.... Like if I would have known that about the golf course before we started all this we would probably not be building here. I try my best to ignore it.

kaneboats
05-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Coming along nicely!

jmvotto
05-21-2013, 09:19 PM
David, looks great

Run speaker wire to all the rooms you may want audio in. I wish I did it in ours
It was an after thought

rdlangston13
05-21-2013, 10:20 PM
David, looks great

Run speaker wire to all the rooms you may want audio in. I wish I did it in ours
It was an after thought

We are getting the back patio pre-wired for outdoor speakers and the living room for a surround set up as part of the deal with the builder but we still want some in the master bathroom. I will probably just run those myself or maybe when I get home from work in two weeks I will still have a chance to do it.

maxpower220
05-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Run HDMI cables and wall electric outlets where the TVs will be mounted on the wall. Also, have cable and telephone outlets run to every room.

My house was built in 93 (not by me) and it has a seperate office. The only room in the whole house without a telephone jack is the office. How is that???? I have a jack in the laundry room and outside on the porch!!!!! The one room that would need a telephone jack for a fax or a telephone is the office.

kaneboats
05-22-2013, 10:16 AM
We are getting the back patio pre-wired for outdoor speakers and the living room for a surround set up as part of the deal with the builder but we still want some in the master bathroom. I will probably just run those myself or maybe when I get home from work in two weeks I will still have a chance to do it.

Better make sure you talk to the builder or electrician about this. I had a friend who went over to his house and added speaker wire and cat and some coax. They ripped it all out. He was pi$$$$ed. Clear it ahead of time so there is no misunderstanding. I do recommend doing as much of this ahead of time as you can. I noticed a lot of blocks in the stud walls in your pics. Those make it very hard to run wires down the walls later.

rdlangston13
05-22-2013, 02:21 PM
We are getting cat 5 to the master, living room and office, cable to every room, HDMI and an electric socket up high on the wall where the TV is going to be, and living and back patio pre wired for speakers. We have already spoken to the builder about these things and are good to go. I didn't even think about telephone jacks, we don't plan on having a home phone but I guess it would be good to have just in case

Sent from my iPhone

KG's Supra24
05-22-2013, 02:28 PM
The telephone jack kinda made me chuckle. Glad to you hear you got it all done now on the front end. We are working on a remodel and I was supposed to have the whole house wired and one electrician after another flaked on doing the work. I'm likely going to end up with Sonos so if anyone has bad reviews, pm me.

Progress is awesome! Bet yall are excited. Going to have to shop for furniture or moving alot of it in?

rdlangston13
05-22-2013, 04:15 PM
The telephone jack kinda made me chuckle. Glad to you hear you got it all done now on the front end. We are working on a remodel and I was supposed to have the whole house wired and one electrician after another flaked on doing the work. I'm likely going to end up with Sonos so if anyone has bad reviews, pm me.

Progress is awesome! Bet yall are excited. Going to have to shop for furniture or moving alot of it in?

We own pretty much 0 furniture so we will be spending ALOT of money once again when the house is finished.....now I just need SLB stock to jump over 100 bucks a share and we will be good to go!

KG's Supra24
05-22-2013, 04:17 PM
I always found that my best furniture shopping performances were always full of nodding and smiling. ;)

bergermaister
05-22-2013, 04:36 PM
and "yes dear" and "I'll go get the truck"...

mmandley
05-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Better make sure you talk to the builder or electrician about this. I had a friend who went over to his house and added speaker wire and cat and some coax. They ripped it all out. He was pi$$$$ed. Clear it ahead of time so there is no misunderstanding. I do recommend doing as much of this ahead of time as you can. I noticed a lot of blocks in the stud walls in your pics. Those make it very hard to run wires down the walls later.

I ran into this when we had our home built 2 years ago. I was smart and added it as one of the conditions when we closed, so when it came time and i asked my builder he was like ohh hell no you cant do anything to the house. I showed him my contract and he was like ok ok on this day, at this time, get it done.

SO i did all that, ran cable to all the rooms, ran phone, cat 5, and speakers to all the rooms, outside, ran video survalence wires to all areas i wanted hiden cameras in.

Problem came at Electrical inspection time. The builders electrical passed but mine failed because i had no permit.
I had to goto the next larger town and get a permit even though all my wire is considered low voltage.

Once i got the permit the electrical guy signed off and they drywalled.

Moral is make sure your area doesnt require a low voltage permit since you are doing the work yourself.
Other wise it will hold up your house build and in the end you could get fined by the builder for delaying his build schedule.

rdlangston13
05-22-2013, 07:36 PM
I ran into this when we had our home built 2 years ago. I was smart and added it as one of the conditions when we closed, so when it came time and i asked my builder he was like ohh hell no you cant do anything to the house. I showed him my contract and he was like ok ok on this day, at this time, get it done.

SO i did all that, ran cable to all the rooms, ran phone, cat 5, and speakers to all the rooms, outside, ran video survalence wires to all areas i wanted hiden cameras in.

Problem came at Electrical inspection time. The builders electrical passed but mine failed because i had no permit.
I had to goto the next larger town and get a permit even though all my wire is considered low voltage.

Once i got the permit the electrical guy signed off and they drywalled.

Moral is make sure your area doesnt require a low voltage permit since you are doing the work yourself.
Other wise it will hold up your house build and in the end you could get fined by the builder for delaying his build schedule.

The builder is doing all the wiring i mentioned above. I don't really have the most flexible work schedule when it comes to being home at the right time in the build process to do these things myself.

kaneboats
05-23-2013, 11:16 AM
That's for sure. Good for you-- good planning.

rdlangston13
05-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Heidis brother cruised by the house today and snapped some shots...

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps681f5a59.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps681f5a59.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zpsa23fc3f4.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zpsa23fc3f4.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps3a0a5b92.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps3a0a5b92.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps79ac96a4.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps79ac96a4.jpg.html)

New Guy
05-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Its getting there bud! Looks great.

newty
05-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Coming along. You gotta be stoked!

Sent from my iPhone 5... ya right!

moombahighrider
05-24-2013, 10:45 AM

Kg, my business is home theater/ sound systems/ low voltage stuff. I am a Sonos dealer And install it on 90% of my jobs. I would be happy to discuss it with you. Let me know and we can get on the phone or email about it. It's an awesome product and very flexible. It has some small cons, depending on how you plan to use it. There are other products too that might be a good fit for you.

kaneboats
05-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Nice offer right there. Love this place.

rdlangston13
05-24-2013, 01:24 PM
whats is sonos?

maxpower220
05-24-2013, 04:27 PM
I think it is an anagram

wolfeman131
05-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Or a palindrome.

Racecar

moombahighrider
05-25-2013, 08:40 AM
whats is sonos?

www.sonos.com/system

Check it out!

rdlangston13
05-25-2013, 01:09 PM
so this does not really require any installation huh? Its all wireless aside from a 110V outlet?

moombahighrider
05-25-2013, 02:33 PM
so this does not really require any installation huh? Its all wireless aside from a 110V outlet?

Yes and no, depending on which Sonos products you are looking at. I prefer to pull speaker wire and install flush mounted speakers in the wall/ ceiling and then use the Sonos connect amp to power them. That is the cleanest option, but if that's not possible, the play3/ play5/ playbar work great if you have an electrical outlet at the location you want sound. They also have a wireless sub, which does a great job.

moombahighrider
05-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Also, At least one of the units requires being connected to your network/ Internet. It then creates a mesh wireless network that allows the other Sonos units to connect to the system. If you can't have one if the units hardwired to the network, you will need a bridge hardwired to activate the wireless mesh.

rdlangston13
05-25-2013, 05:21 PM
So you have to have either a speaker by the router or a bridge?

Sent from my iPhone

moombahighrider
05-25-2013, 06:19 PM
So you have to have either a speaker by the router or a bridge?

Sent from my iPhone

Yes, you need to have at least one Sonos piece hardwired to the router. Then, each additional piece extends the wireless mesh network. All you need to be concerned with is that any one piece is not too far away from the nearest piece that it can't pick up the wireless. FYI, the wireless is the same technology that network WiFi is, so that might help you figure out your relative range.

rdlangston13
06-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Ok so I have been at work for three weeks but we went by and checked out the progress as soon as I got home. Looks like the drywall and brick guys have been getting after it!

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps7f7c3cad.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zpsc62f787f.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps7bcd85e7.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps5338b451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

rdlangston13
06-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Some exterior

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps5c3cabdf.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps27407228.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps1b7f5b28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

wolfeman131
06-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Getting after it, for sure! Looking good.

rdlangston13
06-28-2013, 03:51 PM
An update of how it looked when I left for work, should be getting cabinets installed today!

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04185_zpsfc4b4a87.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04185_zpsfc4b4a87.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04186_zps1204a3dd.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04186_zps1204a3dd.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04187_zps04cc044f.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04187_zps04cc044f.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04191_zpsbcb03990.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04191_zpsbcb03990.jpg.html)

rdlangston13
06-28-2013, 03:52 PM
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04193_zps95c1ae8f.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04193_zps95c1ae8f.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04195_zps19a782ea.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04195_zps19a782ea.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04201_zps9a82bdb1.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04201_zps9a82bdb1.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04204_zps96ed4219.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04204_zps96ed4219.jpg.html)

rdlangston13
06-28-2013, 03:54 PM
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04204_zps96ed4219.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04204_zps96ed4219.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04205_zps01915b80.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04205_zps01915b80.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04208_zpse3926889.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04208_zpse3926889.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04210_zps1270d175.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04210_zps1270d175.jpg.html)

kaneboats
06-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Looks like nice archways, tray ceilings and a nice walk in closet. Coming right along.

deerfield
06-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Agreed. Really like the arches.

E4NASH
06-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Wow! That has a lot if the same features my house in TN had. Very similar. Lookin good man!

zabooda
06-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Excellent apex shot.

KG's Supra24
06-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Looks great. Lots of nice features. Have you mentioned the time schedule?

Jealous of your closets. I'm going to miss our old ones that were similar to that.

wolfeman131
06-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Nice! Real happy for you & Heidi!!!

sandm
06-29-2013, 08:12 AM
looks great. that tray ceiling would look great with some crown and hidden ropelight. sets the mood :)

deerfield
06-29-2013, 08:24 AM
Excellent apex shot.

What? What is an "apex shot."

rdlangston13
06-29-2013, 08:31 AM
the time frame is 3-4 weeks to completion so it shouldn't be long.

rdlangston13
07-07-2013, 08:38 PM
So in the last week we got lights, a fence, cabinets, and tile! Enjoy!

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04319_zpsbd36e6eb.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04319_zpsbd36e6eb.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04320_zps88b66086.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04320_zps88b66086.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04321_zps083e4220.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04321_zps083e4220.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04322_zpse76ee92f.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04322_zpse76ee92f.jpg.html)

rdlangston13
07-07-2013, 08:40 PM
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04323_zpsb4b2e6be.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04323_zpsb4b2e6be.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04324_zps15b6b7fd.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04324_zps15b6b7fd.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04325_zps4d8fc2c5.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04325_zps4d8fc2c5.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04326_zps5549a651.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04326_zps5549a651.jpg.html)

rdlangston13
07-07-2013, 08:42 PM
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04327_zps3be21a75.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04327_zps3be21a75.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04328_zps00ae1dec.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04328_zps00ae1dec.jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04329_zps876169a4.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/DSC04329_zps876169a4.jpg.html)

kaneboats
07-08-2013, 09:16 AM
It's really shaping up nicely. The tile looks so cool and comfortable. Make sure you seal it with "Sealer's Choice". Nothing else works like this stuff and you'll be so glad you did.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/aqua-mix/sealers/aqua-mix-sealer%E2%80%99s-choice-gold-rapid-cure-formula.aspx

rdlangston13
07-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, sealing it is definitely on our pre move in check list. We also plan to paint the garage floor with that grey gloss paint with the specs to prevent oil spots

Sent from my iPhone

kaneboats
07-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Have a buddy who did that stuff. Works great. So cool. Wish I could have done mine.

wolfeman131
07-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, sealing it is definitely on our pre move in check list. We also plan to paint the garage floor with that grey gloss paint with the specs to prevent oil spots

that stuff is an epoxy and while it says, "dry to touch in 18 hrs," the last kit I looked at said it took a week to cure. I may be off on the time, but I know that you couldn't reload the garage and drive on it for a good amount of time and I didn't want to store all my junk on the lawn for that long.

rdlangston13
07-08-2013, 07:05 PM
This is why I want to do it before we move in. My buddy did his house and he said don't walk on it for 2 days

Sent from my iPhone

wolfeman131
07-08-2013, 09:41 PM
This is why I want to do it before we move in. My buddy did his house and he said don't walk on it for 2 days

Sent from my iPhone

Good plan! House looks great!

jmvotto
07-08-2013, 10:18 PM
House looks wonderful, congrats to you and Heidi .

kaneboats
07-09-2013, 09:04 AM

There used to be one brand of that floor epoxy that would never quite get over being tacky. Check with the pros and make sure you get one that dries up and feels smooth, not tacky. Can't remember which one is the one to avoid. Maybe check online feedback/reviews of different products. Or, if your friend is happy with his, use the same brand. Just be careful cuz I know one of them is bad stuff.

rdlangston13
07-16-2013, 10:22 AM
This last weeks progress! Got some granite and some doors!

