PDA

View Full Version : Back-up camera

Boatdrinks797
03-25-2013, 10:48 PM
The back up camera in my car has become increasingly cloudy, almost to the point where it is useless. You can see some general shapes in the daytime, but nothing at night. I'm thinking that it is a scratched lens cover from wiping it with a glove/finger when it is loaded up with dirt, slush and ice. The dealer wants a staggering $1200 to replace the entire camera and I'm thinking it might just be a scratched lens cover that could be resurfaced or buffed...Can these lens covers be buffed out or cleaned up without replacing the entire camera?

moombadaze
03-26-2013, 08:34 AM
try some soft compound to start with, then some wax--cant hurt at this point. you should be able to purchace just the lense portion seperate, call the dealers part dept and ask

kaneboats
03-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I'd check with a local camera store and see if they have any advice. I'm sure they are used to dealing with much more expensive lenses.

LakePerson1952
03-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I've been looking at after market backup camera systems and with all of them you can either buy a "kit" or buy the camera and display separately. Once you know whether your display works with wired or wireless cameras, you should be able to purchase almost any "backup camera", mount it, wire it to the backup light circuit for power, connect the camera to the display (via wireless or wired connection), and go. The cameras are pretty cheap.

E4NASH
03-28-2013, 11:36 AM
I have an Audiovox camera that attaches behind the license plate and connects to my Pioneer inDash DVD receiver. Works great and much cheaper than others. I've had it for about 3 years on two different trucks. The shop that installed it says it is MUCH better than most of the aftermarket ones. I trust this shop so much that I live in ATL but if I was going to have any work done on my truck that I didn't want to do I'd take it back to Memphis for them to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk