PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light

tnbrooks01
03-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Took the new boat out last Friday to start break in hours and had no problems at all. Not that it matters much but it was 75 degrees and sunny outside and water was 50 degrees.
On Thursday my new prop came in so we switched from the stock 537 to the 1433.
Today we went back out to the lake for an open house at the marina. Did a few passes by the docks to show the boats. Didn't appear to have any problems but the check engine light came on. All fluids were good and no problems with gauges aside from light. I was told possible that the heater was pulling too much off the battery when it was running at idle or low rpm.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ian ashton
03-24-2013, 11:32 AM
I've never had the heater draw enough current at idle to trip the check engine light - once I had all LEDs and stereo on with heater full blast at idle and it tripped the breaker, but that was it.

mmandley
03-24-2013, 11:50 AM
We are headed out ill see if i notice any issues the same. If i recall on the LSV the little Red light by the Lanyard would stay on when going very slow, and idle..Not positive though as i didnt pay it much attention LOL.

tnbrooks01
03-24-2013, 03:31 PM
We are headed out ill see if i notice any issues the same. If i recall on the LSV the little Red light by the Lanyard would stay on when going very slow, and idle..Not positive though as i didnt pay it much attention LOL.

Yes on my 2010 that light would stay on until I reached about 1200rpms. However on the 2013 I have that light which operates the same as well as a check engine light by the key on the dash.

rdlangston13
03-24-2013, 06:00 PM
I think if you shut it off and try to refire it up in gear it will trip a check engine light for a few cycles

Sent from my iPhone

mmandley
03-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Yes on my 2010 that light would stay on until I reached about 1200rpms. However on the 2013 I have that light which operates the same as well as a check engine light by the key on the dash.

Was out all day and more then 1/2 the time this light was on.

I'm going to have to call the dealer. I noticed it on when i had the ballast full but when i drained it it went off. Something isn't right here.

Tgraf1
03-25-2013, 01:48 AM
Have a 2011 Mobius LSV, We had it out for the first time a couple of years ago and freaked out about the light under the throttle that would be on during idle. Finally after 15 minutes of worrying got down and read the notice under it and realized that at 1200RPM or lower, light is on because of oil pressure. Then 4 weeks later or so, went to accelerate to pull wakeboarder up and engine wouldnt throttle up, looked down and realized engine light next to ignition was on and shut off engine immediately. Let sit for 10 minutes, started engine again, light still on. Shut down again and unhooked positive battery terminal, let sit 10 minutes, re-connected terminal. Started engine once again and light was off. After we pulled out boat that day, checked everything, all good.

mmandley
03-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Just talked to the dealer. They asked me to look at a couple things to make sure it wasn't something super simple.

I am going to add some Stabil in the fuel as i know its older from Oct when we went out in Cali. So might be fuel going bad.

Also Dealer said you can get the check engine light due to Emissions, the engine wont go into limp mode because its ok but the CEL comes on because emissions is out of its parameter.

This might explain the light while surfing but not wake boarding.

Hope to get the boat out again next weekend if the weather holds and can experiment more.

Eighter way dealer said bring the boat in and they will run a scan on it and they can look back to when the light first came on and check things out even if the light isn't currently coming on.

tnbrooks01
03-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks, great feedback! I will be back at the marina later this week so we can take a look at then.

myster
03-26-2013, 02:03 PM
I have an 08 XLV and that annoying light has been on for a few years now. I have seen threads like this come and go a few times. It's some kind of electrical glitch common to Moomba for sure and I would imagine Supra. It's a bit concerning at first 'til you realize your boat is operating fine ! I can't believe that 5 years later they still have this issue, probably your guages will start falling thru the dash soon too

ian ashton
03-26-2013, 05:37 PM
So you guys are talking about 2 different lights, right?

Check engine is by the key - this is what goes on from engine fault codes, etc

Check V-Drive (or something like that) is below the throttle, and I think goes on if the boat is in hear underway at low rpm. I noticed it on Chase's boat and that's what the dealer told us.

mmandley
03-26-2013, 05:41 PM
So you guys are talking about 2 different lights, right?

Check engine is by the key - this is what goes on from engine fault codes, etc

Check V-Drive (or something like that) is below the throttle, and I think goes on if the boat is in hear underway at low rpm. I noticed it on Chase's boat and that's what the dealer told us.

Yes this is the Yellow light by the blower switch.

My red light below the lanyard is on too but only at idle which is normal.

chadjitsu1
04-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Hey guys I have a 2007 LSV and there are 2 lights under the throttle. One of the lights is the v-drive light for low oil pressure. I know about that one and why it turns off and on all the time. The other one is for the engine. Today, the first day of the year, taking the boat out that light would not go off. From the time I started the boat till I put it away 5 hours later that light stayed on.

I recently did a ballast upgrade where I put new reversible pumps in, one per bag. I pulled out all the old wiring and the old wiring harness with fuse block. I am hoping that I didn't pull something out that I needed to keep this light off. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of this or know what things would turn this light on. I don't think that I pulled any needed wires out but maybe I did, or maybe I unplugged something and didn't plug it back in.

BTW the ballast upgrade works freakin awesome, love it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to drag the boat to the dealer and pay a large amount for them to tell me to just plug in a connector.

jmvotto
04-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Could be beginning of the year battery issue. Should go away with three engine cycles of full temp, cool off. X 3

mmandley
04-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Hey guys I have a 2007 LSV and there are 2 lights under the throttle. One of the lights is the v-drive light for low oil pressure. I know about that one and why it turns off and on all the time. The other one is for the engine. Today, the first day of the year, taking the boat out that light would not go off. From the time I started the boat till I put it away 5 hours later that light stayed on.

I recently did a ballast upgrade where I put new reversible pumps in, one per bag. I pulled out all the old wiring and the old wiring harness with fuse block. I am hoping that I didn't pull something out that I needed to keep this light off. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of this or know what things would turn this light on. I don't think that I pulled any needed wires out but maybe I did, or maybe I unplugged something and didn't plug it back in.

BTW the ballast upgrade works freakin awesome, love it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to drag the boat to the dealer and pay a large amount for them to tell me to just plug in a connector.

I cant think of what that second light is.

I know my Check Engine Light i was concerned with in the earlier part of this thread cleared up when i added new fuel to the boat. Looks like when it was shipped up they filled the tank but didn't add stabil to it. Once i got a 1/2 tank of new fuel in it the light went out.

chadjitsu1
04-27-2013, 09:31 AM
When I was ripping out the wiring under the dash i noticed that there were a few push together connectors that came loose right in that area. I assumed that they were for the safety lanyard. These wires were green and because they were unpluged I didn't know exactly what the polarity would be. If it was just for the lanyard it wouldn't make any difference about the polarity. Does anyone know what the green wires are for behind the check engine / vdrive light panel?

I did put stabil in the gas tank last year and filled it up the tank with new before I hit the lake yesterday. I am noticing that the battery is charging good according to the gauge and the oil pressure is high, I just don't like seeing that light as I'm sure all of you can relate.

I will take the boat out and run it around as much as possible and try to get the gas out of it and refill to see if that helps. What is this "Year Battery Issue". I have never heard of that before