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04419_zpsb392e37a.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04420_zpsa40d270a.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04422_zps7af9cfd5.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04423_zps64089e8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

rdlangston13
07-16-2013, 10:24 AM
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04424_zpse1db8022.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04425_zps978e7cfe.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04426_zps12ad9735.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04428_zpsd5011b18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

rdlangston13
07-16-2013, 10:25 AM
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/DSC04429_zps9d1e346c.jpg

Just about a week or so remaining! Getting close!

Sent from my iPhone

bergermaister
07-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Looks awesome David! Makes me want to build a house just that much more.

KG's Supra24
07-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Coming along good! You better not be in before me, lol.

These new construction pics look so clean and organized.

rdlangston13
07-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Kyle, We have a week to a week and a half...but I won't be there for three weeks

Sent from my iPhone

KG's Supra24
07-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Kyle, We have a week to a week and a half...but I won't be there for three weeks

Good, I'm going to need that full 3 weeks. Ha

We have 95% of the remodel done. Now it's just moving stuff in and rearranging. You will be there soon :) Need to figure out a way to be out of town then!

rdlangston13
07-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Quick Little Update, completion is getting ever closer...

we have a yard!
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps85570583.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps85570583.jpg.html)

taping has been removed from the glass on the doors and carpet installed
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps4f281a3d.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps4f281a3d.jpg.html)

faucets installed, along with drop down lights and power is on
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps4c83987e.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps4c83987e.jpg.html)

toilets and towel rods are in the bathrooms (guest bath)
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps095f7f6b.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps095f7f6b.jpg.html)

rdlangston13
07-24-2013, 07:27 PM
master bath shot
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps70f4d69c.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps70f4d69c.jpg.html)

looking into master bath
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps7c944b42.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps7c944b42.jpg.html)

got little shelves put in the master shower
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zpsa1f60561.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zpsa1f60561.jpg.html)

half bath has a toilet and sink, just needs to be touched up
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps5b4f74ca.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/null_zps5b4f74ca.jpg.html)

maxpower220
07-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Are they going to put knobs on the cabinets? If not, it gets expensive to do it.

wolfeman131
07-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Quick Little Update, completion is getting ever closer...

we have a yard!

WOW! what a great looking place. congrats again.

what about out back? you still planning to put sod down yourself?

rdlangston13
07-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Cody found someone on Craigslist that did his house pretty cheap so i figure I will use them also for the sod. It was like 160 a pallet laid or something.

And no there are no knobs on the cabinets, I will be adding those in the future

Sent from my iPhone

wolfeman131
07-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Cody found someone on Craigslist that did his house pretty cheap so i figure I will use them also for the sod. It was like 160 a pallet laid or something.

And no there are no knobs on the cabinets, I will be adding those in the future

good deal on the sod.

make, or buy, a template for when you go to install the knobs. It will speed up the process and ensure consistency. But, as maxpower said, watch out as those things can run $5+ each and some drawer pulls are more.

rdlangston13
07-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah I had already planned to make a template if I didn't come with one. And I don't think we plan to knob anything other than the kitchen

Sent from my iPhone

KG's Supra24
07-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Awesome progress! Bet ya'll are ready.

maxpower220
07-25-2013, 12:39 PM
I bought a house with no knobs on anything. It was a little plain and we added then. Even in bulk at HD or Lowes, it adds up quick. Yes, make a basic template, it's pretty easy.

kaneboats
07-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Buy your knobs online. I think we had to get 111 handles for all the cabinets in the house last year. After pricing from the box stores I was set to buy online and then told my friend at Kitchen Tune Up and he ordered them for me at cost. Great to have friends who are in the business.

rdlangston13
07-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Is kitchen tune up a good site to use?

Sent from my iPhone

kaneboats
07-29-2013, 04:14 PM
No idea. I actually ordered out of one of his catalogues. I think the site I was going to use was:

http://www.knobs4less.com/Amerock-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-Collection/amerockorb.html

Best to figure out exactly what you want and then search on the exact name or model.

ryan_8099
07-29-2013, 04:41 PM
I thought I would chime in since I just went through the whole knob debacle for my house. This is what I went with and they look great:

http://www.menards.com/main/bath/bath-cabinetry/knobs-pulls/p135-pulls-savannah-collection-10-pkg/p-1628589-c-9341.htm

I believe Amazon also has 'Hickory Hardware' project packs, but these were available locally for me. All depends how fancy you want as well. I was able to sell the ones that were in my house from the 80s as 'vintage' and upgrade to these ones for <$20 :D

rdlangston13
07-29-2013, 04:47 PM
I thought I would chime in since I just went through the whole knob debacle for my house. This is what I went with and they look great:

http://www.menards.com/main/bath/bath-cabinetry/knobs-pulls/p135-pulls-savannah-collection-10-pkg/p-1628589-c-9341.htm

I believe Amazon also has 'Hickory Hardware' project packs, but these were available locally for me. All depends how fancy you want as well. I was able to sell the ones that were in my house from the 80s as 'vintage' and upgrade to these ones for <$20 :D

Thats awesome if you have something to sell. We will probably just out fit the kitchen first, then do the bathrooms later to spread out the stick shock

KG's Supra24
07-29-2013, 05:19 PM
I think we ended up spending around $300 on pulls for the kitchen. I got them from Lowe's, using their card for the discount, and didn't think they were terribly priced. That's one item we didn't shop around a ton, though.

Like you mentioned, you can always do rooms at a time. I haven't skimmed pictures of kitchens lately but it probably makes sense to do lower cabinets and not the uppers in the kitchen.

KG's Supra24
07-29-2013, 05:41 PM
^ I think that was only like 25'ish handles, though. LOL, not 111!

bergermaister
07-29-2013, 06:25 PM
We just freshened up the kitchen as well. I was into Lowes $250-300 all said and done for the hardware. ~22 cabinet knobs, ~16 pull handles. Couldn't find the style we wanted in bulk packs. But then of course we had to do all the hinges to match, pantry door knob and hinges, etc. and the price keeps going up...

Why is it the faucet that matches the new handles best is also the most expensive of the lot?

rdlangston13
07-29-2013, 07:09 PM
We just freshened up the kitchen as well. I was into Lowes $250-300 all said and done for the hardware. ~22 cabinet knobs, ~16 pull handles. Couldn't find the style we wanted in bulk packs. But then of course we had to do all the hinges to match, pantry door knob and hinges, etc. and the price keeps going up...

Why is it the faucet that matches the new handles best is also the most expensive of the lot?

Faucets can get crazy expensive and it seems to be primarily based on how they look and not so much on how they work. People will pay for that "look" they are going for i guess.

rdlangston13
07-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Ok here are some. Should be ready for our final walk through Friday and hopefully we will be getting the keys!

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/970837_10101590780999017_1372980302_n_zps8771b69c. jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/970837_10101590780999017_1372980302_n_zps8771b69c. jpg.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/1000308_10101590785475047_2091044275_n_zpsf35ae601 .jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/1000308_10101590785475047_2091044275_n_zpsf35ae601 .jpg.html)

kitchen
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/998747_10101590785115767_1569391886_n_zpse0d2f1e2. jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/998747_10101590785115767_1569391886_n_zpse0d2f1e2. jpg.html)

half bath
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/998747_10101590788878227_90596564_n_zps99a835b2.jp g (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/998747_10101590788878227_90596564_n_zps99a835b2.jp g.html)

kaneboats
07-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Just remember. Oil rubbed bronze Rustoleum is your friend. I have "restored" light fixtures, door handles, ceiling fans, etc. with this stuff. Looks like you spent a fortune.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/22796179?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227016994243&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=25353544596&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=50579226396&veh=sem

Oops, this post was at the same time as David's last. Nice looking house. Hope all goes smoothly.

rdlangston13
07-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Master toilet
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/603058_10101590785689617_230469564_n_zps091af8d7.j pg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/603058_10101590785689617_230469564_n_zps091af8d7.j pg.html)

master shower
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/16582_10101590784112777_815185628_n_zps38f935b5.jp g (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/16582_10101590784112777_815185628_n_zps38f935b5.jp g.html)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/999569_10101590785989017_697838810_n_zpse5eac885.j pg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/999569_10101590785989017_697838810_n_zpse5eac885.j pg.html)

master tub
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/1016423_10101590783503997_1498141966_n_zpsf7065be5 .jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/1016423_10101590783503997_1498141966_n_zpsf7065be5 .jpg.html)

rdlangston13
07-29-2013, 09:34 PM
guest bath
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/1011540_10101590786772447_53319298_n_zpsbc677185.j pg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/1011540_10101590786772447_53319298_n_zpsbc677185.j pg.html)

maxpower220
07-30-2013, 08:17 AM
Can they get white tape to match the tub?

What is that all about?

rdlangston13
07-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Can they get white tape to match the tub?

What is that all about?

Pretty sure its just holding it in place while the caulking sets up i guess...

rdlangston13
08-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Got the epoxy down on the garage floor and a little extra interior painting done

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps832c65aa.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zpsf7905b9a.jpg

Added a chair rail and 2 tone paint to the dining room

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps90160f2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

rdlangston13
08-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Got a refrigerator to help finish out the kitchen today and some sod for the back yard yesterday!

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zpsb399d658.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/null_zps82eebe76.jpg

Pretty sure we won't be able to move anything in until right after I go to work.... Go figure

Sent from my iPhone

rca
08-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Looks great David.

kaneboats
08-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Starting to look like home. That's a good thing.

newty
08-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Very nice!

wolfeman131
08-21-2013, 01:12 PM
pretty sure that ain't Heidi throwing down the sod.
'
good call.

rdlangston13
08-21-2013, 01:48 PM
pretty sure that ain't Heidi throwing down the sod.
'
good call.

It was 155 a pallet installed for Bermuda, at that price it was an easy decision. However we were one pallet short so i will be laying the final pallet solo tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone

kaneboats
08-21-2013, 02:07 PM
I put down a pallet this year in a dead area around a tree-- ripped out some ugly bushes and bricks and just sodded the whole area. It was about 95 out. Man, my 13 y/o twin boys were beat after that one! Unfortunately I could not help much as carrying sod one handed doesn't work too well. Much too hot to set the beer down.

newty
08-21-2013, 02:17 PM
I put down a pallet this year in a dead area around a tree-- ripped out some ugly bushes and bricks and just sodded the whole area. It was about 95 out. Man, my 13 y/o twin boys were beat after that one! Unfortunately I could not help much as carrying sod one handed doesn't work too well. Much too hot to set the beer down.

Priorities man, priorities!

jmvotto
08-21-2013, 09:04 PM
David, looks awesome great choices.
Wait til you have to move, we just moved a last Friday, 2 miles away. Crazy, I am beat and missing my xlv.

Cigars n scotch
08-21-2013, 10:58 PM
the place is looking great, really like all the pics. moving sucks! just did it, and i'll be moving again soon when we find a new house as we're temporarily in an apartment while searching.

really like the details. what are the specs on the house again? (sq. footage and all) did you customize the depth of the garage to keep the boat?

rdlangston13
08-27-2013, 02:53 AM
the place is looking great, really like all the pics. moving sucks! just did it, and i'll be moving again soon when we find a new house as we're temporarily in an apartment while searching.

really like the details. what are the specs on the house again? (sq. footage and all) did you customize the depth of the garage to keep the boat?

Specs!
House is 2,217 sq ft without the garage about 2,700 with the garage.
2 car garage (garage is standard size, I would have like to make it long enough to fit the boat buuuuut it did not make financial sense, 115 mile tow to the lake each, currently the boat is stored 2 miles from lake house and storage is way cheaper than gas).
House is 3 Bedrooms, 2.5 Bathrooms, and an office. We tiled everything but the Bedrooms and the office to aide in cleaning since we have two small dogs.

The best part about this house is we have like 4 cops that live in our neighbor hood, the Katy police dept is about 1.5 miles away, Heidis parents are like 2 miles away, and my parents are like 6 miles away. This is a big deal for us since I am out of town so often for work. And for the time being we have a cow pasture behind the house so it seems a little country haha.

Cigars n scotch
08-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Very nice congrats again! So wait, you travel 115 miles to your boat each time you go out on it? You're in the same "boat" as our friends who make a 2 hr trip every weekend just to go out on the boat one day out of the weekend. Did I misinterpret that wrong?

rdlangston13
09-27-2013, 03:38 AM
Very nice congrats again! So wait, you travel 115 miles to your boat each time you go out on it? You're in the same "boat" as our friends who make a 2 hr trip every weekend just to go out on the boat one day out of the weekend. Did I misinterpret that wrong?

Well luckily we very very rarely just make a day trip, my fiance's parents own a lake house and she is a nurse and has flexible three day a week schedule and I am off 2 weeks a month so we usually go for large periods of time. like 3-4 days. We have done the day trip thing before though, makes for a long day. But yeah, every time we go on the boat its a 2 hour 115 mile drive each way, partly because the water on the river is the best around. There are a few lakes about an hour away but one more hour of driving and we have endless glass.

rdlangston13
09-27-2013, 03:45 AM
Ok so we have finally started moving in! I went at it basically alone for 3 days last week so not a lot got done but we are living there. I am back at work now and Heidi is working on the small stuff and I have a few large items left. It still looks fairly empty but I will throw some shots up for yall anyways!

our new sofas and rug
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/IMG_1790_zpsaeb7a06e.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/IMG_1790_zpsaeb7a06e.jpg.html)

old school dlp style tv (70" LED will be purchased soon)
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/IMG_1792_zps3bd3cbb7.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/IMG_1792_zps3bd3cbb7.jpg.html)

new bedroom set, we went from a double to a king and the difference is unreal. there is also a dresser and chest not pictured all part of the same set. solid mahogony wood, its heavy stuff!
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/IMG_1793_zps26ab6cf5.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/IMG_1793_zps26ab6cf5.jpg.html)

here is our kitchen table, this is before i assembled the chairs
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/IMG_1775_zpsf87d5187.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/IMG_1775_zpsf87d5187.jpg.html)

rdlangston13
09-27-2013, 03:48 AM
we got some cabinets in the laundry room as well, they came a little late since the builder forgot to order them but late is better than never!

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/IMG_1789_zpsd146c198.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/IMG_1789_zpsd146c198.jpg.html)

I also got a hand from Cody from the forum, he gave me hand putting up blinds one night and moving a bed. We have the 2.5" faux blinds through out the house in white.

kaneboats
09-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Nothing like a KING. Can't believe they make anything else. Place is really shaping up.

bergermaister
09-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Lookin great David!

Nothing like trying to move stuff in and setup solo without scratching, dinging, denting anything....

wolfeman131
09-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Yep, looking great!

deerfield
09-28-2013, 07:26 AM
David - What service comes through the three wall outlets located above the TV? - Stuart

rdlangston13
09-28-2013, 07:52 AM
David - What service comes through the three wall outlets located above the TV? - Stuart

One is 110V electrical outlet, one is a HDMI that goes down to where the components will be on shelf on the ground, and one is Ethernet that goes to the office where the router is so we can hardwire the smart tv for Netflix and won't have to worry about lagging wifi connections

Sent from my iPhone

Cigars n scotch
09-28-2013, 06:25 PM
it is all really coming together and looking great, congrats to you both! I'll be in the same boat as you in a couple of weeks after we close on our house Oct. 9th (moving stuff in alone). I am going to hire some big man help though to get the furniture from A to B.

A double to a king? Man you must be in HEAVEN! that new king must be like you and Heidi are in different states. Are you going to wall mount the new TV or keep it on a stand?

rdlangston13
09-28-2013, 09:40 PM
it is all really coming together and looking great, congrats to you both! I'll be in the same boat as you in a couple of weeks after we close on our house Oct. 9th (moving stuff in alone). I am going to hire some big man help though to get the furniture from A to B.

A double to a king? Man you must be in HEAVEN! that new king must be like you and Heidi are in different states. Are you going to wall mount the new TV or keep it on a stand?

When we get the new TV for the living room (hopefully early next year) it will be wall mounted, that was the idea of having the connections placed up high on the wall when they built it. Trying to plan ahead. And yeah the one night we were both home at the same time so far was crazy, i can sleep at 45 degree angle and not even come into her area. I am ready to get home from work and enjoy it all some more but I'm stuck in Korea until like Oct 16. Blahh.